What's new

MK11 Explained by Paulo Garcia (Secret Characters + More)

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I found this article online with Paulo Garcia the lead Dev at NRS for MK11 talking about everything MK11 and Secret Characters and much more below.

Key for notation:
PG= Paulo Garcia
GC= GamerCrate

Highlights from article:

GC: We have an offense and a defense meter now. How do you fill those up?

PG: They'll just fill up over time, at a rate that's dependent on what you did. So if it's a move that's really strong, it will fill up slower once you use it, and if it's something that's not as strong then it will fill up quicker. But the idea is to make it so that you play the game and you don't really have to look at it until you need it. We're trying to make it so you can just play and do moves at your own pace, and those are more of the constratints, so you can't spam moves and things like that. But it just fills up over time depending on what you did.

GC: How about combos? Are there still dialed strings in the game?

PG: Generally the core thing of moves is to make it so the combos are shorter, so there aren't as many things that will pop up or let you continue, but then it's to make those combos do more damage. We're trying to make the pace of the match be a lot quicker, a lot up-close. The camera itself does that where the characters are really big on-screen. We're trying to make it where the action is short, where you're not stuck with these really long combos. But the combos still really hurt when you do them. And there's still a lot of combos there, and we have ways to get out of them and stuff. But generally to make it a lot more back-and-forth, as opposed to one player for five seconds.

GC: Are there any secret characters that you'll be able to unlock?

PG: There will be secret characters, sure.
Could this mean those two slots that are locked on MortalKombat.com/roster is confirmation of Mileena & Shinnok or possibly two other Unlockable characters?

GC: So you can unlock cosmetics, you unlock different moves, you unlock augments, things like that. A big question with Injustice 2 was how that translated into online play, like stuff that actually improved your stats. What's the relationship between the stuff you unlock and how powerful your character is inMortal Kombat 11?

PG: So the special moves, you don't actually unlock them. They're all there at the start. So you get to just set your character variation the way you want. But when you play in competitive mode or tournament mode there will be a pre-set set of moves that's just the moves themselves from that bucket. But all the cosmetics themselves, those all fully function. So you can make your character look the way you want, but when in competitive mode you'll play with pre-set variations that we've defined. But then players who want to play Towers stuff, they can sort of mix and match.

And a lot of the augments, instead of the gear having stats itself, you put in augments where they themselves will have stats. That way you're not stuck with, if you've got gear that has good stats, and then sometimes you want it to look different, but it would have worse stats, this will let you move it around so you can make your character look the way you want. So we're trying to separate the cosmetics and the gameplay stuff as much as we can.
Looks like variations are locked in competitive play.

And much more here:

https://www.gamecrate.com/mortal-kombat-11-developer-interview-towers-of-time-how-gear-works-secret-characters/21980

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
I highly doubt Shinnok returnes after getting embarassed in MKX.
Worst final boss in the franchise. Even Dark Khan was more intimidating

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
So they went to the trouble to make the special moves with loadout weight, and conflicts, which made it look like they actually thought about not allowing unbalanced combinations (such as gutted + leg kebab), only to scrap it all away in tournament play?

I mean...why bother balancing them at all if they're only for casual play? And if you actually balance them with weights and conflicts, then why bother removing them for competitive play?

It makes absolutely no sense. :/

Kratilim

Noob
Secret characters sure. But nobody has stated that they are on top of the 25 base roster. I'm guessing some characters that have leaked are actually the secret characters, not Mileena as ppl are assuming.

And they haven't officially revealed the tournament rules etc yet, boon even stated that they would be revealing that soon at C2E2 last friday.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I'm guessing some characters that have leaked are actually the secret characters, not Mileena as ppl are assuming.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of secret characters if they where leaked? I don't think the secret characters Paulo mentions is anyone leaked. Not sure if it's Mileena or Shinnok especially since we have the highly requested Shang Tsung as Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa #TheOnlyShang as the lead Sorcerer in MK11 I doubt Shinnok will be in.
I really hope Shang can morph into characters and not just steal moves from the character you are facing like Shinnok did which was kind of lackluster compared to the master Shang.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Kollector might be a secret character, or Cetrion.
Kollector might survive and want to avenge Kronica and Cetrion is just...Cetrion? In MKX most of the new characters were shown on E3, we got only Geras as a new character

Lokheit

Noob
This is a very old interview and we've got a lot of contradictions regarding tournament moves since then.

I'm still hoping for a quick window, like the one you use to adjust controls from character select, allowing you to tick on and off your moves.

The fact that not only moves have weights but now they also have dependencies like needing to be paired with another one or being mutually exclusive means they're really investing time in making the mix and match system balanced.

Cassie Cyrus

Have you ever seen the Rain?
I'm not on team Mileena-being-the-Secret-character anymore, after seeing what they did with Kitana, no thank you.

I still hope Rain is a unlockable, Reptile would be cool as well.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Made of metal you really need to stop hidding, my eyes can't take it anymore, everytime i read something you post my eyes bleed, if you don't reveal yourself i'm gonna ask the mods to shut it down.