What's new

MK for EVO 2011?!?

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
There actually was a few offline tourneys for MKDC(one at a place that MasterMalone from MKU, MKO had told me about at first) out in california somewhere and there was one I believe in Kentucky or Tennesse, I forget which....but it was a while ago a small offline tournament for MKDC.

Damn, this thread has lots of intensity.

I think it would be a wise idea to support both UMK3 and MK9 for future Evo events. Unless MK9 turns out horrible(which I don't see honestly but we'll see I guess)

Not sure if I agree with the whole age of a game gig...I mean, MVC2 isn't exactly a new game yet played at Evo year in, year out right?

If the game is good, who cares about age. To me UMK3 is like a 70's Stingray Corvette, just because it may be older and not as modern as the other cars now in that class doesn't mean it's not a good car in it's own right. Know what I mean?

At any rate, I agree with Storm's post I will look positive and I feel good about how MK9 is looking based off what I see. Who knows, MK9 may be the key for UMK3 for all we know. Only time will tell...There ac

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
You guys are being stubborn, I would literally bet thousands of dollars that UMK3 will never make it to Evo.

Sure UMK3 is a good game, but so is SF3:3S, and that wasn't even at Evo this year. CvS2 is also a great game, but was that there? No. MvC2 only got into Evo because BB players gave their spot away...

UMK3 is just too old, and you guys should be able to see that. The oldest game that genuinely made it into Evo is HDR, which is still like 12 years newer than UMK3.

Old games just can not be revived. I'm not saying that you should stop playing UMK3, but it will never have a MAJOR scene. Accept it or keep on being stubborn, but the MK scene clearly hasn't gone very far recently, so obviously something is being done wrong.

MK9 really is the only chance.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
You guys are being stubborn, I would literally bet thousands of dollars that UMK3 will never make it to Evo.

Sure UMK3 is a good game, but so is SF3:3S, and that wasn't even at Evo this year. CvS2 is also a great game, but was that there? No. MvC2 only got into Evo because BB players gave their spot away...

UMK3 is just too old, and you guys should be able to see that. The oldest game that genuinely made it into Evo is HDR, which is still like 12 years newer than UMK3.

Old games just can not be revived. I'm not saying that you should stop playing UMK3, but it will never have a MAJOR scene. Accept it or keep on being stubborn, but the MK scene clearly hasn't gone very far recently, so obviously something is being done wrong.

MK9 really is the only chance.
Dude, before you showed up here there was no tournaments for the game. With time, it started growing, and now its getting recognized.

I do agree that we have to support MK9 which is one of my major beefs here, but saying that there is no hope and to quit is pretty much what makes a community fail.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Dude, before you showed up here there was no tournaments for the game. With time, it started growing, and now its getting recognized.

I do agree that we have to support MK9 which is one of my major beefs here, but saying that there is no hope and to quit is pretty much what makes a community fail.

I'm not saying not to support the game, but I'm saying it won't get a really big scene. I'm just being honest, you know I'll support the game too.

MKF30

UMK3 is like wine, it only gets better with age :)

UMK3 can definitely get in if BB and Melty Blood got in there. Ok, BB is most likely better then MB but isn't BB a relatively new series? Yet, bam already at evo lol....

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
UMK3 is like wine, it only gets better with age :)

UMK3 can definitely get in if BB and Melty Blood got in there. Ok, BB is most likely better then MB but isn't BB a relatively new series? Yet, bam already at evo lol....
A game being good doesn't mean it is going to be at EVO or tournaments. VF5 is probably one of the best games technically speaking, yet it barely has a scene tournament wise. Also, 3S wasn't even at EVO and that game is way better than SSF4.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Well, BB is kind of like a followup of the Guilty Gear series. But aside from that, new series are MORE likely to show up at Evo.

Also, seriously, Melty Blood is one of the best fighters out there right now, very cool system and very balanced.

EGP Wonder_Chef

A game being good doesn't mean it is going to be at EVO or tournaments. VF5 is probably one of the best games technically speaking, yet it barely has a scene tournament wise. Also, 3S wasn't even at EVO and that game is way better than SSF4.
That's what I'm saying, UMK3 is a great game, but no matter how good a game is, eventually it will lose the force behind it.

MKF30

MB Wonder Chef must have a smaller following on the overall map I mean because (I mean in terms of the general popularity compared to SF, MK, Tekken etc) I never heard of it til this thread. How old is it? Obviously it has the support for Evo however.

But @Juggernaut and WonderChef, that's true about a game having to have support for Evo, but....the game being good doesn't hurt either. Look at MK D, MKA, KI. They're very broken games, perhaps they just say for arguments sake COULD get in if they had the support(MVC2 afterall is broken, but still has the support) so perhaps you're right that Evo having some broken games with enough support or if the game has the ability to be played at a high level.

I'm just saying, UMK3 is easily one of the best fighters ever made overall, so in that respect it shouldn't have a problem with say "soft bans, bans" on certain characters unlike some other fighters out there that have some ground rules...

Yet at the same time Juggernaut, I doubt the people at Evo would even look at a game like MK D or KI given how busted they are and too many easy ways to win in the 3D MK's(not counting MKDC) it would probably bore people.

Your response had absolutely nothing to do with getting MK at EVO. It was disrespectful to a mod, as well as an out and out flame bait. Check yourself the next time you consider posting like this. Consider yourself warned.

LOL please. TIm's posts have nothing to do with it either and the fact that he's a mod doesn't change the fact that he acts like a dick for no good reason. I couldn't care less if he's a mod or site admin. Consider yourself warned.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Wow Tim you're making me LOL. Ok first off you dont know wtf you're talking about when it comes to games outside of UMK3 and you barely know shit about that. Truth is you're not as good as people who quit the game before ANY console release and you've been playing it for years. I was better than you and I played it casually at best. You don't know shit about melty blood and very few here do and you don't really know shit about high level play on any game. Just because you've watched people doesn't give you right to comment on it. You're exactly whats wrong with the MK community and exactly why even if MK 9 is great it will probably not see a scene.
MK9 will have a scene and I agree to the point that the MK community needs to support "MK" as a whole and not point fingers at "your game sucks" and "This game is better"... I get so fucking tired of that it makes me want to walk away from the discussion.

We all know and are aware that MK has had some previous shitty games. Okay, now we're past that and MK9 looking to be very promising. With that said, do NOT be shitting on MK9 and saying "UMK3 will always be the best MK"... this I don't believe and we'll see if it's true come 3/11. It's not that I don't love and support UMK3, I do... but do not be pointers fingers and saying thid game sucks, come play mine. It's fucking annoying.

I have plans for MK9 and I intend to follow-up with them.

I may have also said that Melty Blood looks like shit compared to MK... well, I'll eat my words on that due to the fact that apparenty that game has a good scene and community behind and that's awesome. That's what we need and we need to stop pointing fingers at certain games and insulting other people's games.

Also, let's try to tone down the talk in this thread. It's been on the right track, so let's keep it that way.

MKF30

That's exactly how I feel about the people out there generally speaking who constantly bash MK but pretend to be a "fan"(yeah exactly think certain sites that aren't affiliated with this one) lol you have no idea how much I hate that...guess you can say I hate fareweather fans, "MK or SF are doing well, and it's "oh I'm a big SF or MK fan" but when they're not, it's "MK sucks or SF sucks" please...I respect different views but I really do hate that. So yeah I hear ya Storms on the positive vs. negative points.
Anyone can bash a game over the games they love but truth be told I'd rather love my game then care about hating yours at the end of the day.

I hear ya storms.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
UMK3 is getting bigger and bigger, I really think it's possible that we will see UMK3 as an official game at EVO next year. NECXI had the highest # of quality players in a long time, with players such as Crazy Dominican coming out of retirement to participate. Myself and DC HUSTLE went to our first UMK3 tournament, traveling long distances. Just a couple of months ago, Moe and Throwerr also came out of retirement to play at SB5. Next month the West Coast will have it's very first official UMK3 tournament, and it will be at a major, West Coast Warzone 3. WB in Feb will also host a UMK3 tournament with a lot of big names. In March, Georgia will have it's first official UMK3 tournament at a major, Final Round 14. And in May, ECT3 will also have a big UMK3 tournament.

This is exactly what I wanted to see when I started this thread. It was a long shot back then, but now, it seems very possible. At the very least UMK3 can be a side game at EVO, but so many people enjoy watching UMK3 on stream, I really think the demand will be high enough for UMK3 to in fact get on the EVO stream. The testament to this will be how well the WC and SE handle the upcoming UMK3 tournaments. I know I will be working hard between now and March to be organized and ready to actually run the tournament at Final Round. I know Krayzie Bone will do fine running the UMK3 tournament at WCW3. I really hope some of the NE guys can make it out to WCW3 or FR14. FR14 will be more likely since it will be cheaper. Hopefully by then I will be able to really help some people get here.

Right now I am currently training some people locally in UMK3. It's kinda crazy seeing how hype UMK3 is these days considering how old it is. People just never really knew that the game can be played the way it is at high levels. That's what I've been hearing constantly by people on the streams and match videos. People always just dismissed it because it was an MK game, without giving it a chance. UMK3 getting streamed is the best thing that could have happened, and I applaud the dedicated MK crew in the NE for making it happen.

I am basically just rambling, just wanted to post on here because what I envisioned taking place when I made this thread is actually happening. We're establishing a strong offline scene for UMK3, and basically MK in general. The MK9 offline scene will be really easy to assemble because of this. Congrats to everyone who is doing so much to support OFFLINE MK, you guys are doing great!

I'm going to try to be there. And I'm going to TRY to take everyone's money in MKIX.

<3 u all. ^_^

No matter what I don't think UMK3 will ever die. And it shouldn't.

I will also be there showing love to King Of Fighters XIII (with DarkGeese), if there are any fellow KOF fans on the boards here. :D

BTW guys, lets not forget...another reason why MK hasn't made it to EVO yet, is because there wasn't a MK game that was considered 'tournament ready" but accessible to everyone (legit). But then again, there was EVO, back in the day, when all games where ran on arcade cab. So I wonder why UMK3 wasn't featured then? =/

hmmmm....

Dark_Rob

Noob
<3 u all. ^_^

No matter what I don't think UMK3 will ever die. And it shouldn't.
It wont. UMK3 is the Rolls Royce of Mortal Kombat games. The crem'e de la crem'e. There will never be another like it. Even if MK9 becomes a successful tournament game, and I truly hope it does, it can never replace UMK3.

Momotaro

Noob
There's no other way I can say this so I'm gonna be as real as possible.

MK2 & UMK3 are the best games in the series IMO, the latter getting more exposure thanks to streams. With MK9 slowly getting closer, exposure is a great thing, as it makes people more willing to give MK a shot through MK9. I'm not gonna talk about Evo much, but I will talk about MK in general.

Let's be honest, the main goal here is for the MK Kommunity to grow. Like a previous post said, UMK3 is getting bigger, which is a great thing. I may get roasted by the OG-samas for what I'm about to say, but I censor myself for no one. MK is getting love from what I see, and UMK3 is making the scene grow. But, for the future of the franchise in general MK9 must succeed.

Let me re-iterate that part: MK9 MUST SUCCEED for the future of MK in general.

For the OG-samas, keep reppin' your game! Keep reppin' UMK3, MK2, MKvsDC, whatever! But if we don't get behind what I call the Heaven or Hell for MK right now, the growth of the other games, while still good will be a far cry from what could've been. I understand if you don't like the new button scheme, juggle mechanics, combo breakers, or Kratos. Trust me, I don't like it that Kratos is in either, but let's look over the faults and keep looking at the positives it can bring. We will not fail like the SC community had.

Also, this UMK3 is old MK9 is new, MK9 is gonna suck UMK3 is the real shit quarrel. This needs to stop. In my eyes the focus should be on MK as a whole. Let's support MK and not individual MK games! For every UMK3/MK2 gathering there should be a MK9 setup. For every MK9 major there should be setups for the classics. If we say Fuck MK9 and go back to the classics or Fuck the classics, MK9 is where the competition is at we're no better than the other communities.

A tree grows over time and achieves greatness, but the roots are eternal. Without a doubt MK9 will get the most play out of any MK because it's new, good, etc. But the roots of MK cannot be denied or forgotten. Let's play MK9, UMK3, and MK2, the trinity or TriForce of MK.

Let's unite the flames, not ignite them.

Dark_Rob

Noob
There's no other way I can say this so I'm gonna be as real as possible.

MK2 & UMK3 are the best games in the series IMO, the latter getting more exposure thanks to streams. With MK9 slowly getting closer, exposure is a great thing, as it makes people more willing to give MK a shot through MK9. I'm not gonna talk about Evo much, but I will talk about MK in general.

Let's be honest, the main goal here is for the MK Kommunity to grow. Like a previous post said, UMK3 is getting bigger, which is a great thing. I may get roasted by the OG-samas for what I'm about to say, but I censor myself for no one. MK is getting love from what I see, and UMK3 is making the scene grow. But, for the future of the franchise in general MK9 must succeed.

Let me re-iterate that part: MK9 MUST SUCCEED for the future of MK in general.

For the OG-samas, keep reppin' your game! Keep reppin' UMK3, MK2, MKvsDC, whatever! But if we don't get behind what I call the Heaven or Hell for MK right now, the growth of the other games, while still good will be a far cry from what could've been. I understand if you don't like the new button scheme, juggle mechanics, combo breakers, or Kratos. Trust me, I don't like it that Kratos is in either, but let's look over the faults and keep looking at the positives it can bring. We will not fail like the SC community had.

Also, this UMK3 is old MK9 is new, MK9 is gonna suck UMK3 is the real shit quarrel. This needs to stop. In my eyes the focus should be on MK as a whole. Let's support MK and not individual MK games! For every UMK3/MK2 gathering there should be a MK9 setup. For every MK9 major there should be setups for the classics. If we say Fuck MK9 and go back to the classics or Fuck the classics, MK9 is where the competition is at we're no better than the other communities.

A tree grows over time and achieves greatness, but the roots are eternal. Without a doubt MK9 will get the most play out of any MK because it's new, good, etc. But the roots of MK cannot be denied or forgotten. Let's play MK9, UMK3, and MK2, the trinity or TriForce of MK.

Let's unite the flames, not ignite them.
While I agree with much of what you say, and your heart is defintely in the right place, lets not forget one thing. For MK9 to succeed on a tournament level....it must be good. That is to say, good enough to maintain and expand the tournament scene which UMK3 has started. BUT, whether MK9 is good or not is entirely beyond our control.
It could be good, it could be a broken piece of garbage, theres just no way to tell yet. I can tell you this though. MK has a tournament scene now, and if MK9 is good the scene will embrace it. If its junk, we wont waste our time. Wel still have UMK3 and we already know thats good.
But your sentiment is spot on and I do hope it works out that way.

MKF30

Who knows MK9 may be better then UMK3, we don't know.

Way I see it, I've noticed there's the MK fans in general, the 3D MK fans, the 2D MK fans and the UMK3 MK fans....

UMK3 will always be great, but MK9 will offer things fresh, new and unlike UMK3's minor issues...patches and updates to fix them if need be. The UMK3 guys may not want to admit it, but if MK9 winds up being hot and it's a choice between UMK3 vs. MK9...I doubt UMK3 will win that battle for Evo...just saying, it's new, fresh, updated etc....

UMK3 is fun but old, just getting respect now...which obviously tells ya something. Not bashing the game, just saying...