What's new

MK11 Do's and Dont's?

OwtQue

PSN: iiPuREWreQMoDe
Hey guys I'm getting blown up in my matches. I've had too many matches where I barely hit my opponent and it's obvious that my fundamentals aren't great.

What are some "rules" to follow by? This game is different than MKX and I'm breaking bad habits. Can you guys give me some fundamentals advice to at least make my matches closer? Thanks!

OzzFoxx

Hardcore gaming poser.
You are pretty vague, but if they’re anything like the normal things - stop jumping so much, stop attacking first/too often (instead maintain your spacing and punish), don’t forget your defensive meter, don’t FB an opponent that has 90% health, don’t keep using the same string, don’t use high attacks often. I’d throw in execution but I imagine you’d know if that was your problem.

G11OST

Noob
Use D1 D3 and D4 to poke your opponent after you block there strings until you figure out which ones are negative enough to punish with a normal starter. If your poke hits, start your offense preferable with a low or mid starter, if it’s block then it still is not your turn.

I’d start with that.

OwtQue

You are pretty vague, but if they’re anything like the normal things - stop jumping so much, stop attacking first/too often (instead maintain your spacing and punish), don’t forget your defensive meter, don’t FB an opponent that has 90% health, don’t keep using the same string, don’t use high attacks often. I’d throw in execution but I imagine you’d know if that was your problem.

Sorry didn't mean to be vague. I struggle with spacing and playing in the neutral. And knowing when I can and can't punish. I believe part of it is just not fully understanding other characters strings so the result is me getting blown up very often.

I freeze up too. When I get close to my opponent sometimes I just stand there and block because I'm scared to press buttons. Then I get grabbed all game. It's awful to be honest lol

OwtQue

Use D1 D3 and D4 to poke your opponent after you block there strings until you figure out which ones are negative enough to punish with a normal starter. If your poke hits, start your offense preferable with a low or mid starter, if it’s block then it still is not your turn.

I’d start with that.
That is great advice man thanks. So I should be looking to see if my low poke actually hits, got it. Also, what do you do when your combos start with a high? Because my first hit whiffs and then I get low poked. And the result is, it's not my turn anymore and I'm BACK on defense

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Make sure you're using short hops to mix up some overheads in to your game. Don't be neglecting the wake up rolls either, they're very powerful in the right situation

Last edited:

OwtQue

Make sure you're using short hops to mix up some overheads in to your game. Don't be neglecting the wake up rolls either, they're very powerful in the right situation
Okay I'll be sure to do that! Thanks man!

G11OST

Noob
That is great advice man thanks. So I should be looking to see if my low poke actually hits, got it. Also, what do you do when your combos start with a high? Because my first hit whiffs and then I get low poked. And the result is, it's not my turn anymore and I'm BACK on defense
Try to use those strings that start high for guaranteed punishes. Guaranteed punish meaning that the opponent did a move that he cannot recover from in time to defend and has to eat a full combo for slipping up.

To start though, Just practice blocking, then poking to make it your turn. This goes for all fighting games and is the main barrier to actually being able to start “playing” the game.

Misky

Clinch should be a command grab
Okay I'll be sure to do that! Thanks man!
It sounds like you really have the right mindset to do well and that always excites me haha. Just keep asking questions like these and finding answers and you'll do great <3