What's new

MK11 Input issues

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Jade's b3434 string.
You can either do b3 or b343 but there is no b34.

But that's a design choice, it's whatever, they want it that way.
There are actual problems with it, though.

Its cancel is weird because b34 has cancel adv but somehow b343 doesn't, (if you don't input the special by the second kick it just doesn't come out) and inputting it from a d1 is all sorts of a janky mess, more often netting you a sweep because the first 3 not registering.

The fact that her standing 3 is basically the same frame data makes me even more quizzical why she has a b3434 when she could just have a 3434 string like
and lead to all sorts of mixups.

Also the last 4 has a huge ass gap and is her only + (standing 4 is + but it's a high and leads to nothing currently because 43-exGlaive only works on females, and it's pathetic damage for 1 bar.)

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
ITT: Noobs blaming their sloppy execution on the game. I think you all need to spend more time in practice mode.
No, some of the inputs really are unusual, and some of them have their problems.
People who aren't used to dialing will take a few tries to accustom to things and a bit of practice to consistently execute some of these strings.
I understand that NRS doesn't want certain tools to be staggerable at certain points which is fine.
At the same time I wish there was a better solution than how some of these inputs work.

it's just how they want their games to be. they could have made strings like in tekken but they didn't. mk is very unique and thats why i like it.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I have noticed some strings in this game don't come out consistently as previous MK games. Some it's almost like you have to delay where others you can do it faster.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Yeah there's the dial system...I feel like it tends to make people rush their inputs on top of other issues that go on.
There is no other issues going on, its just a rythm thing, you learn the rythm of any button or string and you won't have any problems at all.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I have noticed some strings in this game don't come out consistently as previous MK games. Some it's almost like you have to delay where others you can do it faster.
its timing system
Some things have a shorter hourglass timer, others have long, i see a lot of people blaming on NRS inputs, how many of them actually have went into the tutorial to take a look at the dial system tutorial, it has all there.

My only concern is, NRS should have added that input timer and demonstration tutorial for every character and for every string in the practice mode.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
its timing system
Some things have a shorter hourglass timer, others have long, i see a lot of people blaming on NRS inputs, how many of them actually have went into the tutorial to take a look at the dial system tutorial, it has all there.

My only concern is, NRS should have added that input timer and demonstration tutorial for every character and for every string in the practice mode.
Yeah I did the tutorials like the first few days, definitely noticed some timing differences with certain characters, moves, strings etc. It's not bad, just different. Some people have more trouble than others. Yeah I hear ya, they did add the controller demo timer which helps but what they could have added is a slow mo demonstration explaining when to hit it, then you try it yourself. I actually completed the insanely hard FB U2 counter ones by not just practicing a 100 times seems but mimicking the controller demo, and counting the seconds in my head while doing it. A lot of people won't be able to do this, I bet most haven't even completed the tutorials. The character ones are easy, but the game's tutorial is definitely challenging at times. Still, would be a good idea for newer people especially to jump into that.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I don’t enjoy the inputs that are strict timing based such as Sonya’s F4 throw 2222 or Jacqui’s f2 2

Is there a reason why these inputs are so tough??

EXBingo

Noob
None of this shit is even close to difficult. Idk what is wrong with you people. Y'all would think SC4 Setsuka just frames are humanly impossible.

Sometimes when I try and do a throw 3 comes out instead. I prefer to throw with 1+3 since that’s pretty universal in most fighting games but it is infuriating.

full-on scrubs may have problems, yeah. like always.

the nrs input engine has never being that good so far., no input issues at all!

as an arcade stick user, this is my setup and it works just fine:
input window timing: medium
krushing blows held check: on
release check: off
alternate controls: on
input shortcuts: on
button shortcuts on

i use alternate controls cos it feels better on stick overall, no random shit comes out.
input shortcuts on makes sense with alternate controls, mostly cos of instant air shit and such.
here my 6 button layout btw
1 stance 2
3 block 4

The tutorial mode explains the dial system very well.
Everytime you start to execute a string, there is a timer running out between each buttons, and if you plan to cancel into a special, there is a special cancel window which starts to run out the second you press the first button.
The goal is to perform the special move before the special cancel window runs out, or before the other string buttons timers run out.

If you are having trouble doing this properly, pheraphs what you want its to increase the input timing window to medium or Long or even change to short depending on how your execution type works.

I
I was looking at the input timing window and thinking about changing it to short. I'll give that a try. I was playing last night and kept having trouble getting Jax's F3,3, 1+2 to come out. Either the F3 would come out alone or the 1+2 wouldn't come out after the 2 kicks. This was online though as I don't have this problem in practice mode.

Last edited:

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
For me im having issues with Back forward inputs. They can easy get messed up of turn into jump. I thought it was me until I bought a brand new pad and was still having the issue. Doing back forward and getting random f3 here is a video and if you pay attention to my inputs they are all clean.

For me im having issues with Back forward inputs. They can easy get messed up of turn into jump. I thought it was me until I bought a brand new pad and was still having the issue. Doing back forward and getting random f3 here is a video and if you pay attention to my inputs they are all clean.
happens to me too.

Agreed. Some of these inputs are fucked up. Why do I have to wait so long to use Scorpion's Teleport after jump kicking an opponent? If I do it too fast it never comes out. And yes, I have that stupid option off (forgot the name; but you know).
Erron Black string is set like that so it's not spammed. The thing to note in this game is unlike in MKX recovery frames matter. You can't do your next move until the last one recovered. The game has a few audio queus as to when certain moves have recovered. Scorpion's amp teleport is one such move.

Last edited:
The wake up and roll timings are really weird.
Problem with wake up roll is that if you input a bit early, the game will read only the L2/LT button, and count it as a delayed wakeup. This is so stupid honestly, I have no idea why they changed it from MKX when you can naturally do it holding DOWN. This is especially confusing since you can perfectly do wakeup up attack mashing U3 / U2, but no for roll!!! You can't mash for rolls!!
And what happen when you f*ck up? You stand up doing the stupid stance switch like and idiot an eat a full combo lol

I don't know if it was already mentioned, but breakaway timing also feels really bad. Why the hell do I need to time it? Again, we come from MKX, a game with a lot of execution barriers, and MK11 is supposed to be more "execution friendly". Well, I never had issues with combo breakers, that thing was smooth, but for some reason it looks like you need to lab this breakaway sh*t!! I already have more than 600 online games, and still struggle with rolls, breakaways, back+forw inputs, and many strings with weird timing.