What's new

MK11 new mechanic was meant to bring players from other fighting games?

Derico

Banned
It's NOT a rant thread, the gameplay looks fine.

But something tells me that Eb Boon is trying to invoque SF players or other fighting game community to experiment MK11. It's just about money, not the satisfaction of long age mk fans.

The low paced footsie style, with less combos is a proof to me.

Eb Boon has one major quality: He dont have fear to change. But was too drastic. Some fights reminds me the ps2 era games (without 3d). And the zoning is absurd.

Again, it's not a rant, so i ask to you ;

Do you think the drastic changes made in mk11 was intentionally to get pro players from other games?

Last edited:
Its obvious they do this. All they focus on is Esports, we could of have tons of modes and even tag return. But we just know esports is always the priority.

Derico

Banned
Eb Boon always changed, for the better. This time, i don't know... Sincerely.

Fighting game mark it is the core gameplay.
Changing so dramatically is personality crisis.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
the change is good, it's welcome .... MKX it's too much fast pace frenetic, that benefits the rushdown players a lot, even more with those annoying 50/50 all over on it .... see, MKX is not a bad game by any means, but MK11 it's a positive step for evolution on MK franchise regarding gameplay options and strategic approach when you have 2 players more or less at the same skill level fighting each other .... now, players will have to work more and be smart to win matches, and this is much more entertainment to watch at high level competion. ;)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Short combos again, really?

Did you see Kano's crazy combo?

Did you see Sonya's combos?

Did you see Johnny's combos?

Cassie's gonna have some freaking good options with her low pop-up and stagger to further extend them.

This isn't SFV and plays nothing like it. If you think MK11 is going to be about comboing high kick, mid punch, low kick into a special like SF you're mistaken.

They want to enforce the neutral game, the footsies, the mind games, whiff punishes, all that good stuff. Relax and wait to play the game.

Derico

Banned
Incredible how the many gamefaqs-like replies i had here, was from premium supporters.

Not generalizing, of course.

Disappointed.

Derico

Banned
Short combos again, really?

Did you see Kano's crazy combo?

Did you see Sonya's combos?

Did you see Johnny's combos?

Cassie's gonna have some freaking good options with her low pop-up and stagger to further extend them.

This isn't SFV and plays nothing like it. If you think MK11 is going to be about comboing high kick, mid punch, low kick into a special like SF you're mistaken.

They want to enforce the neutral game, the footsies, the mind games, whiff punishes, all that good stuff. Relax and wait to play the game.
In comparison with mkx, yes, shorter combos.

Try to watch Check mkxl combo videos again, maybe you forgot how crazy that game was in combos.

REO

Undead
Say what you want about Ed Boon, but I'm sure at the end of the day he wants to make a really good fighting game product. Not just a fighting game that many samplers and casuals will enjoy, but he wants to take it to the next level and also include many of the competitive fighting game players interest. People don't appreciate how valuable someone with Ed Boon's mentality is. Yeah, he makes games that sell millions, usually win game of the year, and are chock full of content. But that isn't enough for Ed. He wants his fighting games to be the best that they can be in every single area. Meaning he wants his games to captivate and amaze the hardcore competitive players as well. Look at all the things NRS improves on that they don't necessarily have to touch to get their games to sell, but do so because they want the game to be the best in every category.

Things like training mode improvements, frame data inclusion, learning mode, GGPO, match-making rankings, flawless blocking, short hopping, etc. etc. I'm positive all of these features are going to be oblivious to 90% of the people that purchase MK11 . But NRS is doing it because they want to make a game that is the best in every category. I'm sure Ed Boon would love it if they make a game that completely dominates e-sports, the competitive scene, and the FGC as a whole. I think this is the next direction NRS is trying to include with their games going forward. They want to create the best possible product ever that will be enjoyable by players at any level, and talked about in a positive manner no matter what standard the game is viewed in.

Derico

Banned
Say what you want about Ed Boon, but I'm sure at the end of the day he wants to make a really good fighting game product. Not just a fighting game that many samplers and casuals will enjoy, but he wants to take it to the next level and also include many of the competitive fighting game players interest. People don't appreciate how valuable someone with Ed Boon's mentality is. Yeah, he makes games that sell millions, usually win game of the year, and are chock full of content. But that isn't enough for Ed. He wants his fighting games to be the best that they can be in every single area. Meaning he wants his games to captivate and amaze the hardcore competitive players as well. Look at all the things NRS improves on that they don't necessarily have to touch to get their games to sell, but do so because they want the game to be the best in every category.

Things like training mode improvements, frame data inclusion, learning mode, GGPO, match-making rankings, flawless blocking, short hopping, etc. etc. I'm positive all of these features are going to be oblivious to 90% of the people that purchase MK11 . But NRS is doing it because they want to make a game that is the best in every category. I'm sure Ed Boon would love it if they make a game that completely dominates e-sports, the competitive scene, and the FGC as a whole. I think this is the next direction NRS is trying to include with their games going forward. They want to create the best possible product ever that will be enjoyable by players at any level, and talked about in a positive manner no matter what standard the game is viewed in.
I think that wasn't for me, because i love ed boon and said he has the quality to not fear to try something new, to change.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator

Try to watch Check mkxl combo videos again, maybe you forgot how crazy that game was in combos.
I played Hunter Predator and Cassie, I remember, but even if they SEEM shortened right now,
  1. We haven't played it yet
  2. The game is Pre-Beta
  3. Once we master a character, the combos will probably be much longer
Again I say, wait to play it. Comparing it to SFV combos is ridiculous, it's nothing like it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior

Long combos are not what makes a fighting game good.

If anything, these are the more gamefaqs type responses. It's not all about combos guys. The fun of fighting games comes from out-thinking, out-spacing, out-playing your opponent.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
I remember my hype down from 1000 to zero when they showed the exhibition (mini tourney) on the gameplay reveal event.

First time seeing the game, and looking that tons of zoning was painful to watch.
Maybe thats because the players had only a couple hours with the game? Even the brasilian players were better from just having knowledge about the game beforehand. As for combos they arent the main focus of fighting games. If you get the same damage on 3 hits vs 15 then theres not much pause between the mind games. If Im not mistaken thats what people liked about samurai showdown.

Derico

Banned
Long combos are not what makes a fighting game good.

If anything, these are the more gamefaqs type responses. It's not all about combos guys. The fun of fighting games comes from out-thinking, out-spacing, out-playing your opponent.
The fun of fighting games is personal. Taste thing.

End of story.