What's new

MK11 female designs are... extremely underwhelming

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
too much TnA, please think of the children watching our Eleague in between fortnite matches
MK is an M rated game, children shouldn't be watching.;) Please consider the kind of content some games are. Let them stick to Fortnite. I don't think it's that hard with adult supervision if necessary.

Reactions: Nim

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
If you haven't seen them yet, here are Cassie's skins in MK11. And they're bad. Really bad.

Remember how stylish and fun Cassie was in MKX, between her eye-popping black S-F outfit, her hot jacket and gym shorts outfit, and her weirdly classy Hollywood "undercover" skin? That's all gone now. Her default is a beige combat outfit, a variation with slightly less armor, and another variation with a generic jacket on top of the armor. Then she has a space suit (non-canon by the way) and two more variations on that space suit.

Because nothing screams Cassie Cage like a beige color palette, or a turtleneck space suit.

And if you think that's an isolated incident of a female character's outfits not showing their personality, or being otherwise generic, look at this:

Wow. Many unique design. Such personality.

We have three female Special Forces characters in the game, who have pretty much interchangeable Special Forces armor outfits.

And before you say "well of course, they're all in Special Forces." No, motherfucker! Johnny's in Special Forces too, and this game gives him more variety and personality in his outfits than he's ever had before. Jax is in Special Forces too, and between his stylish leather jacket and metallic arms, no one's confusing him with anyone else. Liu Kang and Kung Lao are both Shaolin monks, that doesn't mean they look alike. Shao Kahn and Kotal Kahn are both Kahns of Outworld, it doesn't stop them from wearing COMPLETELY different armor and looking like COMPLETELY different characters.

Then we have the issue of "Injustice" designs creeping in on MK. Cetrion is already the most controversial character in MK11 and a lot of that has to do with her appearance, which focuses almost entirely on visually telling us her powerset, and tells us almost nothing about her personality as an individual. Jacqui and Frost both have sleek "Kronika's Army" design skins that look like they would fit better in Injustice than in MK. Then we have Skarlet's weirdly weird Eastern European goggle-hat default, which while certainly being distinct, is neither cool nor makes any kind of story sense.

I'm looking at characters like Noob Saibot, Scorpion, Kabal, Erron Black, Kano, Johnny, Jax, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Shao Kahn, Kotal Kahn, Raiden, on the male side of the roster, whose visual designs are all so wildly different from one another and all exude personality... and you want to tell me these female characters exist in the same game? And had as much work put into them? That's just sad, man. The female characters of MK deserve much better than this.

I have more to say but I'll leave it here for now. And before anyone tries to make this to be about skin, it's not fundamentally a question of more or less skin. D'Vorah's entire body is carapace, and her primary outfit is still one of the best female designs in MK11. The used-to-be stylish, now-ragged black cloak alone tells the story of everything she's been through.
I thought this would be another one of those "NOT ENOUGH TITS!1!!!" posts from Twitter, but I completely agree. As someone who wears over the top clothing himself, I loved Cassie Cage in MKX because she was so stylish in her Hollywood variation. Now, it's not the same. She looks like a generic soldier and I don't have the same connection to her. Cosmetics are very important to character design and it goes way deeper than being conventionally attractive.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
I thought this would be another one of those "NOT ENOUGH TITS!1!!!" posts from Twitter, but I completely agree. As someone who wears over the top clothing himself, I loved Cassie Cage in MKX because she was so stylish in her Hollywood variation. Now, it's not the same. She looks like a generic soldier and I don't have the same connection to her. Cosmetics are very important to character design and it goes way deeper than being conventionally attractive.
What really annoys me too about Cassie's stuff is her 2nd Variation look is actually just a slightly different version of her 1st. Like, she removed a bit of body armor on her arms and put a jacket on. And that's it.

It blows my mind it was that lazy of a design. :eek:

One can only hope she gets a good new skin at some point.

What really annoys me too about Cassie's stuff is her 2nd Variation look is actually just a slightly different version of her 1st. Like, she removed a bit of body armor on her arms and put a jacket on. And that's it.
From what I've seen, every character has been designed that way. They each have three unique outfits, then three variations of them that remove or combine certain parts.

I don't know about you guys, but I hope Brendan George leaves after this game, and in the next game, or even DLC in this one, they give us outfits resembling both those in MK9 and MKX.

Besides, what's the point in having a customization feature when you still have such little variety?

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
If you haven't seen them yet, here are Cassie's skins in MK11. And they're bad. Really bad.

Remember how stylish and fun Cassie was in MKX, between her eye-popping black S-F outfit, her hot jacket and gym shorts outfit, and her weirdly classy Hollywood "undercover" skin? That's all gone now. Her default is a beige combat outfit, a variation with slightly less armor, and another variation with a generic jacket on top of the armor. Then she has a space suit (non-canon by the way) and two more variations on that space suit.

Because nothing screams Cassie Cage like a beige color palette, or a turtleneck space suit.

And if you think that's an isolated incident of a female character's outfits not showing their personality, or being otherwise generic, look at this:

Wow. Many unique design. Such personality.

We have three female Special Forces characters in the game, who have pretty much interchangeable Special Forces armor outfits.

And before you say "well of course, they're all in Special Forces." No, motherfucker! Johnny's in Special Forces too, and this game gives him more variety and personality in his outfits than he's ever had before. Jax is in Special Forces too, and between his stylish leather jacket and metallic arms, no one's confusing him with anyone else. Liu Kang and Kung Lao are both Shaolin monks, that doesn't mean they look alike. Shao Kahn and Kotal Kahn are both Kahns of Outworld, it doesn't stop them from wearing COMPLETELY different armor and looking like COMPLETELY different characters.

Then we have the issue of "Injustice" designs creeping in on MK. Cetrion is already the most controversial character in MK11 and a lot of that has to do with her appearance, which focuses almost entirely on visually telling us her powerset, and tells us almost nothing about her personality as an individual. Jacqui and Frost both have sleek "Kronika's Army" design skins that look like they would fit better in Injustice than in MK. Then we have Skarlet's weirdly weird Eastern European goggle-hat default, which while certainly being distinct, is neither cool nor makes any kind of story sense.

I'm looking at characters like Noob Saibot, Scorpion, Kabal, Erron Black, Kano, Johnny, Jax, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Shao Kahn, Kotal Kahn, Raiden, on the male side of the roster, whose visual designs are all so wildly different from one another and all exude personality... and you want to tell me these female characters exist in the same game? And had as much work put into them? That's just sad, man. The female characters of MK deserve much better than this.

I have more to say but I'll leave it here for now. And before anyone tries to make this to be about skin, it's not fundamentally a question of more or less skin. D'Vorah's entire body is carapace, and her primary outfit is still one of the best female designs in MK11. The used-to-be stylish, now-ragged black cloak alone tells the story of everything she's been through.
Just like everything else, fucking moral busy bodies ruin everything. I am so sick of it. In an effort to be super woke, Steve Beran's dumb ass has talked about how Mortal Kombat is a "realistic" game and women in a fight would definitely be wearing burkas and not swim suits. I can go on for an hour about how unbelievably stupid that is, but my point is instead of focusing on making good designs, period, they have gone the Respec Wahmen route, which is blatantly disrespectful to EVERYBODY. Nobody asked for it, nobody wanted it, and nobody is happy about it. And if you mention this to the designers, guess what? "If you don't like it, don't buy it." HOPEFULLY the gameplay is good, guess we'll know soon enough.

ChoseDeath

Seriously Casual Player.
I don't really wanna start this whole discussion again, but there's a pretty big difference between a Bruce Lee/Van Damme archetype and literally dressing a character like a stripper. Bruce Lee was considered sexy without being sexualized.. They didn't have to turn him into Magic Mike to have him be an attractive lead. That's a far cry from where most of the female outfits have been, so I just don't think it's a sound comparison.

If you look at female MMA outfits, you can see a good example of what fighters actually look like (read: not bikini tops and thongs)

As always, if it actually fits the character's origin, that's different. But forcing overt sexualization in "because female" is pretty silly.
And WHEN, pray tell, has Mortal Kombat ever done that?

RM8

:D
I'm going to have to disagree. I only find Cassie and Jacqui underwhelming, but I honestly that's because they're not very interesting as characters to begin with :p

Kitana, Jade, Skarlet, D'Vorah, Sonya, and Sheeva are looking awesome IMHO.

Prateek Shekhar

LeggoMyEggo
In this thread, some posters think being sexy means you show skin.

The female character designs are great, except for Cetrion and Sheeva. Kronika is like one of the best female designs NRS has ever come up with.

MKF30

In this thread, some posters think showing skin means sexualizing and objectifying women. Yet as many have pointed out, there are several male characters showing quiet a bit of skin.

Cetrion looks fine, she's a God so her looks makes sense. Sheeva looks like she/male. Frost like Ellen Degeneres. Jacqui and Cassie are ridiculously covered up, they may as well be Star War Storm troopers or Spartans out of Halo. The rest look fine though, a shame we don't have the classic outfits that us Original players grew up on. I've come to the conclusion the new younger millennials and Gen Z people don't seem to get this but not surprised.

Last edited:

Gaxkang

Banned
From what I've seen, every character has been designed that way. They each have three unique outfits, then three variations of them that remove or combine certain parts.
That's the prob with Cassie's 2nd unique look is it's not really unique. She has the same stuff as her 1st just minus the armor on her arms, and has a jacket.

In this thread, some posters think being sexy means you show skin.

The female character designs are great, except for Cetrion and Sheeva. Kronika is like one of the best female designs NRS has ever come up with.
I think I speak for many when I say showing skin more like "increases" the sex appeal on something that already looked nice. If you were already ugly to begin with, no amount of skin showing can change that. Just look at Sheeva. She wears pretty much just a slingshot bikini in most of her appearances, but you don't really see people going on about how hot she is.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
The only thing I really don't like about the MK11 women is they don't look muscular enough imo. Look at Cage, Liu Kang, Scorpion, Sub-Zero, etc, they're fuckin jacked dawg, as they should be. I don't want them to look like MK9 linebacker women, but they should be as defined and tough looking as the guys. The men all look like peak fighters that could beat each other to death, Kitana looks anemic next to Liu Kang. That's my only real gripe. Jacqui being the exception, she looks like she could wreck some shit.

MKF30

As far as the chicks, I think only Sheeva should be more buff honestly, perhaps Sonya since originally she was somewhat jacked. Definitely muscular. The guys to be fair in general are always bigger than women typically. Still I think LK, Scorp and Sub have actually toned down some muscle mass compared to how they looked in the 3D games lol where they looked roided up. Like look at Scorp, Sub in the 3D games and LK in MK vs DC especially. This game he has a few different looks, some that look a little thinner others a little bigger.

Jacqui looks like she plays flag football. Cassie too, especially with their armor makes them both look a bit more intimidating.

Nim

Noob
I don't really wanna start this whole discussion again, but there's a pretty big difference between a Bruce Lee/Van Damme archetype and literally dressing a character like a stripper. Bruce Lee was considered sexy without being sexualized.. They didn't have to turn him into Magic Mike to have him be an attractive lead. That's a far cry from where most of the female outfits have been, so I just don't think it's a sound comparison.

If you look at female MMA outfits, you can see a good example of what fighters actually look like (read: not bikini tops and thongs)

As always, if it actually fits the character's origin, that's different. But forcing overt sexualization in "because female" is pretty silly.
(Women) "sexualized" is only a NEWSPEAK-word ("1984", George Orwell) of the feminist ideology for to demonize or criminalize the beauty or the sex appeal. The FANS legitimately want the classical outfits like those of MK9 or another. There is nothing wrong with the fanservice, the fan is a customer and the companies must SERVE to the FANS. The feminists are not fans. All this because feminists want to censor sexy women.

Then now the developers make a feministservice instead a FANservice. The SJW and feminists have to understand that there is nothing wrong with beautiful women or with sex appeal. It`s fine be pretty.

Do people like Anita Sarkeesian and all those feminist SJW activist journalists with their ideology of "gender studies" who infest the mass media want female characters with veil or covered and toned down?

Well.

But here there are fans who do not care about the political correctness, nor the activist journalists SJW; and they only want OPTIONS of the classic sexy costumes like those of MK9.
The developers have to make a DLC Anita Sarkeesian, feminist SJW MODE for feministservice

The game must have OPTIONS and everyone happy.

Nim

Noob
The sexy outfits of MK9 must stay, they are gorgeous. The classical sexy outfits must stay, what about that? The fans are worried with all this censorship and repressive wave and some are talking of a "UGLYFICATION CAMPAIGN" promoted by SJW feminists in NRM after the declarations of the art director, Steve Beran. Is he a SJW? If feminists want an "uglification" of female characters with burqas and all of that.... Well, BUT the fans want the options of the classical sexy outfits and improvement of faces and the bodies. This is not a happy situation, we hope that MK will not be a SJW or "woke" game. We want OPTIONS of the classical sexy outfits.

"I've Decided To Not Buy Mortal Kombat 11. Here's Why"

Mortal Kombat 11 Skarlet Was Masculinized And I HATE IT

Jade Receives The Same Treatment As Skarlet In Mortal Kombat 11

Mortal Kombat 11 | Toned Down Females - Why Mortal Kombat 11 Will Fail!!!

Mortal Kombat 11 Was INTENTIONALLY Toned Down, Art Director Deals Fatality To Fans

Mortal Kombat 11 Steam Forum Is Being Censored FOR NetherRealms To Protect MK11

MK11 NEEDS HOT CHICKS!

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
These complaints about the female cast appearance are only really valid for Sonya and Cassie. Both have terrible looking faces (compared to MKX), Sonya's voice acting is crap and Cassie's costumes dont really fit her personality.

The rest of the Female cast looks great. Frost looks fucking badass, Cetrion and Dvorah are very original, Kitana looks like a proper fucking princess, and Jacqui, well her appearance is the least of her worries because she has the personality of a floating door.

Mortal Kombat 11 Skarlet Was Masculinized And I HATE IT
It's funny how female characters are accused of looking "masculine" for sporting short hairstyles, yet apparently it's fine for several of the guys to have long, "feminine" hair.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
NRS should hire Kano to do the female character designs:

Compared to that the female characters looked like nuns in MK9, LUL!
It would seen that NRS is using this to illustrate that if people really want the over the top MK9 sexiness back they are no better than dirtbag kano.

Kano doesn't respect women and uses crude language to describe then all the time. He's a degenerate.

Having said this, this art is essentially a pin-up. I wonder what the artist was thinking drafting all this serious art then out of no where has to do a cheesecake image, lol.

Queen Sindel

Divine Enlightenment
You don't have a personality in the army, you have a uniform. It's realistic.
Are you trying to justify obvious poor skins designs by this " to be realistic" mantra?

What is more realistic in Mortal Kombat? Pints of Blood? Outworlds? Fatalities? Elder Gods?Magic? Dragons?....All these things are so realistic!

Come on! Its just a POOR skin design, thats it!!

Which is sad, because game Morttal Kombat11 is the best looking fighting game so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.