What's new

MK11 is on a heavily modified UE3! (explanation inside)

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I tried to post this earlier, but for some reason I think the tweet was deleted or something, and I dunno how to find it again. However, I got to post it in Discord before that happened, I didn't get to take a screenshot of the actual tweet before it was gone, so this is all I can offer you. :(

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Yeah, not sure who thought this was a new engine. You could tell immediately from the reveal that graphically it looks like an updated version of the same codebase from MKX.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
could anybody explain what the unreal 4 engine is? what is the differences between unreal 3 and 4?

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
They said it's NOT a new engine.

K&M also explicitly said during the community reveal day that they expected a new engine but they were surprised to learn it's not.

Gamer68

Fujin!
Yeah, okay so here's the description they posted everywhere when the game was announced:

"Mortal Kombat is back and better than ever in the next evolution of the iconic franchise.

The all new Custom Character Variations give you unprecedented control to customize the fighters and make them your own. The new graphics engine showcasing every skull-shattering, eye-popping moment, brings you so close to the fight you can feel it. And featuring a roster of new and returning Klassic Fighters, Mortal Kombat’s best in class cinematic story mode continues the epic saga over 25 years in the making."

Highlighted the part that mentions the new engine.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
Yeah, not sure who thought this was a new engine. You could tell immediately from the reveal that graphically it looks like an updated version of the same codebase from MKX.
I honestly thought it was! I might've misread the description, but I thought it said the game was on a new engine, and I saw so many people say it was on UE4, so yeah... But I was wrong. :p

Yeah, okay so here's the description they posted everywhere when the game was announced:

"Mortal Kombat is back and better than ever in the next evolution of the iconic franchise.

The all new Custom Character Variations give you unprecedented control to customize the fighters and make them your own. The new graphics engine showcasing every skull-shattering, eye-popping moment, brings you so close to the fight you can feel it. And featuring a roster of new and returning Klassic Fighters, Mortal Kombat’s best in class cinematic story mode continues the epic saga over 25 years in the making."

Highlighted the part that mentions the new engine.
That's where I got it from then!

Gamer68

Fujin!
Yeah, it seems kinda misleading. Every game they use a heavily modified UE3 and they never advertise their games as "using a new engine" even if they make big improvements on it. They always just say that they are still using UE3.

It might be a new version, but saying you have a new engine only for it to still be the same engine (modifications or not) is straight-up misleading.

Not mad, though. The game looks great and if it is UE3 then maybe that means they will avoiding the input delay UE4 games usually have. It's just that they need to choose their words carefully when it comes to advertising things.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
They are literally advertising the game with "new engine" line. Wtf??
I don't know much about graphics engines, but when you modify an engine that much, isn't it essentially a new engine?

I mean, at the end of the day, all that matters is how the game looks, right? You wouldn't say "I thought this game looked amazing when I thought it was a new engine but now that I know it's a heavily modded UE3, it looks like shit."

I mean, at the end of the day, all that matters is how the game looks, right? You wouldn't say "I thought this game looked amazing when I thought it was a new engine but now that I know it's a heavily modded UE3, it looks like shit."
That's pretty much it. Although people do that all the time with things once they find out the truth.

I think the problem was that people assumed UE4 (me too) based on what was announced/seen.

It seems it's just a misconception on what makes "an engine". While some people might refer to the underlying platform - UE3/4/Unity etc, NRS are talking about the code they've created to show the VFX style in the game, like the blood splatter/internal organ damage effects etc.

Raider

Noob
I don't know much about graphics engines, but when you modify an engine that much, isn't it essentially a new engine?

I mean if it's still UE3 then it's not really "new engine".

I think it's easier for them to stay on the same engine. It doesn't matter how old some engines are, if they are updated and modified then there is no problem. Call of Duty is using the same engine since Modern Warfare (more than a decade), they are just adding what they need at each new game. Keeping the same engine allows companies to ba laz... I mean win some time by copy pasting the code from previous games (again like Call of Duty :DOGE). But as long as it works, I don't see any problems if they keep the same engine.

Sometimes keeping the same engine can fuck everything up. Take Bethesda and the Fallout series. The engine for F4 is outdated but its main strength is that it is very mod-friendly, allowing the modders to have access to good mod tools and a big sandbox to create a lot of stuff.
It's okay for Fallout 4, but they took the same engine for F76, added a multiplayer functionnality to their engine, and they copy pasted 90% of Fallout 4 and now their online Fallout have the same bugs as Fallout 4 on release. Too bad the community can't fix the game for them now :DOGE. This is a good exemple of why it wasn't a good idea to keep the same engine (even if the game itself wasn't a good idea).

Raider

Noob
So if they create a new graphics engine for themselves out of UE3 then they aren't allowed to say they made a new graphics engine?

People get on about that shit way too much anyway. LBSH, who here actually knows the difference between UE3 and UE4?
That's... not how it works. Modified UE3 is still just that, modified UE3.