What's new

MK Deadly Alliance Tier List Discussion Thread

MKK hanzo

Just hold straight UP before attacking and your character will automatically track your opponent. The lenght and reach depends of course on the char you are using and the attack/combo you used too.

Ok here's my opinion on the Tier List for MK:DA. Scorpion is definitely #1 in this game. He has the easiest combos and definitely can have a lot of moves that can throw off your opponent. His LKs and HKs are very deadly when used in combos and also with his weapon has a very powerful combo that can make him broken but also very cheap. If you ever go up against Moloch you're likely to easily beat him with Scorpion. (that's what I have to say about the tier list)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
He's not #1 due to any combo or even his weapon (if that were so, then Kenshi would be top too due to his weapon being the same). He gets a free hellfire off several moves and is 99% safe in Pi Gua stance due to you being able to BDC (BackDash Cancel) from every move.

wow, i didnt know ppl r taking this much intrest in MKDA. first i wanna say that MKDA is by far the best 3D MK, its not even close. its the last solid Mk game ever made but hopefuly not the last. however mkda is ideal for being the only real game that can trendsend to the current tourney scene. heres y...

as far as the older mk's like umk3 and mk4 there are NO good console ports. yeah 360 has umk3 BUT the pad is trash, theres no Mk stick that the general public can buy so all of them need to be custom made and unlike the standard 6 button sf stick layout that u can use for several games the mk custom layout would be money spent for controls to only play 1 game which doesnt bode well with the avg player. to make things worse, even if you wanted to use the pad or standard 6 button stick you cant even change your buttons on umk3 on 360. basically the only way to revive the arcade mks is to walk around with an arcade machine on your back. this is why sf lived and mk dies. sf trandsended to consoles where as mk dies with the arcades because there just isnt an easy way to play it from home. as far as the other console mks like mkd and mka, THOSE GAMES ARE TRASH! not solid and very scrubby.

mkda is solid, requires no effort to use any pad or stick with, is on ps2 and xbox so its easy to find and hold at tourneys.

anyways, now that that rant is done lets talk mkda...

to answer a few questions asked so far:

"why is drahmin top?"
iron club 4 is very fast with good range and can only be punished by fast jabbers. his throw is the only useable throw in the game and its his interrupt and when it hits drahmin can power up and you cant move and are in a mixup that includes an unblockable pound. flyball is an avg projectile. ground pound is decently fast and juggles and is also a powerup setup. iron club b3 is a fast sweep that u cant tech. his powerup adds tremendous damage, a move like b3 that normally does 10% does about 35% now.

"why is scorpion the best?"
Pi Gua 3!! lol.. seriously though, Pi Gua 3 hits EVERYTHING and is 100% safe with bdc even vs fast jabbers and leads to tech setups or hellfire if the opponent doesnt tech. his push is unblockable and hits mid and spells game over if he corner traps you with it. his Pi Gua lows like b2 and 4 also lead to hellfire and are 100% safe with bdc except vs fast jabbers like kung, jax, and hsu hao. his Pi Gua 221 is a great punisher and ok interrupt and is a free hellfire when it hits and its also 100% safe with bdc except vs fast jabbers.

what is bdc?
bdc stands for Back Dash Cancel. in mkda off of certain attacks you can actually back dash out of your negative frames before you can guard cutting your negative frames down and also allowing you to retreat to a safe range. doing this makes certain attacks in the game safe.

rumors to address:
scropion push hellfire is free.. NEVER!! in open space just back dash after the the push and hellfire wiffs. in corners you must take risk and jump out of push hellfire which leaves you open to other attacks.

you cant guard button taps in transition from high to low and vice versa... WRONG! you can guard all button taps in transition. the only thing that hits in transition are highs as you attempt to low guard. highs become like mids in 50/50 scenarios. if you are already ducking, highs wiff and you can low block and rise just fine without being hit. again, this doesnt happen in button taps. an example would be hsu hao. he can branch and stop at the last hit then cs to a low throw or low strike, if you attepmt to guard the low your will be hit by the high jab in transition and the branch restarts. btw, if you are blocking branches then you are already playing wrong. all branches can be interrupted by your fulll branch after the second hit is blocked. they cant even do 2 hits and guard. if the first 2 hits of a branch are blocked you die.

MKK hanzo

Excellent Tom! Be prepared I have lots of questions like those. Im currently trying tomotivate more ppl here toplay it so I need knopwledge to teach them how to play it right.

ded

Elder God
Tom Brady said:
ded_ said:
he has infinite ^_^
no, drahmin has no infinite.
well i'm not mkda player at all, but i've heard from people including juggernaut that he has infinite, and i believe its in his mkda: unleashed combo video.

MKK hanzo_hasashi said:
Excellent Tom! Be prepared I have lots of questions like those. Im currently trying tomotivate more ppl here toplay it so I need knopwledge to teach them how to play it right.
no prob man. ask away and i'll be glad to answer.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Great post Brady.

I only posted about the getting hit in transitioning block from the information you gave me years ago, thanks for clarifying.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
MKA and MKD do have their problems but the parries in MKA and wake up DO indeed help out compared to MKD, that game is all offense, MKA is more defense.

I enjoy every MK personally but the jumping in MK:DA and in MKD sucked balls....I hate a jumping mechanic that feels like you're in mud fighting as my friend mastermalone once put it. :roll:

MKF30 said:
MKA and MKD do have their problems but the parries in MKA and wake up DO indeed help out compared to MKD, that game is all offense, MKA is more defense.

I enjoy every MK personally but the jumping in MK:DA and in MKD sucked balls....I hate a jumping mechanic that feels like you're in mud fighting as my friend mastermalone once put it. :roll:
Yeah, I hated that feeling to, and the kick never knocked down anyone in those games, unless you were Scorpion or Sub - Zero, which I also hated the double jump kick they did, they looked like heavyweights, but I was glad it was back to the normal JK in MK:A.

TheRagingStorm said:
MKF30 said:

Yeah, I hated that feeling to, and the kick never knocked down anyone in those games, unless you were Scorpion or Sub - Zero, which I also hated the double jump kick they did, they looked like heavyweights, but I was glad it was back to the normal JK in MK:A.
jumping kicks werent supposed to be effective in mkda and so they werent. mkda is a 3D fighter not 2D. in 3D games jumping rarely is even useful.

MKF30

Nobody can be certain of that, Midway wanted to change the whole engine but still that's no excuse for poor jump kicks, one of the things I did like about MKA it brought back that 2D almost feel or at least more freedom and speed to get away.

MK:DA and MKD are all offensive, no defense compared to MKA.

I can tell by your last statement that you don't play MKA online at high level.

Believe me jumping is KEY in online play, I play every night I know.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I don't normally post on here, but I would like to make a point to say that MKDA, MKD and MKA are not really 3D. MK4 wasn't, and these games are not much closer to 3D than MK4. You are stuck in a 2D playing field, even though you can side step. Technically, you could add a sidestep type move, like dodge in SNK games, and it'd be along those lines. You have 4 way movement in the current generation, 8 way is closer to 3D gameplay.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
MKF30 said:
Nobody can be certain of that, Midway wanted to change the whole engine but still that's no excuse for poor jump kicks, one of the things I did like about MKA it brought back that 2D almost feel or at least more freedom and speed to get away.

MK:DA and MKD are all offensive, no defense compared to MKA.

I can tell by your last statement that you don't play MKA online at high level.

Believe me jumping is KEY in online play, I play every night I know.
Man, MK:D is defensive, too. Dairou, BRC, and N/S are the best for a reason - they can keep you away. It's just that MK:D's offense is so dumbed down. Most of it consists of walking up and either doing a throw or a mid attack.

And jumping is effective ONLY online to such a large extent (but then again, so is abusing mid pop ups that are easily punishable off-line). The point is that jumping has a landing animation off-line, and thus it's not as useful as online. Plus, you cannot jump after blocked mid pops off-line. It's all lag online that allows you to do such things.

Yo, Brady, how many "safe moves" are there in MK:DA? I know all moves leave you at a disadvantage but are there any that are 100% safe? And what do you mean by "quick jabbers"? Something like the jab in the Shaolin stance?

MKF30

Shock said:
I don't normally post on here, but I would like to make a point to say that MKDA, MKD and MKA are not really 3D. MK4 wasn't, and these games are not much closer to 3D than MK4. You are stuck in a 2D playing field, even though you can side step. Technically, you could add a sidestep type move, like dodge in SNK games, and it'd be along those lines. You have 4 way movement in the current generation, 8 way is closer to 3D gameplay.
I'd have to disagree with you here on the last 3 MK's, I totally agree with you on MK4 but not on the other three, you can sidestep I've done it a lot of time even though that's not a huge part of my game, there was a few guys on xbox live back in MKD that were known for sidestepping very well. In MK4 it was a tapping motion or hitting run/block a few times to sidestep, but the game was mainly 2D for the most part a lot more then it was 3D, look wise it was 3D but not gameplay wise. MK:DA, MKD and MKA on the other hand you can side step a lot. Very helpful against projectiles also let me tell ya. Especially against say Dairous, Sareenas characters that shoot a really fast projectile, you have two options. Sidestep or jump, if you jump you better time it right or eat a fireball, sidestepping is really easy to dodge projectiles from my experience anyway.

You attack they know the timing and frames etc and sidestep perfectly, then counter. A good tactic that most players don't really use that much anymore but it's useful

Also, certain moves track you so the SS is pretty much pointless in some cases but there are a lot of moves you can side step. But the past 3 MK's are a lot more 3D then MK4 could ever be or ever was, it was a 2D game that looked 3D didn't play like it. The newer ones actually do play like 3D games.

I remember first playing MK:DA the transition wasn't smooth at all and at first I didn't like it, but got used to it. Now going back and forth to 2D MK-3D MK can be a bit of a challenge unless you play all the games. :)

To dave, yeah man I see what you're saying I'm just saying MKD is a lot more offensive compared to MKA where you can turtle more, bait more, eazytobeat's game is ALL about jumping and he's one of the best on xbox. I played him last night I improved against him actually lol To 10, it was 10-7 him a lot better then others do and a lot better then I have been doing against him lol. Then we played a few more after that. But his game is all on jumping and lag, My game is with jumping I like baiting and turtling. He uses the jumping tactics into tricks like deep kicks into specials, AC, etc.

MKDA was a TRUE 3D game! it had the best side step system by far of any MK. if you didnt use a technique known as universal tracking, which still doesnt have EVERY move track, then someone will side step you all day easily. in MKDA you cant just walk up to someone and attack cuz if you do then its side step city for you. in fact, before i discovered universal tracking
shang looked like the best character because of his side stepping ability in crane.

MKDA has both offense and defense, defense is REALLY key in that game. i mean does the term "stand and block" sound offensive?

fast jabbers are characters that have a stance with faster jabs. jax, hsu hao, kung lao, raiden, etc are fast jabbers. those characters have much faster jabs then characters like, scorp, brc, etc.

to name a few 100% safe moves in mkda .. reptile crab b3(15% low) and b2(launcher that leads to 40+%), sonya tkd 3(good damage, untechable mid), jax machine gun punches, scorp pi gua 3, mavado hookswords 3(BROKEN MOVE! 15% low that keeps you guessing on hit and 100% safe on block with bdc) there are some good safe moves in mkda this was just a few off the top of my head. also, certain sweeps that have you crouched are semi safe. what i mean is that after the sweep is blocked you can remain ducking and are safe from all high branches. the opponent needs to punish with mids.

no doubt about that tom

ss was the best in mkda, by far. you went flying!!! lol

everything else is meh... hapkido ss 23u4 ftw!!!

MKF30

Ohh hell yeah, I totally agree you know I thought I was like the only person in the world that felt that way because once MKD came out people were like OMG it's tighter, faster etc.

I was like umm I don't think so lol, MK:DA seemed so much smoother, faster and useful compared to the SS in MKD/MKA by far.

At least MKA makes up for it a bit with the good jumping but MKD sucked IMO with the Sidestepping and jumping.

As for offense and defense, I felt MK:DA for the most part was a good mix of both but if I had to choose one I'd say more offense personally, that's my opinion.

But the balance of it was awesome as oppose to MKD where Bo and Dair owned the whole game.

For me check it was Kenshi all the way baby, sidestep + sword juggle TK combo=ownage :wink: especially if you have the charge up ha, ha, ha. Massive damage. :D

RoGE

Noob
I wonder how scorpions Pi Gua would do in MKD and MKA... probably be broken as hell, with like.. 50 free throws :lol:

MKF30

Maybe, Midway did fix a lot of the FT's that were in MKD that aren't in MKA..hell even Bo isn't nearly as bad as he was in MKDA and MKD... lol

I never liked Pi Gua honestly though, not sure why just never crazy about it.

Other day this dude online tried using the "dark bo" tricks, I beat him with Fujin... :lol: also knocked him in a DT one round LMAO...ohh so satisfying in his case lol.

Man.. this game was so awesome I wish they put online for it, Reptile was so comfortable to use in here, and I'm glad he's actually good in this 3D one.

1.Scorpion
2.Bo' Rai Cho
3.Reptile
4.Drahmin
5.Sonya
6.Shang Tsung
7.Hsu Hao
8.Mavado
9.Frost
10.Jax
11.Quan Chi
12.Raiden
13.Mokap
14.Johnny Cage
15.Kenshi
16.Kung Lao
17.Sub-Zero
18.Kano
19.Blaze
20.Nitara
21.Li Mei
22.Kitana
23.Cyrax

if u have any questions on any character or y a certain character is tiered where they r feel free to ask.
I have a question about a frost and Reptile matchup. I've always did say Reptile would win but I want to be informed HOW would he win. does he have a good arsenel? Only thing i really see that's abused is that reversal.