What's new

MK character ranks and tier

Ive seen posts discussing player ranks and tiers. Apparently people have actually figured out how to rank players and conclude who the top tiers of an MK game is. for MK2 its been said to be mileena/jax and for UMK3 its been said to be kabal/Humansmoke etc.

Im interested in how this all was determined.
What criteria are you guys looking at to determine if a player is a top tier. ie jax and mileena for MK2?

What do you guys look at to decide a players rank?

how do you determine all of this?

This is interesting

You asked in the MK2 section
http://www.ultimatemk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64&start=34

dreemernj said:
Basically how well they can be used in high level play.

What is a characters strengths?
How well can they be countered?
Do a characters strategies work against all/a lot of characters?
Do they require taking risks in order to do damage?

And this all assumes the character is being used by someone with skill against someone with skill.

Depending on the depth of the game, tiers are often more or less solid. MK2's tier is pretty solid because the game is rather limited. There's only so much variety that can exist between gameplay styles of different players.

And also, the tiers aren't really something that a person or even a few people decided. They are a result of many many people playing the game, trying out countless strategies, and eventually figuring out what characters are the best at winning in high level play.

I think the tiers are like this:

Top 10 UMK3(cuz I'm 2 lazy):
1.Kabal
2.Human Smoke
3.Kung Lao
4.Ermac
5.Reptile Reptile is only #5 cuz his forceball infinite... ...and he's a bitch
6.Kitana
7.Cyborg Smoke
8.Unmasked Sub
9.Jax
10.Sheeva

MK2:
1.Mileena
2.Jax
3.Shang Tsung
4.Sub-Zero
5.Kitana
6.Scorpion
7.Liu Kang
8.Rayden
9.Kung Lao
Tie 10.Baraka
10.Johnny Cage
12.Reptile

Playa96 said:

1.Kabal
2.Human Smoke
3.Classic Sub
4.Ermac
6.Kitana
7.Cyborg Smoke
8.Unmasked Sub
9.Jax
10.Sheeva
Reptile doesn't have a forceball infinite, and can you please explain why classic sub is #3?

dreemernj

Ambassador
Classic Sub isn't number 3. And Reptile is #5 because he is a powerful character. He can get around so fast because the dash is like unlimited super run and the forceballs are awesome for zoning. It's still a lot of work to get really big damage with him so that is less of a factor. And as Dave said, there is no forceball inf. Maybe on Saturn? lol

kombat_veteran, why copy and paste the post from the other thread here? That's stupid.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
They look like a mix of favorite character/actual tier/common misconceptions and representations of power, ie: Sheeva's 7 hit combo = strong.

dreemernj said:
Classic Sub isn't number 3. And Reptile is #5 because he is a powerful character. He can get around so fast because the dash is like unlimited super run and the forceballs are awesome for zoning. It's still a lot of work to get really big damage with him so that is less of a factor. And as Dave said, there is no forceball inf. Maybe on Saturn? lol

kombat_veteran, why copy and paste the post from the other thread here? That's stupid.
Classic Sub IS #3 in my book. And I mean the inf where Reptile keeps punching him and he ends it with a uppercut.

dreemernj said:

Holy crap!! You're right. And I mean the inf where Reptile keeps punching him and he ends it with a uppercut.

DAVE101 said:
Playa96 said:

1.Kabal
2.Human Smoke
3.Classic Sub
4.Ermac
6.Kitana
7.Cyborg Smoke
8.Unmasked Sub
9.Jax
10.Sheeva
Reptile doesn't have a forceball infinite, and can you please explain why classic sub is #3?
I don't know why. I'll change that.

dreemernj

Ambassador
MK2 tiers have a thread in the MK2 section. I'd say your tier list is off in the areas of shang, sub, scorp.