What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Error404

Noob
Why is nobody talking about 124 and 34u3? They are by far some of his best tools and nobody is using them.

The 4 in 124 jails and can't be ducked if 2 is blocked. A d4 on hit up-close will give you dash - 124 that jails MID-Screen.

U3 also jails if the second hit of 34U3 is blocked . 34 jails after d4 on hit in the corner and is the optimal starter for nutpunch combos.

The character has issues , but is way better than I originally thought.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Well I think there were discussions about it but they were short because after +6 you can't do much except the same options that you did before, it's not like it allows a mixup or throw attempt.

You'll just get a free d4 or f4 attempt into....the same old things :))

Midscreen if you hit 124 you really have to be on point with f4 as if you miss a couple of frames they walkback whiff punish you into 99%.

It's good but it's not godlike.

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
Why is nobody talking about 124 and 34u3? They are by far some of his best tools and nobody is using them.

The 4 in 124 jails and can't be ducked if 2 is blocked. A d4 on hit up-close will give you dash - 124 that jails MID-Screen.

U3 also jails if the second hit of 34U3 is blocked . 34 jails after d4 on hit in the corner and is the optimal starter for nutpunch combos.

The character has issues , but is way better than I originally thought.
The ender on one of the two definitely whiffs on Sonya and a few others.
Also the strings jailing into not duckable ender will most likely be fixed.
Other than that you're right, those are like my main tools to condition my opponents. Wondering why I haven't seen other Johnny players do that.

kelevra

Well I think there were discussions about it but they were short because after +6 you can't do much except the same options that you did before, it's not like it allows a mixup or throw attempt.

You'll just get a free d4 or f4 attempt into....the same old things :))

Midscreen if you hit 124 you really have to be on point with f4 as if you miss a couple of frames they walkback whiff punish you into 99%.

It's good but it's not godlike.
If they try to walk back after either 124 or 34u3 they will without a doubt get hit by f3 (dunno about backdash). Once they're conditioned to stop bullshitting is where your shimmies and grab attempts come into play.

D

Deleted member 35141

The ender on one of the two definitely whiffs on Sonya and a few others.
Also the strings jailing into not duckable ender will most likely be fixed.
Other than that you're right, those are like my main tools to condition my opponents. Wondering why I haven't seen other Johnny players do that.
Most are afraid to use any high moves as the threat of d2 kb is stronger than being +6

M.D.

Most also spam 8 frame low pokes so using f3 will fail miserably.
Using f4 will also fail because it's 14 so you get it in 8 frames while they spam their 8 frame low pokes so unless you're a perfect machine the +6 will do nothing.

As I said, you still have to guess on your +6 so it's not godlike, it's just...good.

kelevra

Most are afraid to use any high moves as the threat of d2 kb is stronger than being +6
If your opponent has the tendency to do that just walk in a few frames and watch his dumb ass get launched by b2 for whiffing d2 from half the screen away.
The d2's that are more scary to me are the ones when I end my combo in np because lulframeadvantage.

edit:
Same goes for people going into D3 or d1 Post +6. Walk b2 will Launch them recovering.

M.D.

Walk b2 works for short legged chars :) b2 is also 14 so walking will shave off quite a lot out of that +6 and only work if they actually whiff.

Otherwise you will get poked by noob, scorp, and other giraffe legged abominations.

D

Deleted member 35141

If your opponent has the tendency to do that just walk in a few frames and watch his dumb ass get launched by b2 for whiffing d2 from half the screen away.
The d2's that are more scary to me are the ones when I end my combo in np because lulframeadvantage.

edit:
Same goes for people going into D3 or d1 Post +6. Walk b2 will Launch them recovering.
Not really sure what you mean as they just wait for the 4 in the 124 string to d2 on whiff

kelevra

Not really sure what you mean as they just wait for the 4 in the 124 string to d2 on whiff
I think you misunderstood me. I meant when the 124 was already blocked you can shimmy b2 people who try to d2 you for the f3 attempt.

Error404

Noob
I like walking back after +6 and whiff punishing any attempt to poke. At that range I have plenty of options to whiff punish into combo especially in the corner.

Ones that happens even the most savage neanderthals stop pressing buttons on me.

M.D.

Heh don't you just love it when the site freezes and you keep pressing the post button only to find out it actually worked each time :D

If d4 jails to 124 and 124 frame traps to dash d4, wouldnt you be able to demolish button Mashers. I know his d4 jails a bunch of his highs as well. But I don't see people use it except for people I have been playing offline.

kelevra

If d4 jails to 124 and 124 frame traps to dash d4, wouldnt you be able to demolish button Mashers. I know his d4 jails a bunch of his highs as well. But I don't see people use it except for people I have been playing offline.
Yes and no. If they're cornered you would lock them down if they mash. Midscreen a dash d4 after +6 would push them out of range to dash 124 due to the staggering.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I really enjoy playing Johnny but he definitely needs some help with his KBs. I rarely ever get one other than his D2.

D

Deleted member 35141

Been on a little hiatus lately due to this site going South of Heaven fast but I need to rant...

Really enjoy the fact that shit like this exists yet we can barely get 1 KB (let alone fucking 3) in an entire match! To me this is where he struggles the most, and of course the absurd whiffing issues but he's not the only one struggling with that. One thing that we have going for us at least is JC literally has a female crouching hit box.

F3 doesn't need to me a mid, he doesn't need an overhead. I'd definitely take a few frames off F4 start up but I can live with it. In my opinion his frames could be better for sure but they're not terrible.

But my fucking God these Krushing Blows!! What the fuck were they thinking? The whole game to me revolves around Krushing Blows and Fatal Blows and both of JC's are trash. The FB cancel is ok I guess but in comparison to some others it's trash LBH.

KB wish list:
-KB activates on 3rd Amp Nut Punch
-KB activates on max distance Shadow Kick
-Throw KB, how the fuck does he not have a Throw KB? His entire game plan revolves around throws.
-F2,1,2 last hit of the string triggers a KB, kinda like Cassie's B2,4,3

People that think this game is balanced is either a heroin addict or they play Sonya/Geras. Injustice 2 may have not been for everybody and may have been boring but it was the most balanced NRS title to date. I know it's early and things will change but they really took a step back with the balance of this game.

I play Cassie, Kabal, and Scorpion as well and though they are effective they're all boring AF, yeah they get W's but they're not as gratifying as JC.

Rant over, blow me up IDGAF.
Yea the character playstyles get kind of boring besides Johnny.
In injustice 2 I played mainly GA and red hood after that I played robin, deadshot and cyborg they all played differently and the game plan is different.
This game I look at the many characters ive loved over the years like liu, jax and subzero and their so boring.
I'm hoping for good dlc characters, maybe some telekenisis rip kenshi

Been on a little hiatus lately due to this site going South of Heaven fast but I need to rant...

Really enjoy the fact that shit like this exists yet we can barely get 1 KB (let alone fucking 3) in an entire match! To me this is where he struggles the most, and of course the absurd whiffing issues but he's not the only one struggling with that. One thing that we have going for us at least is JC literally has a female crouching hit box.

F3 doesn't need to me a mid, he doesn't need an overhead. I'd definitely take a few frames off F4 start up but I can live with it. In my opinion his frames could be better for sure but they're not terrible.

But my fucking God these Krushing Blows!! What the fuck were they thinking? The whole game to me revolves around Krushing Blows and Fatal Blows and both of JC's are trash. The FB cancel is ok I guess but in comparison to some others it's trash LBH.

KB wish list:
-KB activates on 3rd Amp Nut Punch
-KB activates on max distance Shadow Kick
-Throw KB, how the fuck does he not have a Throw KB? His entire game plan revolves around throws.
-F2,1,2 last hit of the string triggers a KB, kinda like Cassie's B2,4,3

People that think this game is balanced is either a heroin addict or they play Sonya/Geras. Injustice 2 may have not been for everybody and may have been boring but it was the most balanced NRS title to date. I know it's early and things will change but they really took a step back with the balance of this game.

I play Cassie, Kabal, and Scorpion as well and though they are effective they're all boring AF, yeah they get W's but they're not as gratifying as JC.

Rant over, blow me up IDGAF.
lol F3 has to be a mid.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Been messing around with Johnny, and I like him a lot.

Anything I should know?
Johnny's game centers around footsies, stagger strings and throws, using his F3 and F4 to create space. Cage players need to play patiently and make good reads, which is easier said than done.

Johnny relies heavily on movement and dashes, having some of the fastest dashspeed in the game. His straight forceball is also a solid projectile that should be incorporated into his footsies game, since its not only a quick projectile but its Amplified version gives plus frames on block.

Even though its -6 on block, his D4 has such good reach that unless your opponent also has long-reaching normal like Noob or Scorpion, they really can't answer it if you do it from sweep range.

Last edited: