What's new

MK1 Tier List Discussion

krsx

Noob
dreemernj said:
If Amiga computers weren't marketed so badly, if they were as big a success as they should have been, computing in general would be about 3 years ahead of where it is now.

And as for the combo vids, I know ded_ has found many things that shock me about MK1. I can't wait to see something. I wish I could help but right now I am stuck with a laptop with nos pace and desktop that can't run the editting apps I need. That plus the fact that I refuse to upgrade equipment thats not too old is leading to a very unproductive situation.
Indeed, the power of the Amiga was never fully realized! I remember them coming out with the Commodore CD32:

in the early - mid ninties, as a last ditch effort to revive Amiga, and I believe it was decent, just no interest led to poor sales. I think it kinda turned out like the Dreamcast, whereby at the time it was superseeded by the new console; PSX, Saturn etc.

As for the MK1 combo vid, good to hear that it hasn't been forgotten. I may take a look at it again, see if I can find anything - though I'm sure ded_ has found anything I could already :-P I'll try to get some more cool CPU Reptile clips ;)

DAVE101 said:
Combo videos dont always show proper gameplay techs and strats. They represent minor parts of a game.
The best parts.

RayRokka

Noob
Sonya is #1 because of her unpunishable sweep and leg grab infinite. She also naturally ducks jab pressure when blocking.

A well played Kano is #2 on the tier list. He has good jab pressure and his ball can punish any whiffed or even blocked attack. In the later versions with the nerfed juggle physics, Kano dominates. His non flipping (known in Chicago as the vacuum) punch and kick are low and you can hit standing opponents with it. it's completely safe and puts the opponent on the defensive. Unlike Cage and Raiden, their vac attacks don't hit opponents at range. Kano can tick damage from mid screen and land right in front of the enemy ready to use jab pressure or go into a mix up.

Cage is #3 for obvious reasons. He could easily be #2 but I give the edge to kano in the later versions.

Sub Zero is # 4, especially if you don't know how to avoid the freeze infinite. He can trade easily and the slide punishes and adds guessing games.

Liu Kang #5, Liu is below Sub because I think that Sub has the advantage in the Liu Kang vs. Sub matchup.

Scorpion # 6 although a turtling Scorpion with full knowledge of his juggles can be a devastating force. I think that it is very possible that Scorpion is better than Liu Kang. Scorpion can go into his full damage juggle by blocking Liu kangs fly kick. Plus he can teleport.

Raiden is bottom tier # 7 because of his size, he can't duck jab pressure. Plus his fly move is easily punishable by everyone as well as his teleport.

RayRokka

Noob
I added more detail to my list, check it out. Believe me when I say that my list is based on countless hours of playing the best players in Chicago.
I've played every prototype of MK through Deception, months and sometimes up to a year before anyone else.

Sonya is #1 because of her unpunishable sweep and leg grab infinite. She also naturally ducks jab pressure when blocking.

A well played Kano is #2 on the tier list. He has good jab pressure and his ball can punish any whiffed or even blocked attack. In the later versions with the nerfed juggle physics, Kano dominates. His non flipping (known in Chicago as the vacuum) punch and kick are low and you can hit standing opponents with it. it's completely safe and puts the opponent on the defensive. Unlike Cage and Raiden, their vac attacks don't hit opponents at range. Kano can tick damage from mid screen and land right in front of the enemy ready to use jab pressure or go into a mix up.

Cage is #3 for obvious reasons. He could easily be #2 but I give the edge to kano in the later versions.

Sub Zero is # 4, especially if you don't know how to avoid the freeze infinite. He can trade easily and the slide punishes and adds guessing games. I also forgot to add that Sub is Sonya's best matchup compared to the others. His slide can punish Sonya's sweep. It's still in Sonya's favor, but if you work hard with Sub you can win.

Liu Kang #5, Liu is below Sub because I think that Sub has the advantage in the Liu Kang vs. Sub matchup.

Scorpion # 6 although a turtling Scorpion with full knowledge of his juggles can be a devastating force. I think that it is very possible that Scorpion is better than Liu Kang. Scorpion can go into his full damage juggle by blocking Liu kangs fly kick. Plus he can teleport.

Raiden is bottom tier # 7 because of his size, he can't duck jab pressure. Plus his fly move is easily punishable by everyone as well as his teleport.

ded

Elder God
Sonya inf is not always 100% sure. Her sweep is punishable from close distance, and almost always punishable from moves like slide and roll, hard but punishable.

Cage vs Kano lol. You saied one of raiden's weaknes is his torpedo move, what about kano, a blocked roll can open huge juggles. Cage has the fastes JP and its much more useful if you use it for hitting ground opps than kano's jk. Cage's Shadow Kick is a way better wakeup than the roll.

Kano's JK is countered easy by Liu Kang and Raiden, so forget about his JK. Easy huge juggles after blocked roll, and will have very difficult time to attack both of them since his only "transport" move can cost him in some cases half of his energy if its blocked.

Sub-Zero Inf is escapable and useless if you play against someone who knows how to escape throws lol. GC Freeze is useless too, you can only trust on punisher slide or freeze juggle

Scorpion has tricky tactics but he is worst of them all.

And i played that game for years too, not in chikago of course, but this will not be the first time when i proove that chikaco can wrong ;

btw in earlier revizions kano is higher, but in laters he is not

RayRokka

Noob
I'm not disagreeing with you on anything...Cage could easily be second. I think a well played Kano dominates though. It's really a skill thing.

I think that Raiden is the worst and I would put any amount of money on that. I would rape you if I were Scorpion and you were Raiden.

You underestimate Sub and there is no doubt that Sonya is the best because no other characters can jab her.

You understand that high level MK I is all about jab pressure right?

ded

Elder God
talking about jabs pressure you think scorpion has better than raiden's ?

and i'd love to play against good mk1 player, since no one play this game anymore, and people keep mention to me that only mk2 prince plays it competetively

talking about scorpion, a "step in" throw can get the opp in trouble and the teleport can be usefull for escapes or jabs trick but if you think that this and his punisher vs torpedo (teleport punch, aalp, spear) is the way you beat raiden, i have to really dissagree with you

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Proto9 has way too many bullshit infinite and 100% combos. I much prefer to play revision 3.0, as there is no lame "gravity" effect to combos...much like they did to MKDA.

ded

Elder God
revizion 5.0 is for competition, rev3 has too many infs, its still fun of course but i prefer 5.0

Hey "Scheisse" do you know that your name means "poo" or "shit" in the german language?
By the way, if you are "ScheisseNussen" than it have to tell you that the word "Nussen" doesnt exist lol, "Nüsse" exist (which means Nuts).
Its a wierd nickname anyway, just for information.

I love MK1. I grew up on this game, among the others MK. This game started my love for this series. Well only the 2D ones anyway. I always used scorpion. He was my favorite. I never played competitively though. I wish I could have.

sorry to bump an old topic but i feel compelled to reply.

anyways i was 1 year old when this game came out. my brother who was 9 a the time played this game on the snes. i didnt start to play till around maybe 1997 and get ready to laugh.... on the gameboy. by that time my bro had sold the snes and we didnt get another system till late 98. anways, i still loved that shitty gameboy game. when myself and my bro got a n64 after selling our ps i played trilogy and friggin loved it. then we sold the n64 and got the ps back. we got mk4 and again i absolutly loved it. after that mk was quiet i played the mythologie and special forces game but only as rentals and they sucked ass anyways. then it was even quieter but when mkda came out i was all over it. me and my friend played it 24 friggin 7, we almost unlocked everything in the krypt but we ended up getting lives..... then came mkd i enjoyed it but i just didnt have too much fun with it. oh and i got it a year after it was released. then i was quiet until mka came out. i found this site and i got into it. i got a 360 and BAM into it for LIFE. UMK3 is the greatest MK game EVER MADE.

ok im done boring you with my lame mk history now go ahead and return to ur life. :D

the first mk game i ever played was 2 on sega master system
i got mk1 just yestarday and i think that the endurance matches are harder than goro and on some cases shangtsung (only when he turns to goro)

TheRagingStorm said:
I should be banned for saying this but my first MK game I played was MK1 arcade in '92.......at Chuckie Cheezes.... :oops:
No man, Back then Suck E Cheeses Wasn't pussied out. They Had *gasp* Violent Games.

XL

Noob
I forgot how good Sonya was in MK1 until I saw this thread.

Ah, Sonya. She's such an awesome character in the series.

RoGE

Noob
Why would Cage be higher than sonya exactly? All Sonya needs to do is one leg grab and its over right?

Iori9 said:
Why would Cage be higher than sonya exactly? All Sonya needs to do is one leg grab and its over right?
hmmm not quite,it depends on the oponent ,Cage Vs Sonya is a drama fight,like Kano Vs Sonya :D unfortunally some of the players think that sonya vs cage,the win of sonya is 90% sure....that's their first mistake...