What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
If you still mained him in I2 you'd have been more heartbroken.
COme to think of it, I also played BA, whom I'd say plays faaairly similar as well, at least post-patch.
I completely quit i2 after the first couple of major patches did nothing for Grodd, and RUINED my alt, Aquaman.

I was so disillusioned I never came back.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I played cold in i2 and he was trash, 3 high string etc, then sonic picked him up and won because "top" players kept letting go of block in the nonmixup f23freeze and lost so everyone had cold top 3 because of it so I ragequit the game out of rage.

RING ANY RECENT BELLS? A? A?

FFS

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I played cold in i2 and he was trash, 3 high string etc, then sonic picked him up and won because "top" players kept letting go of block in the nonmixup f23freeze and lost so everyone had cold top 3 because of it so I ragequit the game out of rage.

RING ANY RECENT BELLS? A? A?

FFS
He never touched Bane so thankfully he got nothing but buffs. :)
Very reasonable buffs too, they actually addressed his actual problems without Bane treatment 2.0ing him. BH is a legend, not just because he's a godlike player but because he bestows good luck upon the characters he plays.
Shame he hasn't been very active, I wonder why. Hmmmmm.
Maybe it's because the game is in a state comparable to the beans I've had in my fridge for over a week now?

M.D.

What Tom Brady says here applies perfectly to Cage:

And not only by Geras but by all characters with fast mids and krushing blows and ESPECIALLY by the 12 matchups when you can't 1 or 2 on crouch block.

Top1 my ass.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What Tom Brady says here applies perfectly to Cage:

And not only by Geras but by all characters with fast mids and krushing blows and ESPECIALLY by the 12 matchups when you can't 1 or 2 on crouch block.

Top1 my ass.
Does he call Cage a " ruthless killing machine" at like 5:10? Or did I mishear him?

For this that don't have a day job post some pics of the new suit skin today will ya? I'm giddy like a school boy for this thing.

I dont know man, suit Johnny has always been a super lazy skin to me, yeah it makes sense, but I would rather have his mk1 skin which literally hasn’t appeared since the first game.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Hell, people made it to demigod with this character. Nobody said he wasn't viable.
I've beat Cassies, Sonyas, Frosts..
Not to take away from the rest of your argument, but Demi-God isn’t that high of a ranking. At least not to be used as an argument for tournament-level play.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Not to take away from the rest of your argument, but Demi-God isn’t that high of a ranking. At least not to be used as an argument for tournament-level play.
Agreed. I make it through demi god without a ton of issue using just Cage. It starts to get reallllllly tough in God though. Seems like there are zero tricks that work.

I see Cage's in Elder God though and I wonder how the fuck they do it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
He doesn't even know how many matches it took anyone to get to where they got, when they started the season, etc. It holds no weight whatsoever.

Didn't Irish Mantis finish at Demi last season because he didn't play much/started late?
I hear you — I’m not knocking anybody. But I still wouldn’t use a rank that low to justify how viable a character is for tourney.

Last edited:

M.D.

It looks like the general anti wakeup thing that was found a while ago (I think kabal guys found it first) where you do a long reaching poke on their wakeup and it cancels into a special even if the wakeup negates it.

I remember it was found quite a while ago yet haven't seen anyone use it in tourneys, like, ever.

M.D.

So...jumped on tweedy's stream earlier to find him play Outtake against Jacqui and Kitana.

Naturally I payed close attention to see how he uses the char he thinks is top 5 against whiff city females.

And I got literally stumped. His opponents were respecting everything. Man was doing 124 into DASH b3 and they were not only taking it without doing anything, but sometimes even getting hit by it.

He was doing 121 which is -7 and then backdash b3 and they were getting hit by it. because they just stood there on -7. WIth Jacqui and Kitana.... My head exploded.

The worst part was in the corner where he was using 2 staggers and 1 staggers to autoshimmy, but THEY ALL WHIFFED and the opponents were just crouch blocking in fear and getting hit by the followups.

And then it hit me. Players that play at high level against each other with the whole cast, have learned to respect the game as IT SHOULD work. They're blocking the 1 and 2's because logic dictates they should hit in crouch block and they never actually practiced the specific matchup to just mash d1 and d2 and see that it works.

So naturally Tweedy actually steamrolled those guys very, very hard. They were respecting Cage as he SHOULD work if he would have been fixed. I'm absolutely sure they don't even care or notice that they can actually mash out for free. Not only that but they had no idea about the matchup, so they didn't take their turn after 121, f4, f44, and they never punished b2, rising shoulder non amped or nut punch. They never neutral jumped over his b34 or walkback downpoke his pressure. They just stood there and took it.

On the other side of the coin, in my offline group, since I play Cage a lot versus them they have just learned they don't have to respect jack shit, so they just d1 d4 d2 mash NON STOP if i'm closer than b3 range and I can't literally use ANYTHING because nothing works. It doesn't help that they play Kitana, Cassie and Frost either. LOL 124 dash in b3, come on like really? I still can't get it out of my head. s2 staggers in the corner on whiff and they still kept blocking...wtf. I can't get away with this shit here in the offlines not even if they're afk for crap's sake

I'm very annoyed right now that an obvious thing that's out there is just getting skipped and ignored while everyone agrees cage is top 5, which means not only he will never get any buffs, but he will never get any fixes.

Dissapointment level 1000, I feel like I just want to quit and go back to Soul Calibur, fk it.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
Yo his suit skins are awesome. It made me want to learn the character, I’m going to start with his new (mk2) one after terminator. Cassie Quinn too.

So...jumped on tweedy's stream earlier to find him play Outtake against Jacqui and Kitana.

Naturally I payed close attention to see how he uses the char he thinks is top 5 against whiff city females.

And I got literally stumped. His opponents were respecting everything. Man was doing 124 into DASH b3 and they were not only taking it without doing anything, but sometimes even getting hit by it.

He was doing 121 which is -7 and then backdash b3 and they were getting hit by it. because they just stood there on -7. WIth Jacqui and Kitana.... My head exploded.

The worst part was in the corner where he was using 2 staggers and 1 staggers to autoshimmy, but THEY ALL WHIFFED and the opponents were just crouch blocking in fear and getting hit by the followups.

And then it hit me. Players that play at high level against each other with the whole cast, have learned to respect the game as IT SHOULD work. They're blocking the 1 and 2's because logic dictates they should hit in crouch block and they never actually practiced the specific matchup to just mash d1 and d2 and see that it works.

So naturally Tweedy actually steamrolled those guys very, very hard. They were respecting Cage as he SHOULD work if he would have been fixed. I'm absolutely sure they don't even care or notice that they can actually mash out for free. Not only that but they had no idea about the matchup, so they didn't take their turn after 121, f4, f44, and they never punished b2, rising shoulder non amped or nut punch. They never neutral jumped over his b34 or walkback downpoke his pressure. They just stood there and took it.

On the other side of the coin, in my offline group, since I play Cage a lot versus them they have just learned they don't have to respect jack shit, so they just d1 d4 d2 mash NON STOP if i'm closer than b3 range and I can't literally use ANYTHING because nothing works. It doesn't help that they play Kitana, Cassie and Frost either. LOL 124 dash in b3, come on like really? I still can't get it out of my head. s2 staggers in the corner on whiff and they still kept blocking...wtf. I can't get away with this shit here in the offlines not even if they're afk for crap's sake

I'm very annoyed right now that an obvious thing that's out there is just getting skipped and ignored while everyone agrees cage is top 5, which means not only he will never get any buffs, but he will never get any fixes.

Dissapointment level 1000, I feel like I just want to quit and go back to Soul Calibur, fk it.
I said it before, your opponent dictates the way you will play cage.

I can pressure people with f3, s2, s1 ect cause they are respecting me and the character feels really strong when that happens, but then you play 600GangNoScopexXx who likes to mash d1,d4,d2 and you have to be more conservative with your movements, which can make you feel like the character is trash.

Who do you play in Calibur? I was thinking of picking it back up but it sounds like Kilik has received nothing but nerfs every patch. I watched Tweedy (Outtake) vs Gambler (Blood Drive) last night and noticed the same thing. I think people are still unfamiliar with the MU. Hell I watched Gambler get clipped by a countless amount of B3's and F344U4's, lol.

I said it before, your opponent dictates the way you will play cage.

I can pressure people with f3, s2, s1 ect cause they are respecting me and the character feels really strong when that happens, but then you play 600GangNoScopexXx who likes to mash d1,d4,d2 and you have to be more conservative with your movements, which can make you feel like the character is trash.
600GangNoScopexXx lmaooooo, I might've just played him, lol. I think it's a requirement to mash and have a wifi connection if you have "Boi" or "Headshot" or something similar in your GT.

Last edited:

I watched the Jacqui set and the KL set with VideogamezYo. VGY was on a wifi connection, WHAT!?!? This was the same Jacqui that bopped Mike pretty bad in his stream today. Tweedy stuck it out with Outtake for a little bit but eventually switched to Frost, top 1 Bois amirite! Upgraded is fucking bonkers. I'll watch the Kitana set tomorrow, I'm tired and intoxicated and going to bed.

After playing some Terminators with both Showstopper and Outtake, I think I can safely say that the MU is in Johnny's favor. Forceballs jail, D4 pretty much stops all of Terminators approach and his movement speed is just way too fast for him wiff punishes are easy for the most part

It's pretty early man. This is pretty standard for day 1 dlc. I bopped ever Terminator I played last night but it's because I have 2000+ matches with Johnny and Joe Blow just picked up Arnie 5 minutes ago. He got some scary tools, safe mix, 6f D1, stubby but good mids and when he opens you up he does some serious damage. Johnny out spaces/ out footsies him for sure. I'd be willing to bet once he gets fleshed out more he's going to be a very scary character.