What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

Why does Kano's command grab do less damage than a normal grab? What is the logic behind this?
The command grab can tick-throw with D1, D3, D4, 11, and 24. You can end combos with it, improving damage. You can also spend a bar to do more damage than a regular throw. Its krushing blow is situational but does A LOT of damage.

It has versatility and I suppose NRS decided that it comes at the cost of 1% damage.

You could easily argue that Commando in MKX did 2-3% more than the regular grabs, could also tick and be meterburnt for armor AND additional damage and also was a mid. To which I say, idk man.
If I were to guess, I suppose they didn't design Kano to solely rely on his command grab for damage, but instead supplement his mix-up game. And also to encourage the player to use regular throws and trigger their krushing blows too.

The command grab can tick-throw with D1, D3, D4, 11, and 24. You can end combos with it, improving damage. You can also spend a bar to do more damage than a regular throw. Its krushing blow is situational but does A LOT of damage.

It has versatility and I suppose NRS decided that it comes at the cost of 1% damage.

You could easily argue that Commando in MKX did 2-3% more than the regular grabs, could also tick and be meterburnt for armor AND additional damage and also was a mid. To which I say, idk man.
If I were to guess, I suppose they didn't design Kano to solely rely on his command grab for damage, but instead supplement his mix-up game. And also to encourage the player to use regular throws and trigger their krushing blows too.
Tick throws almost always turn my matches into poke fests or the other guy constantly jumping to avoid grabs. This game is revolved around pokes and spacing for some reason. You make excellent points, but the try hards eventually try to spam projectiles when I chain command grabs. I got so good at timing them from the last game that the inputs are instinct at this point. It's like you intimidate everybody into staying back. His knives are ok, but Sub Zero and others just kill you from range. Then when you finally get in you get only 130.0 damage. You might as well just grab and try to get the crushing blow. Seriously, if Kano couldn't roll under projectiles he'd be worse than Johnny Cage.

Legion DC

"Another weakling..."
We should get a Kharacter balance patch around the same time Shang Tsung gets ready to debut.
That should be around Combo Breaker Event time.
Kano's strings sucks.
A Kano with no mid starter.. I see 1 reason why Coach Steve and a few others doesn't bother.
He has no kick combo strings?? Are you serious??
I can work with what he has, but I can't deal with the highs that whiff when kharacters crouch blocking.
It's making D2 Krushing Blows too easy to get when it should be earn by neutral ducking.
A lot of kharacter share this same problem.

Last edited:

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Finally had time to get into the game late this week. I can understand the concerns for Kano in the thread and will prob echo a lot of the things that have been said. I like the char, prob more for the char than how he plays lol. His animations and general persona kill me. They nailed that even more so this time around IMO. Sent him off with a bang I guess, literally.

RIpper kinda feels like an in a way better commando Kano (Commando 2.0?) with some of the new normals...RIP Cyber :(

He seems to have a fair amount of options and some mix up potential. However with all the options, as pointed out for several pages of this thread, nearly all of it is unsafe in some way. Guess the idea is to balance it out, or at least it was for this char and the others hovering around the mid-low area. Apparently not universal application of the concept...A lot of his frames leave more to be desired once you look around the cast. From hit advantage, jailing, start up (lul Dirtbag variation), and of course some super unsafe stuff. Appears very dependent on making hard reads and conditioning, more so than most. Haven't fully formed what exactly I'd change on him but I think some tweaks will likely be warranted down the road.

Not sure why but one of the things that's really bugging me that hasn't been mentioned, unless i missed it, is when looking things over with him is why the hell isn't F4,3 just a standard string instead of part of an equipped item? I mean it adds a kick to his OH. At least the other equiped strings can be amped. Would also spread out his situational KB's and actually give his other tourney variant a chance to get one other than the standard ones everyone gets. Just a thought.

Speaking of the other variant I'd be shocked if anyone found any useful tech for the Dirtbag tourney set up. If it even stays that way in the end and if anyone is even looking because after 5 min I think everyone was like wtf is this real. I'm aware of the property's of Veggie might or what ever pun spelling of the tasty Aussie condiment they named it after. Plus that's not really tech, just a standard special property. Start up and recovery of molotov is just laughable when compared to other similar specials. Chem burn has a shit hit box and hardly combo's with anything. When it does it often doesn't get properly amped before combo is over should you chose to amp it. I mean come on, it's just bad. And it's shit on block and whif, and is super easy to whif. It's too bad because they're cool IMO.

@Legion DC I didn't really notice the no kick combo's until you brought it up. F4.3 kinda qualifies but is an equipped move. Would fit the char well and looks like a miss for sure. Lot of those to go around it seems.

Nerf Co-Kano

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
So I found some fun crossup ball stuff with kano.

After 112 or variationless 241 if you instant Kano ball after if will cross up the opponents hurtbox. On hit it keeps you close at +5 on hit and on block it actually sends you full screen and is virtually safe.

Oh it also beats some wakeups. But Kano ball in general has weird hurtbox issues were it goes through some moves