What's new

MK11 new mechanic was meant to bring players from other fighting games?

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Do you think the drastic changes made in mk11 was intentionally to get pro players from other games?
Well I hope every game creator has the intent to pull players from everywhere. It's good business practice and just common sense to make your games appeal to not only all skill levels but all types of players in the FGC.

If it was only made with competitive players in mind the game would die shortly after. There has to be a balance, somewhere in the middle us what you want for a truly awesome game that lasts the tests of time (like Geras's billionth life cycle)

LawAbidingCitizen

Scorpion in particular to be unfounded and that for once he will actually be a viable character. I would love to see him be top tier or hell just even USED successfully in tournaments, lol. Everyone that did play him usually ended up having to switch to a better character near the end.
Umm what game are you talking about, mkx he was top tier there where better characters but he was absolutely tournament viable. No character is able to have advantage over the entire cast. You will always see character swaps because that's part of the counter pick meta.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
The only thing I'm not 100% sold on is requiring meter just to do combos which seems to be the case for most but not ALL of the cast. This may create an imbalance.
They balance it by giving you very simple zoning options and no easy way in for that meterless damage. Sonya is a perfect example. I think her launches aren't safe either. She has a lot of drawbacks to all that meterless damage

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
One thing I'm seeing a lot is people aren't piecing together what NRS may want players to do to get their damage and longer combos. Meter regen will be huge in that regard...2-bar combos are gonna be frequent because there isn't as much of a worry as to how to get that meter back, your defensive options are designated to an entirely separate meter, and traditional breakers no longer exist. Krushing Blow is also a big element to those lengthy combos.

As for the simplification of the game, that's not true at all. 2 separate meters, the revamped wakeup mechanics tied to the defense meter or both meters, Flawless Blocking, etc. And who knows how offense will be...we haven't seen anything develop yet since the game isn't out. This game could end up very heavy on offense.

LawAbidingCitizen

Watching the Online Stress Test Beta live and I guess it's settled:
FYI
I watched Scarlet pull off a 46% combo (16hits) from a normal string launcher midscreen. Combos have not been taken away at all! We will see after a few days from footage.

I'll post a video of longer combos when I get them
Video goes here:

It's NOT a rant thread, the gameplay looks fine.

But something tells me that Eb Boon is trying to invoque SF players or other fighting game community to experiment MK11. It's just about money, not the satisfaction of long age mk fans.

The low paced footsie style, with less combos is a proof to me.

Eb Boon has one major quality: He dont have fear to change. But was too drastic. Some fights reminds me the ps2 era games (without 3d). And the zoning is absurd.

Again, it's not a rant, so i ask to you ;

Do you think the drastic changes made in mk11 was intentionally to get pro players from other games?
Couldn’t have said it better, they should at least admit they are toning the game difficulty down for slower players. That’s why I never liked SF compared to other fighters, just too slow and boring throwing pokes.

Long combos are not what makes a fighting game good.

If anything, these are the more gamefaqs type responses. It's not all about combos guys. The fun of fighting games comes from out-thinking, out-spacing, out-playing your opponent.
Every fighting game has that mechanic...they slowed the game down so less skilled people can play now

Maybe thats because the players had only a couple hours with the game? Even the brasilian players were better from just having knowledge about the game beforehand. As for combos they arent the main focus of fighting games. If you get the same damage on 3 hits vs 15 then theres not much pause between the mind games. If Im not mistaken thats what people liked about samurai showdown.
I think he means they changed the overall game speed to appease SF players and slower players.

Say what you want about Ed Boon, but I'm sure at the end of the day he wants to make a really good fighting game product. Not just a fighting game that many samplers and casuals will enjoy, but he wants to take it to the next level and also include many of the competitive fighting game players interest. People don't appreciate how valuable someone with Ed Boon's mentality is. Yeah, he makes games that sell millions, usually win game of the year, and are chock full of content. But that isn't enough for Ed. He wants his fighting games to be the best that they can be in every single area. Meaning he wants his games to captivate and amaze the hardcore competitive players as well. Look at all the things NRS improves on that they don't necessarily have to touch to get their games to sell, but do so because they want the game to be the best in every category.

Things like training mode improvements, frame data inclusion, learning mode, GGPO, match-making rankings, flawless blocking, short hopping, etc. etc. I'm positive all of these features are going to be oblivious to 90% of the people that purchase MK11 . But NRS is doing it because they want to make a game that is the best in every category. I'm sure Ed Boon would love it if they make a game that completely dominates e-sports, the competitive scene, and the FGC as a whole. I think this is the next direction NRS is trying to include with their games going forward. They want to create the best possible product ever that will be enjoyable by players at any level, and talked about in a positive manner no matter what standard the game is viewed in.
Jack of all trades and master of none...

That all seemed pretty self righteous...why take out things that were difficult to pull off like run cancles. Why is running gone? Because slower players complained and got dominated. Now we have a dumbed down mk

Umm hyperbole much?

Lowest combo there was 13 hits, now call me crazy, but i never saw any combo in MKX that was 130hits?

At worst they're ~50% shorter than the longest MKX combos.

But we still haven't seen all characters and it's still early days.
Not really, literally like 2-3 hits bounce 2-3 hits again or more with a meter. they just give massive damage to the new blow...that’s it

LawAbidingCitizen

Not really, literally like 2-3 hits bounce 2-3 hits again or more with a meter. they just give massive damage to the new blow...that’s
Not really I just watched a 46% 16hit combo by a Scarlet player that was started from no meter and used no fatal blow.
I also seen a Baraka combo that did 49% damage and involved 3x Krushing blows and no fatal blow.

What I'm getting at is these combos where long but require knowledge of the character and game to pull off. Instead of having someone get 50% from a Braindead ermac/Tekeda combo started from HTBs (That was MKX) MK 11 focuses on meeting higher requirements to get that kind of damage and the characters are not 50/50monsters and no more Hard To Blockables.

You will have to have some people to see the combos you are wanting since players don't have practice mode in the OST build right now. It will take players longer to figure out every Krushing Blow and how to utilize things like Flawless Block which will facilitate more combo punishers.
They are playing on the fly without time to lab it up.
But I promise if you keep an eye on the Scarlet, Baraka and Scorpion threads in the next 3 days you will see some beautiful combos and much more on Open BETA on 28th.

Speed of game:
This game according to every pro in the OST closedbeta says it's fast but just seems slow. Some moves are semi-reactable but not fully reactable meaning it requires a soft read to block most of them.this encourages players to think about what they throw out more and play better and use fundamentals like neutral.

They all say it's more akin to MK9 than MKX. You should not be comparing the game to MKX in any way because it's not that game.
It has taken good things from MK9 and X.

• Has better neutral than MKX
  • Combos take more knowledge to pull off.
  • Customization at it's finest.
  • Characters are more balanced than they ever have been so far.
  • Allows all types of players to have a fighting chance if they understand fundies.
MK9 was a balance nightmare and had only 5-7 characters at majors through it's later days. Broken stuff like Kabals IAGBs, NDC pressure, Cyrax Resets.

The good things about MK9 was Anti-Airs and a more neutral based style St least compared to MKX.

MKX was a 50/50 nightmare with Hard2Blockables on top of Cancel pressure on top of tick throws on top of you guessed it 50/50s that turn into 50/50s. This game was not without Resets and Vortex's. Another problem about that was certain characters got to keep it while others got nerfed.

Don't get me wrong, I loved both those games but they where far from perfect. MKX focused on rewarding rushdown and punished other playstyles.

My suggestion is to not compare MK11 to either of them because they are going into a new direction and it looks like a good one. Most of your concerns will be laid to rest after game drops and we get full access to the final version of the game.

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
It's NOT a rant thread, the gameplay looks fine.

But something tells me that Eb Boon is trying to invoque SF players or other fighting game community to experiment MK11. It's just about money, not the satisfaction of long age mk fans.

The low paced footsie style, with less combos is a proof to me.

Eb Boon has one major quality: He dont have fear to change. But was too drastic. Some fights reminds me the ps2 era games (without 3d). And the zoning is absurd.

Again, it's not a rant, so i ask to you ;

The neutral its the most important aspect to any fighting game, it ties all aspects and consequences from a fighting game together, how you lead a game, how you open someone and how you do extend your advantage when a mistake is made, play around the clock, anything.

this is why this game is going to be so good, when two players with strong defense match, it will be one hell of a game. Combos are still in the game and i'm glad they don't run half of the clock.

Besides NRS started to nerf long combos way before in MKX, remember Cyrax combos? Demo Sonya combos? those shit were way too long, and all MKX combos were all corner carry which bored the hell out of me after 3 weeks, every single character combo had the exact same goals all in one, carry someone in the corner gain life lead, and earn a mix.

I think this is what bothered me the most in MKX

Even tekken which is a much harder game, has a very solid neutral and whe you see two very good players going at it, its always breath taking because one is trying to maintain advantage while the other is trying to steal it, you won't see much combos in it until someone makes like a huge mistake which allows the punishing players to extend/close the gap between him or the other player which dramatically changes the game even more. This is where all the mechanics of it work pretty well, something i expect MK 11 achieves in the future.
@Eddy Wang says it perfectly here. By slowing it down it will force you to think about your approach insted of the run and mix style of mkx. As for the zoning I haven't seen anything that looks OP or unreactable. Zoning characters are a very important archetype in 2d games as long as there is an answer to their zoning. A zoner is designed to frustrate you into making mistakes.To answer the last question no. I think mk11 is the style of game a majority of the community wants. You are not going to see top Japanese or Korean players coming over from Tekken or Street Fighter because as far as im aware mk is still banned there so I dont think that would be the motivation behind the change.