What's new

Misery blade: too much nerf of Tsuka Poke?

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Tsuka Poke (misery blade~3, mid) was very good option: +19 on hit (i agree, that is cheap lol), -2 on block (i think, that is ok), but it has very bad property - very small hitbox and often, very often whiffed.
And now it gets 3 nerfes:
"Tsuka Poke (Misery Blade) now has 1 more active frame, 5 more frames of blockstun with slightly increased pushback, and 9 more frames of recovery"

Now it: -6 on block (i think, it is too much, but ok, that is not the point), +11 on hit (i agree with that) and 25 FRAMES OF RECOVERY ON WHIFF. That is HORRIBLE. With so little hitbox and very high percentage of whiff even in close combat, that mean that Tsuka Poke is now very low reward and high risk move.

I think, there 2 solutions:
  1. make hitbox bigger with same recovery
  2. make hitbox same, but reduce recovery to previous (at least) or even less value

Tsuka Poke (misery blade~3, mid) was very good option: +19 on hit (i agree, that is cheap lol), -2 on block (i think, that is ok), but it has very bad property - very small hitbox and often, very often whiffed.
And now it gets 3 nerfes:
"Tsuka Poke (Misery Blade) now has 1 more active frame, 5 more frames of blockstun with slightly increased pushback, and 9 more frames of recovery"

Now it: -6 on block (i think, it is too much, but ok, that is not the point), +11 on hit (i agree with that) and 25 FRAMES OF RECOVERY ON WHIFF. That is HORRIBLE. With so little hitbox and very high percentage of whiff even in close combat, that mean that Tsuka Poke is now very low reward and high risk move.

I think, there 2 solutions:
  1. make hitbox bigger with same recovery
  2. make hitbox same, but reduce recovery to previous (at least) or even less value
Tsuka poke was a great option to blow up mashers. Specifically the ones that like to mash poke after blocked F3. Cancels cost resources, ALL mixup options are FULL combo punishable, etc.

Free cancel nerf was understandable, but I just don’t see why they nerfed Tsuka Poke.

Zhidoreptiloid

Watcher from the sky
Tsuka poke was a great option to blow up mashers. Specifically the ones that like to mash poke after blocked F3. Cancels cost resources, ALL mixup options are FULL combo punishable, etc.

Free cancel nerf was understandable, but I just don’t see why they nerfed Tsuka Poke.
Yes, i agree with cancel for meter, in stress-test and beta-test that was sooo cheap, but now it not only cost resources, but also make flash of scorpion, which makes reaction to cancel easier.
But... Tsuka poke is core move of stance. That 3 nerfs (3!) is unfair. especially, recovery on whiff

Yes, i agree with cancel for meter, in stress-test and beta-test that was sooo cheap, but now it not only cost resources, but also make flash of scorpion, which makes reaction to cancel easier.
But... Tsuka poke is core move of stance. That 3 nerfs (3!) is unfair. especially, recovery on whiff
It’s no reason to use 3rd variation lol. Literally a waste of a patch. I wish they would just get rid of variations for future games.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I'm going to give misery blade a good shot before I give an opinion on it. I know the consensus so far is that it sucks.

kcd117

Noob
So it is safe on block and guarantees pressure on hit but it needs adjusting bc it can’t be whiffed?

Not many characters have a safe special and it can be spaced to avoid whiffs. If it happens to whiff, you simply deserve to be punished for the poor spacing so it can be -25 or -100. As long as they don’t put it in the barely punishable range (-10ish), bc that imo is scrubby as hell, I can’t see it being a problem.

Scoot Magee

I've just been avoiding using mb3 canceled from specific strings that make it whiff against certain characters. Mb3 on it's own seems like a great mid in certain situations. You do have to be cautious of the range you use it at, especially when canceled into.

In most cases mb3 connects after f42, f4 and f3 (range dependant). I've been mixing a lot of these strings with cancels and mb3. Even though most are negative they aren't so easy to see, especially with conditioning. I've been successful with a lot of cancels into throw/strike/shimmy mix ups. B2 mb cancel works well too as long as you space it out properly.

Mb3 has its uses, I'm finding more as I play. Mb4 is super unsafe but it's a fast and reaches like half screen. The overhead is pretty good because its fast enough and everyone blocks low vs scorpion.

I think mb is kind of underrated right now. I'm having a lot of fun playing it. Sin blade seems pretty awesome too. Great meterless damage and people respect it.

I've been told theres os options to stop all his cancels and etc. Honestly I haven't run into that yet but nobody plays me lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Misery Blade of course was overnerfed to begin with. This is why I stopped mentioning it like week 1. I figured it was going to get a little buff for the 3rd variation, but instead, it got nerfed even more. Lmaooo RIP

I honestly do feel like they overnerfed. Its' applications are practical but you have to play either super solid or super crazy. I've definitely had people push buttons on me because it's now +11 and it's online.

Scoot Magee

I dont think mb is bad at all. Theres plenty of moves that can be canceled into mb3 and it doesnt whiff. Its 3f when you're in stance and theres good ways to set it up. B1xxmb3, F3xx mb3 and f42xx mb3 work well especially mixed with the cancel. You can cancel anything for the most part.

Mb 4 reaches across half the screen. The range is insane. You can catch people walking constantly. When they respect it the overhead is not easy to react to. Conditioning is key.

Im ok with being +1 after b14 cancel. I feel much better and more safe up close with mb over sr.

I love sin blade btw. The damage added to bnb combos and its use in neutral/wakeup situations is great. I'm having a lot of fun learning this variation. Dont sleep on it.

of course it's not bad. it's just not as good as it used to be and I feel like they overstepped past making cancel cost meter. could've been just that nerf and that's it. I mean think about it. they nerfed misery blade when it wasn't even a tournament move. so they nerfed it strictly for casual play.