What's new

MK11 Kano Discussion

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Interesting. The air ball can still be meter burned in these instances you are talking about, no? I noticed that on kombat kast the air ball would land very short of the opponent if done from a low point in the jump arc. It's as if they intend for the ball to be meter-burned everytime it is used.

You Are correct about it. However there is more bull shit to it than you think. I wouldnt mind giving away the meter and be -10.

Lets assume for a moment that this was the plan. But guess what - opponent (semi-smart) will always neutral crouch your meter burned ball, and will f@ack you up on whiff, because you are going to be flying over his head. There is no reason to block, because Kano with normal ball wont connect, but even if Kano connects on regular ball, that is still low risk high reward for opponent. Cause on punish, you are eating tones of damage. See where I am going with this?

Murderation76

knife boi
Lets assume for a moment that this was the plan. But guess what - opponent (semi-smart) will always neutral crouch your meter burned ball, and will f@ack you up on whiff, because you are going to be flying over his head. There is no reason to block, because Kano with normal ball wont connect, but even if Kano connects on regular ball, that is still low risk high reward for opponent. Cause on punish, you are eating tones of damage. See where I am going with this?
I see... I didn't realize that the amped follow-up to air ball was a high. I guess this is how they balance it being safe-ish on block. I suppose we will have to condition the opponent to be scared of neutral blocking with grounded kanoball and B3. Otherwise, against a decent opponent airball will need to be visually confirmed (opponent jumps, whiffs a button, etc.) before we throw it out.

How punishable is ground amped kanoball? I know its -12, but I don't know what the pushback is like on block.

Saltea Moonspell

I see... I didn't realize that the amped follow-up to air ball was a high. I guess this is how they balance it being safe-ish on block. I suppose we will have to condition the opponent to be scared of neutral blocking with grounded kanoball and B3. Otherwise, against a decent opponent airball will need to be visually confirmed (opponent jumps, whiffs a button, etc.) before we throw it out.

How punishable is ground amped kanoball? I know its -12, but I don't know what the pushback is like on block.

Your conclusion sounds about right. My muscle memory was playing MKX Air ball.

I am not sure, but the ground Ball, has the feeling of MKX ball, that has some random properties.

Punishing it was not plain simple. There is the push back you speak of. Its funny but in the 10+ hours I did last night, I didnt do enough ground Kano balls, to give you a better insight.

Kano has some good tools. But without even playing other characters much, you will be able to tell where you stand, and how much you have to work to be head to head.

And BTW, the Moltov Cocktail, has only one purpose: firing BBQ at NRS's backyard!

Murderation76

knife boi
Kano has some good tools. But without even playing other characters much, you will be able to tell where you stand, and how much you have to work to be head to head.
Yeah bro just from seeing clips posted by top players to twitter... there seems to be a pretty big disparity in tools from character to character. Compared to Kano--Jax, Jacqui, Liu, D'Vorah and others have some obviously crazy looking tools. Kano does't even have a mid-started string... There will be some serious tier-whoring at least early on in this game I think.

I prefer to be a low-tier hero. The less people that pick up Kano the better for us lol.

And I'm guessing no one has found a way to safely set up a molotov yet?

Saltea Moonspell

Kano does't even have a mid-started string..

I prefer to be a low-tier hero. The less people that pick up Kano the better for us lol.

And I'm guessing no one has found a way to safely set up a molotov yet?
No mid strings is a problem.

You see, I was testing Kano against Jacqui for more than 4-6h

I've spotted two major problems:

One: you gotta be way smarter than your opponent, cause she has better mids at neutral kombat.

Two: even when she is minus after landing a string, you are still going to get bitch slapped because your only legitimate punisher is 22, and that is high 9f. So she can land a string, and while you will try to punish her, she will spit in your face with a poke and follow up with another string/grab.

The only semi legitimate solution was to throw and pray I get KB - but that is not really how punishers should look like. Throw should be an alternative, not primary punish.

Regarding Moltov: even if you sacrifice tones of damage, the start up is too long. That bitch was almost always capable to dash punching me in da face.
But again, I've only played the game for "couple" hours.

Zachara

Noob
Hey people. Not posted on this website in (Checks post history) 3 Years?! God damn that's been a while.
Anyways, been looking forward to Kano since he was announced because I'm a real scumbag and have to pick him up in every game.
I'm getting the same feeling from the character as I did in the lead up to MKX in that he's unlikely to be amazing but will be solid for at least a little while. I'm slightly worried about his damage output when compared to some of the things I've seen floating around from other characters and having either Snakebite or Pull in a variation would alleviate that issue but it is what it is.
Ripper seems very Kano-ish and a solid pick but looking at Ripper, it just seems underwhelming. It's like it wants to be some gimmicky setup based variation but doesn't work effectively although this is just based on what I've read so who knows, maybe there's something missing at the moment.
The lack of a mid-starter is worrying but then I look at that knife toss and I can't help but feel a little better.
Last thing - Glad people with the game already are posting info. I was going a bit stir crazy seeing people had the game but not much info going around and now I'm reading things that are getting my brain working already rather than just dwelling on the negatives. :)

Murderation76

knife boi
Ripper has real nice damage boys. Check K&M newest youtube vid. Shows the following for Kano: (EDIT I'm also adding in some of the combos I seen in Honeybee's vid below)

Midscreen
241+3amp, 11, F2xx lumbar check amp = 346dmg

D2 KB, 241+3amp, F2xxlumbar check amp= 452dmg

B2, F2xxlumbar check amp = 263dmg

Corner
D2 KB, 4xxblade toss, 241+3amp, F2xxlumbar check = 503dmg

D2 KB, 4xxblade toss, 241+3amp, 1xxFB = 562dmg

@Circus check out Honeybee's newest vid-- 25min set between him and Bio's Kano. Kano is looking NICE bro.

Last edited:
Kano's looking pretty legit right now. My interests are in Kano, Baraka, and SZ, and Ripper seems like the most complete and complementary variation of the entire bunch so far.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Ripper has real nice damage boys. Check K&M newest youtube vid. Shows the following for Kano: (EDIT I'm also adding in some of the combos I seen in Honeybee's vid below)

Midscreen
241+3amp, 11, F2xx lumbar check amp = 346dmg

D2 KB, 241+3amp, F2xxlumbar check amp= 452dmg

B2, F2xxlumbar check amp = 263dmg

Corner
D2 KB, 4xxblade toss, 241+3amp, F2xxlumbar check = 503dmg

D2 KB, 4xxblade toss, 241+3amp, 1xxFB = 562dmg

@Circus check out Honeybee's newest vid-- 25min set between him and Bio's Kano. Kano is looking NICE bro.

NICE!!! Thanks for the tag!!

Notes:

B2 antiair is really really good. It could lead into a huge chunk of damage.

F3 on block low profiles highs lol. It is -13 on block, but if an opponent doesn't have a very good mid starter, this is actually pretty abusable.

B1xxKnife is awesome. Knife is -7 on block and Amp knife is -11, but because of the distance the the B1 creates, the frame data changes a bit so they are both safer. B1 itself is -6 on block too so in general this is just a great stagger.

His backdash is above average. Compared to the characters in the beta, he goes way further.

This is about the max range of his command grab. That's pretty exciting tbh lol.
In general, command grabs are looking to be pretty big in this game. Geras' obviously being the biggest and craziest because it's a mid too.

Overall I'm really pleased with Kano now. This video confirmed many of the assumptions I had about the character and alleviated my worry that his midscreen damage wouldn't be on par with others. With what I learned from this video, I'll tell you right now that both Ripper and Dirtbag are going to be really good variations. I need to get my hands on this shit RIGHT NOW!!! I can't wait for tonight. UGHHHH

Last edited:

Murderation76

knife boi
B2 antiair is really really good. It could lead into a huge chunk of damage.
Yeah I was watching them play live on HB's stream and if Bio caught a jump at the top of the arc with B2, he went for 3 in a row. Something like B2, B2, B2, 241+3->ender. He kept dropping it but I imagine it pulls something like 35%dmg for 1 bar.

He wasn't using F1 at all, which I think was due to how the matchup was developing. D'Vorah has INSANELY good midrange tools by the look of things. Her D1 is like Kitana range. His best option seemed to be kanoball lol. By the way, HB was NOT punishing amped ground ball.

B1 is better than I thought, I had kinda written it off in my head. Kano has a lack of hit confirm options, so after D1 hits-- B1xxblade toss is a nice safe option.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
What is the input for his forward roll attack? Is it a low? Is it safe? And can it be canceled? I watched that set and was surprised I didn’t see more strings canceled into Parry. Like, d1~Parry would have ended a lot of those poke wars and made Honeybee rethink his poke strategy.

Murderation76

knife boi
What is the input for his forward roll attack? Is it a low? Is it safe? And can it be canceled? I watched that set and was surprised I didn’t see more strings canceled into Parry. Like, d1~Parry would have ended a lot of those poke wars and made Honeybee rethink his poke strategy.
Roll is F3. It's a 16f mid that low-profiles highs. Not cancelable and is unsafe at -13oB. Fast enough to blow up slower start-up high projectiles on reaction.

Yeah, there were a definitely few tools he wasn't utilizing... but it's like a day 3 Kano, ya know?

Killusion

Stream addict
Could someone screenshot the move explanations from character tutorial? They seemed really good for basic strategy, I would love to look at those when I'm stuck at work lol.

Red Hood MKX

Mercenary dog
Guys im really mad about kanos design he feels really weird to me. been a lifelong kano fan loved him in mkx but in this game so far he is not my cup of tea. It just seems like baraka can do everything kano can but a whole lot better.

Idk i hope i see the light still gonna try using him just feeling kinda down. And one last thing why does kanos d1 only have 8 frames of hit advantage. i mean for a character that doesn't have good mids how can they justify giving him shit hit advantage on his pokes its just a bad design imo. For now im gonna stick to baraka but still hopeful about kano down the road well see.

Zachara

Noob
This is the Kano forum friend.

The nerf to 2,4,1+3 is rough.
I still haven't seen anything regarding the Molotov variation so when Steam unlocks I think I might spend a few hours messing with that trying to find something, anything, that results in it being worth picking.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
d4~Lumbar ticks on block, but if the d4 hits, the grab will whiff, but Kano will be left at around +1 or 2, it looks like.