What's new

Mileena's D4

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Here's what you do. If she throws it out, block high, not low. You know that she's trying to set you up for a mid...it's not rocket science. I abuse the shit out of Reptile's D4 acid hand (which hits mid); so many people block low that it's just absurd to me...I mean, really. It's very very simple to figure out. I can't even begin to tell you how many rounds I've won simply dashing up to someone, waiting for their wakeup, and continually doing D4 acid hand.

I've played a lot of Mileena's at this point, and I do not have much trouble with her, because I don't allow her to condition me. Maybe I should start playing Mileena because it seems that everyone is so utterly unaware of how to block properly.

Furb

Noob
Looks like you people didn't played any good Mileena yet. You know her only from this threads and "MK oracles". But I understand this. I can tell you that if Mileena was less punishable (something like KL) than she would be S Tier. Srsly.

But I understand this. I can tell you that if Mileena was less punishable (something like KL) than she would be S Tier. Srsly.
Absolutely true. If Mileena was much safer she would be S-Tier. But she's not, so....

Look, I know D4 is really obnoxious. Some see it as "easy defense" or a "get out of jail free card". But really, she can be hit out of it with a jump kick. I know that means nothing to some people, but think. The damage trade off alone is enough to discourage it's use as AA. (Not to mention if you have a character that can combo off it like Kitana or characters with Air throws.) Secondly, if you block D4, you can stop her from using another by counter poking, or jumping.

If Mileena was the only one in the game that had an all-purpose move then maybe Mileena players would be more inclined to agree with you. But with KL spin (which is faster, can't be counter poked, or jumped, AND gives combos) and Sonya having the EXACT same kick, there are obviously a few other other moves that are just as abuseable if not worse. D4 can not win on it's own against high level play.

btw Iniquity, as far as I know, Mileena uses D4 to condition you to hesitate, not duck for slow overheads. It's how I use it anyway.

Cammy cr. forward in Super Turbo is OP! She can poke, like, anyone out of anything. Its unfair. I think the move has a phantom hitbox that makes it invincible! Somebody e-mail Capcom, ST Cammy needs a nerf!

There's no way this Furb guy is serious. D4 is the most broken thing in the game? aaahahahahahaha...

I better agree with him or I know nothing about Mileena!

Do you even know that there's ton's of pokes with faster start up frames that can be linked into strings? Do you understand that a wiffed or blocked D4 is actually highly punishable?

Seriously you have got to be just trolling.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Reed the post from page one. I will say for the 10th time. The problem dosent lies in the d4 being AA or that it can be or cant link into special.
The issue here is that it is buggy. There are pointed few serious examples on first pages.
Some are:
- C.J - his X-ray whiff while Mileena gives him a middle finger.
-NW - cant do shit about it either. Or can, but with what? Shouler, Arrow, XRay that whiffs, LOL
-Kabal Ex-spin wont spin her sometimes (though it takes dmg from her) LOL
- Sektor TP whiff (even as WA)

Kung Laos Spin is easy to punish with good combo. This is not! I jumping is a solution - but a good Mileena player will roll your ass down the second you try to land that jkick.

I will poke her out eventually but that is not the problem here.

why wouldn't NW's x-ray wiff against a ducking player?

Mileena's roll also goes right through johnny cage's wakeup shadow kick, but no one's complaining about that being bugged.

You are comparing a special that leads into a juggle, that is also used to defend anything, to a 3% normal poke... and the point of your comparison is that the D4 is lame because the special that has way more utility and leads to much, much more damage in more situations is more punishable than the poke is?

Seriously just stop it.

regarding this, on a stream i saw, reo was saying that this and kitanas d1 were getting nerfed, and kung lao is remaining as is, can anyone confirm (not trying to thread jack, as this is pretty relevant)

RamenO

It Stinks!
I have no idea why Street Fighter keeps getting referenced here. Not the same game, not even the same play style.

In Super Mario brothers when Luigi jumped on a Goomba he would instantly kill them. I'd like to see the same treatment for Mileena's teleport kick.

Her D4 hitbox is a little bit ridiculous. Outside of a late jump kick, nothing can really beat it. Maybe an armor move, but even Stryker's Baton Sweep doesn't hit fast enough I think. Like Tom said, though, everyone has different properties in fighting games. It's what makes them unique.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
I have no idea why Street Fighter keeps getting referenced here. Not the same game, not even the same play style.

In Super Mario brothers when Luigi jumped on a Goomba he would instantly kill them. I'd like to see the same treatment for Mileena's teleport kick.

Her D4 hitbox is a little bit ridiculous. Outside of a late jump kick, nothing can really beat it. Maybe an armor move, but even Stryker's Baton Sweep doesn't hit fast enough I think. Like Tom said, though, everyone has different properties in fighting games. It's what makes them unique.
Street Fighter is being referenced because D4 is similar to footsies a very common game play in Street Fighter. D4 (footsies) isn't impossible to get around but I understand why people new to the concept might be frustrated.

Nice try with your straw man argument though.

RamenO

It Stinks!
The Super Mario bit was a joke, and I'm not quite sure how you'd figure I was "frustrated" with it. I agreed with Tom's earlier notion that her D4 is simply a result of character diversity and something unique to her.

I understand what footsies are as well, I play Street Fighter. However, footsies in SF aren't the same thing in MK. Footsies isn't randomly tossing out crouched pokes for the sake of beating out a move as in MK; that's not even what footsies are regardless. My point was that you can't compare game mechanics in a balance debate like that in different fighters. I sure as hell wouldn't want Guile nerfed or buffed because someone made an analogy or comparison to Paul Phoenix from Tekken.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
I gotta agree with you here. The point of this post was to talk about it. I didnt wanted to be changed nerffed. If it will, that'd be cool. If not, well....we will deal with it anyway :)

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
The Super Mario bit was a joke, and I'm not quite sure how you'd figure I was "frustrated" with it. I agreed with Tom's earlier notion that her D4 is simply a result of character diversity and something unique to her.

I understand what footsies are as well, I play Street Fighter. However, footsies in SF aren't the same thing in MK. Footsies isn't randomly tossing out crouched pokes for the sake of beating out a move as in MK; that's not even what footsies are regardless. My point was that you can't compare game mechanics in a balance debate like that in different fighters. I sure as hell wouldn't want Guile nerfed or buffed because someone made an analogy or comparison to Paul Phoenix from Tekken.
I sort of disagree, I think footsies played correctly in both game end up with the same results. My opinion is that when you use D4 correctly you pressure your opponent into make mistakes like jumping at you which results in a punish. If I am a Mileena player sticking out D4's randomly I am vulnerable to a punish. Lets pretend that my opponent realizes that I always stick out 2 D4's before I do something else, after the 1st D4 the opponent jumps at me but I've stuck out my 2nd D4. This puts me in a bad situation because now the opponent gets a free combo or pressure string depending on the timing.

The first D4 is out prioritized by pokes with faster start ups.... some of which can be linked into strings. There are also specials that punish it.. like KL's spin.

Her hitbox is small when she's doing it... I don't think anyone denies that. But jesus... we're talking about a poke... a 3% fucking poke... There's specials in this damn game that are less punishable than repeated use of D4 that do way more damage. The "D4 is ridiculous!" shit is getting old.

Some dude actually tried to say before that if REO used nothing but D4 he would have won Evo... Yea.. I'm sure PL would get hit by D4 34 times a round without ever using spin.

I get the feeling that the people who bitch about D4 are just scorpion players who do absolutely nothing but jump the entire match trying to land a JIP, and they are butt hurt because mileena can defend a cross over jip with 3% damage...

be thankful you aren't getting punished with telekick air sai roll combos. D4 is not overpowered... it's not like someone can abuse it to the point where they use it and nothing else tow win... They'd have to hit you 34 fucking times in one round. If it did more damage than other pokes, then there's a problm.. But a normal poke getting this much attention is the stupidest shit ever.

If you are getting hit by 68 D4s in one match and getting beat by Mileena because of ONE damn poke that she has, you suck at this game. and that's all there is to it. Christ. you guys act like D4 is auto win.

The biggest problem with this game is that there's the possibility of complete BS, based on false premises, leading to patches that aren't needed at all.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
When she starts D+4, I just back out and let her come at me another way. The thing about Mileena is eventually she makes a mistake by dive kicking or rolling. They are so highly punishable that it makes medicore Mileena players fairly easy to beat. Now the GOOD Mileena players know how to shake it up. They just keep backing off and throwing fukcing sais and that gets old.

The hitbox on her D+4 is ridiculous. Don't give me the jump kick bullshit story because even jump kicks whiff when she does it. Her hitbox is screwed either way you try to paint the picture. Also, just because it only does 3% damage doesn't mean it's not an issue. Sure its only 3%, but everytime you approach her she can D+4 you and all you can do is attempt a jumpkick, which she will bait so she can anti air you, telekick you, roll your ass and combo, Block, or attempt to throw out a poke yourself or retreat. If you retreat, the instant air sai spam ensues and all you can do is dash block in and eat chip damage, attempt to trade with her, or neutral duck and get hit by random telekicks because baiting them requires jedi reflexes. her roll is punishable but a blocked telekick can be canceled mid air with sais giving her a semi safe landing allowing her to poke you again or mix it up. This D+4 of hers even guarantees first hit and extra meter at the beginning of every fucking match, unless you predict it with your jedi senses and avoid it somehow.

Yes, her D+4 is a fucking problem. All those who say it isn't are a bunch of hypocrites probably spamming that shit left and right. Her D+4 is like a tiny water drop from an AC vent that just won't stop trickling. That tiny drop keeps on and on until it becomes a huge fucking puddle. Catch my drift?

EDIT: Don;t bring Cheap Lao into this thread saying he can spin it. Kung Lao can spin anything and is by far the most ridiculous broken char in the game.

Here I fixed the quote for you moron:

you and all you can do is attempt a jumpkick, which she will bait so she can anti air you, telekick you, roll your ass and combo, Block, or attempt to throw out a poke yourself or retreat. If you retreat, the instant air sai spam ensues and all you can do is dash block in and eat chip damage, attempt to trade with her, or neutral duck and get hit by random telekicks because baiting them requires jedi reflexes. her roll is punishable but a blocked telekick can be canceled mid air with sais giving her a semi safe landing allowing her to poke you again or mix it up. This D+4 of hers even guarantees first hit and extra meter at the beginning of every fucking match, unless you predict it with your jedi senses and avoid it somehow.

you and all you can do is attempt a jumpkick, which she will bait so she can anti air you, telekick you, roll your ass and combo, Block, or attempt to throw out a poke yourself or retreat.
Dash block. You're not going to jump at any other character at her max D4 range, which is around sweep distance. Mileena is no different.

This D+4 of hers even guarantees first hit and extra meter at the beginning of every fucking match, unless you predict it with your jedi senses and avoid it somehow.
Block low.