What's new

MK11 one of the most balanced NRS games - Do you agree?

kinger

Noob
Well I think we are all talking about char balance instead of variation balance, let's be honest you have to look at the variations separately to determine the best from the worst! There are some pretty bad variations out there if you ask me. Everyone will say Cassie is a great character but not if you pick her third variation! so now that variation doesn't count cause she has two others! The worst variations are quite bad compared to the best!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
lol no

So im the only one who thinks this game is horribly balanced?
You're not, this game is not balanced as good as people think. Its average at best, definitely not way more than i2, mk9 etc not when you have dumb variations like broken jacqui 3, geras, cetrion and 100 other things busted about this game. Also like someone said try winning with Raiden, Skarlet, Kollector etc then tell me this game is balanced so I can laugh.

Last edited:

ryublaze

Noob
I think everyone agrees that it's balanced. Sure characters like Liu Kang, Geras and Cetrion might seem broken compared to the rest of the cast while Raiden and Kollector are nowhere to be seen, but there has to be a top/bottom 5. That's just the nature of fgs.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
You're not, this game is not balanced as good as people think. Its average at best, definitely not way more than i2, mk9 etc not when you have dumb variations like broken jacqui 3, geras, cetrion and 100 other things busted about this game. Also like someone said try winning with Raiden, Skarlet, Kollector etc then tell me this game is balanced so I can laugh.
This guy thinks MK9 is more balanced than MK11 lol.

MK9 is one of the modt broken fighting games ever made (still fun though). Also your Skarlet example is useless, she is well balanced and so is Kollector since the last patch. Raiden is okay, definitely not unwinnable like you suggested.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
You're not, this game is not balanced as good as people think. Its average at best, definitely not way more than i2, mk9 etc not when you have dumb variations like broken jacqui 3, geras, cetrion and 100 other things busted about this game.
Lmao — did you just compare Cetrion and Jacqui to Kabal and Cyrax? Come on man.

There’s rose-colored glasses, and then there’s just straight-up untruthfulness. That’s crazy.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Also like someone said try winning with Raiden, Skarlet, Kollector etc then tell me this game is balanced so I can laugh
But low tier characters exist in pretty much any fighting game. Raiden is at least a viable character, even if he's one of the worse characters. You can play him and still be able to outplay your opponent for a win.

Compared to past games, when there were literally characters who were almost unplayable with how bad they were, MK11 is very well balanced.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
But low tier characters exist in pretty much any fighting game. Raiden is at least a viable character, even if he's one of the worse characters. You can play him and still be able to outplay your opponent for a win.

Compared to past games, when there were literally characters who were almost unplayable with how bad they were, MK11 is very well balanced.
No, you don't.

MKF30

I disagree about him being viable, he's not really viable compared to the rest of the roster maybe in Rajin but even that died fast but not the other two variations. Not saying he can't win in TW but it's hard and he needs serious buffs to be competitively viable. That's not to say I haven't beaten Scorps, Cassie's, Jades etc with him but it's a struggle and not worth the stress honestly. MK 11 is not very well balanced, too much gimmicky crap.

There’s rose-colored glasses, and then there’s just straight-up untruthfulness. That’s crazy.
Wait what? I never mentioned Kabal and Cyrax, but seriously if you're referring to MK 9. Dude Cyrax was NOT that hard to beat lol. I beat him all the time with Ermac, Scorp and Sektor. All mid tiers, this game try to use a lower or mid tier against Cetrion, Geras, Jacqui and good luck with that lol. Yeah, Kabal was dumb in MK 9 but so is Jacqui V3, Geras, (Scorp pre patch first few months), etc, etc not rose gold glasses, I just took off the MK 11 blinders;) I know you love MK 11 lol but it's obvious the game has lots of flaws and tons of threads on here to back it up.

This guy thinks MK9 is more balanced than MK11 lol.

MK9 is one of the modt broken fighting games ever made (still fun though). Also your Skarlet example is useless, she is well balanced and so is Kollector since the last patch. Raiden is okay, definitely not unwinnable like you suggested.
lol if you don't think MK 11 is broken with certain characters you haven't played the game much (nevermind the shitty mechanics like breakaways, bad wake ups, glitchy hitboxes, OP throws etc, etc). LOL, Skarlet gets wrecked vs. the higher tiers in this game like Raiden lol, Kollector got better but again not enough to be on Geras, Jacqui, Jax, Cetrion etc level. Even Destroyer has said this and he's got arguably the best Kollector, that the game has too much dumb gimmicky bs. No, Raiden sucks flat out. He's a struggle to play with, win with and needs buffs but NRS hates him for whatever reason in this game. I never said using him is unwinnable, I said he's lowtier. But by all means, show me you beating Jax, Cetrion, Jacqui etc with Raiden. Oh and tons of FG are broke to a degree, look at MVC you want talk about most broken FG lol. MK 11 has the better sales than MK 9 but fun factor? HA, different story entirely and let's be honest MK 11 destroyed every FG sales wise but while that's great for NRS and WB, you know what other game sells well yearly? COD....we all know how the past few games went down prior to this year lol.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Wait what? I never mentioned Kabal and Cyrax, but seriously if you're referring to MK 9. Dude Cyrax was NOT that hard to beat lol. I beat him all the time with Ermac, Scorp and Sektor. All mid tiers, this game try to use a lower or mid tier against Cetrion, Geras, Jacqui and good luck with that lol. Yeah, Kabal was dumb in MK 9 but so is Jacqui V3, Geras, (Scorp pre patch first few months), etc, etc not rose gold glasses, I just took off the MK 11 blinders;)
This kinda invalidates anytihng you say about MK9. Dear lord :eek:

And really, MK11 too. Equating prepatch Scorpion to MK9 Kabal.. I'm speechless.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I disagree about him being viable, he's not really viable compared to the rest of the roster maybe in Rajin but even that died fast but not the other two variations. Not saying he can't win in TW but it's hard and he needs serious buffs to be competitively viable. That's not to say I haven't beaten Scorps, Cassie's, Jades etc with him but it's a struggle and not worth the stress honestly. MK 11 is not very well balanced, too much gimmicky crap.

What I'm saying is what you pointed out: It's a struggle, but you can beat Scorpion, Cassie, or Jade with him. He's not so bad that you can't find a way to outplay your competition, at least in a casual setting. He's probably not competitively viable but very few games with 25+ characters have a roster where every single character is competitively viable and consistently placing in tournaments, especially in the first competitive year. If Raiden is the low bar in terms of balance, that's actually pretty good compared to the low bars of past NRS titles or other fighting games.

He could certainly use a heavy helping of the buff stick next patch though.

MKF30

This kinda invalidates anytihng you say about MK9. Dear lord :eek:

And really, MK11 too. Equating prepatch Scorpion to MK9 Kabal.. I'm speechless.
How so? if anything it justifies my point, I never said that you like putting words in people's mouths huh? lol I never even mentioned Kabal, you're the one who keeps mentioning him. I think you have this obsession with Kabal as if he destroys everyone in MK 9. Do you want me to show you vids of me handling annoying Kabal's, KL'swith mid tiers? Getting the vibe you hardly played MK 9.

What I'm saying is what you pointed out: It's a struggle, but you can beat Scorpion, Cassie, or Jade with him. He's not so bad that you can't find a way to outplay your competition, at least in a casual setting. He's probably not competitively viable but very few games with 25+ characters have a roster where every single character is competitively viable and consistently placing in tournaments, especially in the first competitive year. If Raiden is the low bar in terms of balance, that's actually pretty good compared to the low bars of past NRS titles or other fighting games.

He could certainly use a heavy helping of the buff stick next patch though.
Yeah, but you have to realize with the exception of Jade(being a known bad matchup for her vs Raiden) most examples it's a very big struggle for Raiden, but what baffles us Raiden players more is NRS seems to not care for the character, what we've had 3 major patches now and not ONE good buff for Raiden? Nothing for TW whatsoever, obviously they're biased with their characters. Most of the time he'll lose a lot of match ups as to what makes him low tier, if he went up against characters "pro" players use daily at tourneys, he'd get wrecked, we already saw that in fact with one player who tried using him(forget the name) but that proves my point as to what I'm always saying about Raiden. First few months perhaps, first year debatable but when he like I said doesn't get ANY good buffs obviously he won't be seen in tournaments because at the end of the day he's not viable vs. those other characters you see in tourneys daily or in KL when people want to win at any cost. Now, me I use him because some days I just don't care but if I pick Raiden and someone counterpicks me with Scorpion, Geras etc I know my chances are not going to be good. I would say that's debatable honestly, low tier is still low tier at the end of the day. They're going to struggle vs higher tiers regardless of the game honestly. But I do agree with you that he needs a buff, for the love of God NRS needs to give him a buff or two in TW. Why they're not thus far I have no idea.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I'd be shocked (heh) if Raiden doesn't get some kind of substantial buff in the next patch, whenever that may be.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Yeah, Kabal was dumb in MK 9 but so is Jacqui V3, Geras, (Scorp pre patch first few months), etc, etc
lol I never even mentioned Kabal, you're the one who keeps mentioning him. I think you have this obsession with Kabal as if he destroys everyone in MK 9.
Ok. Let's just skip that one and talk about your argument.

Kabal and Cyrax had literal 9-1 and 8-2 matchups across much of the cast. They absolutely dominated the meta and by a couple years into the game's life, every top 8 was full of the same characters: Kabal, Cyrax, Sonya, Kenshi.

Some characters in that game didn't even have pokes. Like pokes were minus on hit. Come on man.

The gap between the cast has never been as large as it was in MK9, and to even compare it to MK11 is completely foolish. Just seems desperate to bash the game.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
If anyone says MK9 wasn't a balance mess they are just kidding themselves. It was an absolute train wreck and Injustice 1 was not much better. MK9 was so ridiculous that it trashed NRS's reputation in the competitive scene of the FGC so hard that it is still working against that perception. Kabal, Cyrax, Sonya... broken. There is nothing like that in the last generation of NRS games, not even remotely close.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
The game has the best balance of an NRS game. It's easy to say it's not when you don't look at FG and NRS history.

All this thread is doing is really giving people who don't like the game a reason to be vocal.
THIS.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
If Raiden is the low bar in terms of balance, that's actually pretty good compared to the low bars of past NRS titles or other fighting games.
This right here. No one in MK11 is MK9 Kano/Sheeva/Stryker tier and no one in MK11 is MKX release Raiden/Quan Chi/Tanya tier.

The top tier characters in MK11 are nothing to scoff at; but at least they aren't looping physically impossible to react to hard-to-blockables that are also completely safe or doing 40%+ 1-bar midscreen combos that end in insane corner carry which results in 60% corner combos that are started off a safe 50/50 that can deal insane safe chip and meter build for the opponent on block if you guess right.

MKF30

Oh yes, MK 11 is so "balanced" the Final 8 had 6 Geras players, 2 not. Real diverse right there lol. I seem to recall CD jr winning a tourney with Rain and Osu 16 with Kitana. I guess they were not balanced too. shrugs

Ok. Let's just skip that one and talk about your argument.

Kabal and Cyrax had literal 9-1 and 8-2 matchups across much of the cast. They absolutely dominated the meta and by a couple years into the game's life, every top 8 was full of the same characters: Kabal, Cyrax, Sonya, Kenshi.

Some characters in that game didn't even have pokes. Like pokes were minus on hit. Come on man.

The gap between the cast has never been as large as it was in MK9, and to even compare it to MK11 is completely foolish. Just seems desperate to bash the game.
Yes, I mentioned him AFTER you brought him up. Let's skip that one indeed. ;) My initial post I never mentioned Kabal, this is my post you responded to. I never mentioned characters specifically, but MK 9 to MK 11. Also getting the vibe you really struggled vs those two characters. Cyrax wasn't nearly as tough as people made him out to be, he had 70%-100% resets sure. But never had the 100% landed on me ever, and the most I had landed on me was 60%. I don't see how that's any worse than eating a Geras loop for 40% then getting hit with a KB for another 30% or Baraka's damage 55% off 2 KB's in one combo? lol Kabal's biggest problem was his dash pressure, how is this any different than Jacqui's or Jax's in this game? Up close it's nearly impossible to get away from them. At least with Kabal you could poke him out of the dash cancels. With Jax it feels lucky, and Jacqui I just don't see it happening at all. Others on here have already complained about her 3rd variation being broken. To ignore this is foolish.

Where in this statement did I mention Kabal or Cyrax from MK 9?:confused: I was elaborating on a prior point, I never mentioned them specifically. You did however.

That was also after the games life of most feeling that way. This game isn't even a year old, we have 3 Variations per character some of which clearly broken at least atm. Depending on how NRS patches it will determine how lopsided some matchups will be. Kabal is one thing, but Cyrax was heavily overrated. Like I said I played top Cyrax's on Xbox all the time and beat them with Ermac and Sektor. Mid tiers, Sektor I vividly remember being debatable. Ermac that was said to not be in his favor. You mean like how Scorp dominated the meta in MK 11 til they patched him? lol Geras, Cetrion, Jacqui, Jax dominate most of the roster in this game namely up close. Geras and Cet are just dumb, they both have way too many tools to virtually never be safe from them despite where you are on the screen. Dude, Sonya was only a big deal because of Sonic Fox, most players did not play her that well lol. Kenshi another character one player was known for, the game overall had more balance because there wasn't any gimmicky, inconsistent nonsense that MK 11 is filled with plus the wake ups, rolls etc actually worked in that game lol.

Dude, what are you talking about there's a whole video of REO explaining why pokes are better in MK 9 than MK 11. Throws are dumb in MK 11, they literally throw you out of crouch ducking animations which is beyond stupid.

Not bashing the game at all, just calling it how it is. I spent my hard earned money on it like anyone else that also gives me the right to critique it if I so wish. People want what they paid for.

Lastly, If this game is so much better than MK 9 then why do most players prefer MK 9 over MK 11 when polled on every major MK site and/or Reddit? To deny this is ridiculous. You love MK 11, that's great and all but you can't deny the games flaws. What you're forgetting is if not for MK 9's success to not just bringing the series back again to be relevant but without it you'd have no MK 11. Can't deny those facts. That being said, I would bet you anything if MK 9 remastered, updated with better netcode dropped tomorrow half the world would drop MK 11 in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
I really don't think NRS is purposefully ignoring Raiden. I just think in these 3 or 4 big patches we got he was overlooked because there were more pressing issues. Now that there is real buzz over how ass he is im sure he will get some attention next patch.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
Cyrax wasn't nearly as tough as people made him out to be, he had 70%-100% resets sure. But never had the 100% landed on me ever, and the most I had landed on me was 60%.
Lol, this sentence alone makes it not even worth addressing the rest of this post. "Only 60%" "Well he never did it to me even if it happened to everyone else".

You're talking about a character with a 100% life reset as "Yeah he could literally take your lifebar in a single touch it but it's fine, more balanced than MK11".

"That's gonna do 80% if he doesn't drop it"

Insane :eek:

Last edited:

MKF30

We'll see what happens
Lmao, this sentence alone makes it not even worth addressing the rest of this post. "Only 60%" "Well he never did it to me even if it happened to everyone else".

You're talking about a character with a 100% life reset as "Yeah he could literally take your lifebar in a single touch it but it's fine, more balanced than MK11".

"That's gonna do 80% if he doesn't drop it"

Insane :eek:
Lol again not sure why you're making up quotes I never said, it doesnt look good for you. I said the most done to me was 60% if that high, I never said "only" you should work for the press, youd be perfect lol :D show me serious matches where cyrax "takes 100% with ease" in a tournament or high level match. How often has cyrax dominated mk 9 tourneys?majors etc?

Just because a character can do that doesnt mean it's easy to consistently get, prime example of this is umk3 but obviously you're a millennial or gen zer. Guess what, cyrax in that game has 100% combo yet hes low tier. Hmmm.

See the thing is consistently not dropping it or hitting it, which dont happen often in a high level match often. At least I can break out of it easier than mk 11 dumb stagger safe jacqui upgraded free pressure that has 40% unbreakable combos Because that's totally "balanced" and not insane?

Geras totally not broken...right?

His loop patched but still insanely good damage, his jump in has plus into easy 50 50, can anti zone, zone, rushdown, lots of KBs etc, etc

Last edited:

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Lastly, If this game is so much better than MK 9 then why do most players prefer MK 9 over MK 11 when polled on every major MK site and/or Reddit? To deny this is ridiculous. You love MK 11, that's great and all but you can't deny the games flaws. What you're forgetting is if not for MK 9's success to not just bringing the series back again to be relevant but without it you'd have no MK 11. Can't deny those facts. That being said, I would bet you anything if MK 9 remastered, updated with better netcode dropped tomorrow half the world would drop MK 11 in a heartbeat.
Mortal Kombat 9 was special in the sense that the game was NRS's first attempt at a competitive fighting game after a succession of embarrassingly broken fighting games. You played the 3D Mortal Kombat games and you know exactly what they were like. Mortal Kombat 9 will always be remembered as giving birth to the modern NRS community, as forming local scenes and friendships that continue to last to this day. The game itself, however, is degenerate, a catastrophically unbalanced piece of mess that is plagued with bugs, glitches, and irregularities. Mortal Kombat 9 was beyond repair in its coding and no "one more patch please" or "remastered version" could have saved the game. Mortal Kombat 11 is objectively better in every single way. As were the finished versions of Mortal Kombat X and Injustice 2. I say so as someone who played Mortal Kombat 9 religiously and placed top 8 at EVO.

Last edited: