What's new

MK Movie News by Ed Boon [NYCC]

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Ed said that it has been setbacks because of COVID without really going too much in detail, but he did say he has seen a cut of the movie, so that means that they are in the editing phase. Until it's final, it still might need reshoots which most likely can't be done right now because of the pandemic but that's one of the possibilities. I'm thinking mid-2021 release?

This video was live but I'm guessing once it's over you can watch it on the NYCC channel.

Zviko

Noob
Yeah I thought they were long done with filming it and already decided on release to be January 2021.

Yeah I thought they were long done with filming it and already decided on release to be January 2021.
Yes. This is the current release date. If they don’t intend to stream it...I’m 99% sure it’s going to get pushed back. People are not comfortable risking their lives to see movies in theaters during the pandemic.

Art Lean

Noob
So how about releasing MK Legacy 3: MKX Generations to keep us going Ed? You know the one that’s fully complete, also stars Lewis Tan, was going to be released free online but apparently NRS and WB couldn’t agree on how best to use it to promote MKX. Slap that shit online already!

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
They can’t even make a video game story that you people don’t bitch about.
What makes you think the film will be any different?
If the filmmakers stray from what has already been done...THIS ISNT MK!
If they stick to what the game developers do with their stories...THEY’VE RUINED ___ CHARACTER!
If they shot-for-shot remake the original...LAZY! AND THE ORIGINAL WAS SO MUCH CAMPY FUN, THIS IS JUST SAD.

Art Lean

Noob
If they stick to what the game developers do with their stories...THEY’VE RUINED ___ CHARACTER!
If they shot-for-shot remake the original...LAZY! AND THE ORIGINAL WAS SO MUCH CAMPY FUN, THIS IS JUST SAD.
Maybe that's some people, but me, I'm excited for it. Even the so-awful-they're-hilarious entries like Journey Begins and Annihilation have their entertainment value. I really want to see this, along with the shelved Legacy 3. The more media the merrier as far as I'm concerned. :)

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Maybe that's some people, but me, I'm excited for it. Even the so-awful-they're-hilarious entries like Journey Begins and Annihilation have their entertainment value. I really want to see this, along with the shelved Legacy 3. The more media the merrier as far as I'm concerned. :)
If it ever comes out.
I’m honestly not certain it will.

So every person on this site needs to unanimously love and praise it? Or you'll whine about them? Right, gotcha. Have fun with that.

Art Lean

Noob
If it ever comes out.
I’m honestly not certain it will.
Yeah I know what you mean. With one completed project already having been shelved without any publicised reason, the complete lack of ANYTHING to promote this (even just an in-costume photo of the cast to remind the world it exists) leaves a very sour taste of uncertainty in my mouth, especially after all the years of development hell the third Threshold movie 'MK Devastation' went through.

Yeah I know what you mean. With one completed project already having been shelved without any publicised reason, the complete lack of ANYTHING to promote this (even just an in-costume photo of the cast to remind the world it exists) leaves a very sour taste of uncertainty in my mouth, especially after all the years of development hell the third Threshold movie 'MK Devastation' went through.
Honestly...I don’t want them to promote until they are absolutely sure when a release date will occur. I don’t see the point of advertising The Batman now if the movie isn’t coming out till 2022 for example. Movies are typically promoted within 6 months before the movie is released. Stretching it out just seems pointless and exhausting to me.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Honestly...I don’t want them to promote until they are absolutely sure when a release date will occur. I don’t see the point of advertising The Batman now if the movie isn’t coming out till 2022 for example. Movies are typically promoted within 6 months before the movie is released. Stretching it out just seems pointless and exhausting to me.
The Batman is about to be the most expensive short film of all time lmao

Honestly, if the movie is anything that can closely resemble the MK Legacy series then I'll be happy with it. That show was amazing and should be the definitive live action MK we need. I think it's the realism and sort of horror feel about it is what's appealing. The stuff like Raiden struggling to get out of a mental hospital and seeing Liu Kang's lowest point in his life while falling out from Kung Lao/the shaolin was interesting. Way before Netflix started changing the game with hits like Daredevil, Luke Cage and other original shows, MK Legacy was so ahead of it's time.

Art Lean

Noob
Honestly, if the movie is anything that can closely resemble the MK Legacy series then I'll be happy with it. That show was amazing and should be the definitive live action MK we need. I think it's the realism and sort of horror feel about it is what's appealing. The stuff like Raiden struggling to get out of a mental hospital and seeing Liu Kang's lowest point in his life while falling out from Kung Lao/the shaolin was interesting. Way before Netflix started changing the game with hits like Daredevil, Luke Cage and other original shows, MK Legacy was so ahead of it's time.
Totally agree, I thought the show was great, other than a few obvious budgetary constraints on the special effects I thought it was very well done, which makes me all the sadder that season 3 is complete and in the can, but locked away in a shed somewhere thanks to NRS and WB whining about "how" to use it. No more Tagawa, no more Casper, no Lewis Tan as Kung Jin, no Ray Park, no Cassie... sigh. RELEASE IT, PLEASE!!!!! WHY IS IT AN ISSUE ABOUT SOMETHING THAT WAS ALWAYS MEANT TO BE FREE ANYWAY?!?! :mad:

Anyway my favourite episode was Raiden's though no one else seems to agree with me. I loved its atmosphere of classic X Files and Big Trouble in Little China; it was a perfect mix of Rebirth's gritty realism and the start of the 95 movie where all the characters refuse to believe in the legends.

The ancient story in Japan between Sub Zero and Scorpion was superbly done, Kitana and Mileena were fantastically cast, who can ever complain about more Tagawa as Shang? Casper Van Dien was great as Cage and mixing the cyber ninja initiative with the backstory of Kano I thought was a brilliant choice.