What's new

MK11 Rewards Patient Players

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Never been a fan of this "wild west Mexican standoff" "playing chicken" game style.
Waiting for the other player to do something in order to punish is really lame, and as an enforced game play mechanic it's just boring.

It comes down to whoever presses first will get whiff punished, which is MEH.

I like games that force you to actually push forward, such as GGX taking away your meter if you turtle.

It's not that it's a bad or good mechanic, it's different and personally I find it boring to play. Mainly all matches end close to timeout and you end up waiting 30 seconds for a move then you make a mistake and you lose.

I hope this won't be the final meta as I really don't enjoy street fighter and I don't want mk to take this path in the long run. :(

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I think every fg rewards patience cause everytime you fight people you want to beat him as fast as you can and you make a lot of mistakes.
I’ve once played a guy and got the only true master trophy (10% hp beating opponent’s 90%) with patience. And he was Smoke and I was Cryomancer

MalevolentFix

haha shokan queen go down up
Why do you need a dash to do this??

People were already doing that in the beta with walking backwards. D1 with Scorpion, walk back, whiff punish their retaliation poke.
I just think it's weird to not be able to dash in a 2D fighter that's all. I understand just walking, and walking is a fundamental skill that everyone should have I'm not saying dashing > walking but why can't we have both?

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I just think it's weird to not be able to dash in a 2D fighter that's all. I understand just walking, and walking is a fundamental skill that everyone should have I'm not saying dashing > walking but why can't we have both?
Yeah, With such zoney style Gameplay we will need dashing as well balance it out!
+ Is there even a 2D Fighting game w/o Dashing? that'd be very weird
thankfully It has been buffed

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
We have both. Dashing is just the inferior option, which imo, it should be.

It's all moot anyway, dashing has been buffed so. Meh. lol

Imagine a fighting game where you can't backdash as a read to force a whiff punish opportunity.
Yeah, With such zoney style Gameplay we will need dashing as well balance it out!
+ Is there even a 2D Fighting game w/o Dashing? that'd be very weird
thankfully It has been buffed
wow did we really reach the age where people haven't played fucking street fighter 2?

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
Waiting for the other player to do something in order to punish is really lame, and as an enforced game play mechanic it's just boring.

It comes down to whoever presses first will get whiff punished, which is MEH.
My own random opinion, but this sounds overly pessimistic and a bit oversimplifying. This assumes every attack is unsafe and always punishable, and that's not true. There are still plenty of ways to pressure, shimmy, and bait the opponent safely; they're not going to give you huge damage, but that's how it should be.

It's all about trying to create the opportunity where you can land the big damage moves (by getting the opponent to whiff, or by opening them up), and that's the really cool strategy aspect, where patience and fundamentals are key. You're not just stuck passively waiting until somebody finally decides to yolo and does the job for you (because you're right, that game would be boring as hell).

MKX and Injustice 2 were already tests of a different meta. In MKX, most rushdown is totally safe as long as you hit your button before the opponent hits theirs. In Inj2, most zoning is totally safe as long as you can run away and avoid your opponent. The only thing MK11 is enforcing is that neither of those strategies will work anymore. Most people seem pretty psyched about that.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I think we have plenty of defensive tools and ways to open up the opponent.
For wiffs you can use pushback strings on block creating the illusion it's thier turn (Frame Traps) then there is pushback into footsie, move slightly out of range and use your strongest neutral Tool (mid)with kabal this was B12D2.
Then we have poke game, on hit: a D1 garanteed my F4(9f mid)/D3 and a D3 garanteed F224(11f mid) and D4 garanteed B12 so I had plenty of options to open them up. I honestly didn't need back dash and walk back is so fast it was very effective.
I think Flawless Block is probably the best tool to open up your opponent but I didn't have enough time to confirm this.

What I'm concerned about is characters like Liu Kang, Lao and Jax who are exceptions to the rule. NRS said they didn't want characters having multiple mix-up tools from OH/Low but they all have 50/50 launchers. We shall see how this works.