What's new

Mk11 Life?

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
All depends on this coming patch, but in its current state, maybe. Not enough depth in this meta to last very long.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I don't think it's out of the question that the game could die off as quick as INJ2. There's a large group of people (me included) that are already bored with the game. There needs to be a patch, but we won't be getting one until after EVO.

The game will probably survive strictly because it's Mortal Kombat.

Personally, I don't find it fun to play or watch right now. I'm really hoping that changes soon, because I love this franchise.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
No I don't. There is plenty I don't like about MK11:
  • Meter System instant regen and cost for powerful moves.
  • Fatal Blows that fuck neutral (Jax etc)
  • KB requirements being janked for many characters and far to easy for others.
  • WiFi only online and Kombat League forcing you to play 149ms matches that can be worse after start. No way to decline 100ms + ping and WiFi players.
  • FT2 ranked only instead of having multiple options.
  • lack of combo paths in many Variations. Characters not having base moves that launch.
  • lack of combo enders (side switch/HKD/Restands etc) with many characters.
  • Hitbox issues across the board. Worse than I've seen in MK titles recently.
But its an amazing game and has a cool focus on footsie, Number of hit mix, Staggers, Shimmy and MU knowledge mind games which I love. The characters are way more honest than previous titles. There is some cool stuff to discover yet.
Shang Tsung baby, and Nightwolf, Sindel, Spawn on the way. Kustomization of characters and moves in casual modes(hopefully ranked)
We have yet to see everything to come and the game is barley 3 months old.
Mounds of tech to discover and we have a patch coming which will make everything fresh and I hope we get a big patch next and minor ones to follow every 3 months.

I don't see this game dying in 5 years. NRS said they will support this game longer than any previous title and Ed Boon expressed not wanting to make fighters any time soon maybe moving on to other genres in the future so MK11 could be the last and supported longer than any other and MK9/MKX may get reboots but I think it will be at least 4 years before they drop IJ3 if they do.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
No I don't. There is plenty I don't like about MK11:
  • Meter System instant regen and cost for powerful moves.
  • Fatal Blows that fuck neutral (Jax etc)
  • KB requirements being janked for many characters and far to easy for others.
  • WiFi only online and Kombat League forcing you to play 149ms matches that can be worse after start. No way to decline 100ms + ping and WiFi players.
  • FT2 ranked only instead of having multiple options.
  • lack of combo paths in many Variations. Characters not having base moves that launch.
  • lack of combo enders (side switch/HKD/Restands etc) with many characters.
  • Hitbox issues across the board. Worse than I've seen in MK titles recently.
But its an amazing game and has a cool focus on footsie, Number of hit mix, Staggers, Shimmy and MU knowledge mind games which I love. The characters are way more honest than previous titles. There is some cool stuff to discover yet.
Shang Tsung baby, and Nightwolf, Sindel, Spawn on the way. Kustomization of characters and moves in casual modes(hopefully ranked)
We have yet to see everything to come and the game is barley 3 months old.
Mounds of tech to discover and we have a patch coming which will make everything fresh and I hope we get a big patch next and minor ones to follow every 3 months.

I don't see this game dying in 5 years. NRS said they will support this game longer than any previous title and Ed Boon expressed not wanting to make fighters any time soon maybe moving on to other genres in the future so MK11 could be the last and supported longer than any other and MK9/MKX may get reboots but I think it will be at least 4 years before they drop IJ3 if they do.
well said ! anyway, who decides when a new MK game will come out, it's WB, not NRS or Ed Boon ... I agree that would be nice to see MK11 having its life cycle longer than usual , but, if WB put pressure to keep comin' with that 2 years schedule, there is nothing that NRS can do about it .... these games do a lot of money, and so, WB , as the major owner and producer, its the one that dictates the rythm of production, and so, all depends of their action and strategy plan regarding the franchise, so, is up to Warner Bros to decide things here, hehe :joker:

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
well said ! anyway, who decides when a new MK game will come out, it's WB, not NRS or Ed Boon ... I agree that would be nice to see MK11 having its life cycle longer than usual , but, if WB put pressure to keep comin' with that 2 years schedule, there is nothing that NRS can do about it .... these games do a lot of money, and so, WB , as the major owner and producer, its the one that dictates the rythm of production, and so, all depends of their action and strategy plan regarding the franchise, so, is up to Warner Bros to decide things here, hehe :joker:
You are absolutely right. I am going off what Boon and other founders said. I believe boon knows what WB wants and was basically saying they are wanting to do other things besides fighters which will suck but also be kinda cool. I only really play fighters so kinda shit for me but I believe they have tons of potential to do other things. I don't think its like a forced to do scenario and think the founders can decide to go along or not with anything.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
I don't think it's out of the question that the game could die off as quick as INJ2. There's a large group of people (me included) that are already bored with the game. There needs to be a patch, but we won't be getting one until after EVO.

The game will probably survive strictly because it's Mortal Kombat.

Personally, I don't find it fun to play or watch right now. I'm really hoping that changes soon, because I love this franchise.
I have to agree here. I got bored of this game in 3 months, but could be that I just didn't like the new mechanics and was not sold on the roster either.

Also, I don't think the lack of information and patch schedule that nrs seems to have now is going to help keeping people's interest in the game.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
You are absolutely right. I am going off what Boon and other founders said. I believe boon knows what WB wants and was basically saying they are wanting to do other things besides fighters which will suck but also be kinda cool. I only really play fighters so kinda shit for me but I believe they have tons of potential to do other things. I don't think its like a forced to do scenario and think the founders can decide to go along or not with anything.
fair enough ! variety is good for business, and so, if WB want other kind of game, that's ok, a lot of people in TYM had already agreed with this idea, and shown support to .... sure is, they will NEVER stop doing MK games, the franchise is a golden pot, so, we can be safe about our dearest franchise, hehe ..... anyway, we have patience, and we can wait 6 to 8 years from now , to see a MK 12 popping up .... until there, a new IP, or NRS doing another game genre, would be welcome indeed .... maybe a Arkham style game, using MK characters ? wow, that would be a blast, sir ! :D

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
I highly doubt NRS will do other games besides fighting. They may have some like Ed Boon and others go to the other studios as creative consultants. Warner Brothers has other companies making other games. DCU online is one that comes to mind. many many people who worked on that game worked at Netherrealm too. Anyway, who knows the lifespan. Many fighting games like street fighter/mvc/smash brothers have had a stinker here and there.

and this game has the benefit of being on the switch which even if not the best version per what people say as i don't have one, it does open up a wider audience which Injustice 2 did not have. Even though i feel the game should play faster and have had more characters at launch. I still love it.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
As much as people are saying no, this is a plausible concern because the route NRS is taking with this game is already making the game stale. The game had a very rough start regardless of its sales, many were not satisfied from the start. From ToT mess, to lack of information/communication, online being worst than the beta, info leaked, etc we can't deny all this has played a role where the game stands now. Im pretty sure announcements at EVO will bring excitement to this game right back because we do have a hype DLC roster, but will this be a repeat of people trying the new characters then dropping it again after a week?

With the lack of variety in the tournament variations, this game can go down worst than INJ2. Will it? I doubt it but its possible.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
if Nrs would not fix the krypt, it will be too short even for me. Btw i am playing this game at least for 4-5 hours per day. i don't want to earn koins than play krypt to unlock the rest of the gear pieces which is no one knows where the hell are they. Some of my favourite gears are among them. i do want to find them asap and focusing on the online only.

I don't care if the game is declared dead or not. I am having fun playing this game and IMO it's the best NRS game to date. The question is are YOU having fun with the game? I don't care if other communities shit on it(which I don't think is the case anymore) or anybody else talks down on the game. It won't stop me from playing. If you love the game and still want to play the game, will you all of the sudden stop bc people say it's "dead"?

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I don't care if the game is declared dead or not. I am having fun playing this game and IMO it's the best NRS game to date. The question is are YOU having fun with the game? I don't care if other communities shit on it(which I don't think is the case anymore) or anybody else talks down on the game. It won't stop me from playing. If you love the game and still want to play the game, will you all of the sudden stop bc people say it's "dead"?
It sounds like most people here complaining about it just dont find this current meta fun to play. Its great you're having fun with it. Play what you love. But we're saying after time you will be the minority that still loves this game when the MAJORITY should love this game. Can't deny changes need to be made.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
Btw there is a lot of upcoming great games on the way;

• Death Stranding
  • CyberPunk
  • Watch Dogs Legion
i am not playing only fighting games, to me NRS should use Mk11's lifetime wisely.

But we're saying after time you will be the minority that still loves this game when the MAJORITY should love this game. Can't deny changes need to be made.
This is the part I have a problem with. No one should or shouldn't love the game. They either do or they dont. I have specific reasons why I stopped playing injustice 2 very quickly and why I stopped playing MKX. They didn't just "die" for no reason. And yes there are some things I want changed with this game. Fatal blows are at the top of the list. But there is a difference between needing a fix and needing a life line. No disrespect btw.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
It’s really hard to say because NRS has had a really rocky turn of events. If you recall, on release the amount of bashing the game received for the krypt and for the story mode, a lot of people kind of fell off; but these were mainly casual players who were going to give up the same sooner than competitive players.
It doesn’t help that NRS is tight lipped about some of the details of the game, mainly the patches and DLC.

Despite these things, however, the EVO numbers are substantial, so although casuals may leave the game soon, I think that the competitive scene is going to be here for a while

S+ Main

Noob
It’s really hard to say because NRS has had a really rocky turn of events. If you recall, on release the amount of bashing the game received for the krypt and for the story mode, a lot of people kind of fell off; but these were mainly casual players who were going to give up the same sooner than competitive players.
It doesn’t help that NRS is tight lipped about some of the details of the game, mainly the patches and DLC.

Despite these things, however, the EVO numbers are substantial, so although casuals may leave the game soon, I think that the competitive scene is going to be here for a while
I think what NRS do and say at Evo will determine the length of MK11 life

Last edited: