What's new

MixBox Arcade - MK11 Launch Day to now impressions.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous

MixBox Arcade - Ps4 Controller

Some Background

So another MK and I thought I would try a new controller. I'm far from a pro, so take these comments with a grain of salt but these are my impressions of my new toy. This is no a sponsored review in anyway.

I have been a stick user pretty much from the resurgence of sticks in the mainstream market. I like many at TYM started gaming in the Arcades and once proper sticks and game ports made its way to the home I switched to them and never looked back. There was a period during the bit-wars before "real" sticks were a thing for normal consumers that I used pad.. but basically what I am trying to say here is that I consider myself a stick player.

At the start of MKx I decided to buy a HitBox. I had seen them used by people like Tyrant and the HUGE effect it had on the Tekken scene and thought it would be a cool toy. While I greatly enjoy the HitBox and think in general it is a fantastic device once you get used to it, my brain has always had problems with how they designed the "jump" button. I consider myself competent with a HitBox but pressing jump always seems clumsy to me and I often find at the moment of button press I get confused a little.

So when MK11 came out I ordered a MixBox... as this box with its "wsad" moment controls that match first person shooters and traditional stick button layouts seemed like it could bring best of both worlds. HitBox ease of use, but a more natural movement sequence.

I play mainly on PC. I have not ever owned a current generation console. I actually plan to get the Ps5 next time though. So all this is tested on the PC version of MK11.

Build Quality + Some Techy Stuff

The MixBox quality seems extremely high quality to me. The box is solid, metal and plexi glass, it has weight, the buttons crisp and finish is just lovely. The claim to use authentic Sanwa parts but the truth be told I can not tell. They feel pretty identical to my MadCatz TE and I am very happy with them. It uses "red" MX switches for the keyboard buttons, they also feel great imo.

I choose to get the PS4 (Black) left handed, traditional. This is the one in the photo at the top. They make reversed layouts for right handed people as well as a version of the layout with the movement buttons slightly rotated to more naturally match the rest position of the human hand when using the device. I chose to get the layout I did as the big part of this box is about PC users coming from games using wsad controls. So I wanted it to match that.

Reversed Layout with the rotated movement controls.​

The device has a cord and no wireless support. The wire goes into a compartment with a detachable door. The wire can not be removed but it connects to the device deep in the recess of the compartment. I do not think it would be easy to break as the connection is protected by being down the back and away from the exit. The wire is also pretty long. I assume for couch potatoes. It is a kinda pain to put the wire away, but not that bad. Having the detachable plate instead of a door is a huge plus here. Truth is though, that I mainly just wrap the cord around the box.

They basically make 2 models... a PS4 / PC one and Universal one.. that works on Nintendo switch, PS4, Xbox one, Pc, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U. This one is WAY more expensive.

The plexi glass cover screws right off so you can use a template to basically add any art you like. It will take more time to print than mod the art design.

All the function buttons are on the side and they also added some extra stuff for the PS4 Thumbstick buttons, which is really cool. There is also a "Touch Button" but I am not sure how it works.. it is kind of like a key that changes the function of the other keys. I have not ever used it.

On the back with the start, menu and home buttons is a turbo button. You press this and then press any button and then that button is now turbo. This can be done for individual buttons. So turbo LP but everything else normal if you like. I have never used them apart form grinding towers.

There is also a switch inside that changes how the movement controls work. Basically there are two ways it can handle simultaneous opposing movements. Option 1 means back and forward is always neutral, and up and down is always UP. Option 2 is what I use. If you are pressing forward and start to also hold down back you move backward, Release either and you continue in the other direction. Same for up and down. This lead to them getting in trouble as in SFV you could use a charge character and walk forwards while throwing booms. To be honest I do not know what happened about that, I do not follow Street Fighter.

It plus into a PC windows 10 system and work with the native generic drivers. Plug in and go.

HitBox vs MixBox

The HitBox has some great stuff about it, I mean I have been using it for years now and I really like it but one of the things that always bugged me was the buttons. For those that do not know. The HitBox has very small buttons in a strange layout. Not massively strange but still out of sync in size and position to a classic arcade stick. The MixBox is an exact arcade layout. Size, shape and feel. There is zero difference for your left hand when using the MixBox if you are a stick player. I think this is a huge plus.

Apart from that I think they give a nearly identical player experience. Both HitBox and MixBox are able to do lightning fast inputs., as well as complex ones. Also like Hitbox they kinda suck as 360+ stick movement. Though the mix box is a littler easier than the HitBox.

The big difference is of course the keyboard layout thing for movement. I find that the MixBox is a bit easier to use. For some reason on HitBox my brain gets muddled when pressing UP. The MixBox doesn't have that for me.

MixBox and MK11 and other Controllers

Not much to say here.. it is crazy good at MK inputs, just like the HitBox. Like all controllers it is just a tool.. using pad, stick or a box of some type will not suddenly make you a better player. I Really like Sticks... pads are just anoying. I'm a big guy, around 6,7foot and I get horrible hand cramp on pads as they are so small in my hands. The Hitbox, sticks and MixBox do not have tis issue at all. Also the MixBox and HitBox are cool for travelling as you do not need to remove the stick. All stick users have not bothered to remove the stick at some point and all stick users have gotten to the hotel and found the stick has been broken on the flight or w/e by having something press on it.

I personally think the MixBox is a bit easier than the HitBox, particularly if you are a experienced PC gamer that is used to WSAD. My mate is a huge Starcraft player and went strait to MK11 on PC with basically no down time. Like a hitbox there is really no execution learning on movement. There are some issues on both Mix and Hit with crouch cancels, but this is a Tekken thing and full 360 type moments are difficult.

Rpgz

Fraudguad/Weeb?
OMGZ so jealous! gonna have to splurge on a stick soon! maybe...I have big hands, and ps4 controller isnt bad.

Still that mixbox is preatty af...how much did it set u back? ballpark? 200? 300?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I've been interested in the MixBox, as it seemed far more natural a controller than the HitBox. I learned stick years ago for SFIV and just arcade gaming in general, but my execution is just too sloppy on it lol.

Pricing is up there, but sounds worth it. If I ever get sick of pads, I think I know where to go.

Picked up a mixbox to try out... I liked it a lot. I think that it has some real advantages over the hitbox for PC gamers. I found it super easy to use but it is one of those.. not better just different type things. If you are a hitbox user like I am there is no need to change really. (I got the left hand layout with the rotated WSAD controls)

Some thoughts.
  • I thought that the classic arcade stick buttons layouts would be a positive like Jynks said.... but I actually think the HitBox smaller buttons is much easier to use.
  • The WSAD keys are clicky and feel pretty good, but not as good as a button.
I'd say that a custom hitbox with basically identical to the hitbox but with a wsad "group" of hitbox buttons, not keys... would be my ultimate "box". So basically if HitBox moved the big UP button to under the LUR buttons.

I'm going to run MixBox for a while and see what I feel like in a few months.

Last edited: