What's new

Mileena vs. Raiden

Dizz_88

Noob
This is one of my worst matchups, and the match up charts say its 5-5. I realize my frametraps don't work because raiden can just teleport and do a superman. Everytime I try to apply pressure raiden just teleports out of it. If I go for a jip he just teleports. I have no idea how to play this matchup. I heard pig has posted a video a long time ago about how to play this mu, but I can't find it . If anybody could give me some advice I'd appreciate it.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
As you have said, Raiden can easily escape Mileena's offense with his teleport. He can also teleport or dash forward on reaction when he notices Mileena going into the animation for her teleport kick, or do a superman. Zoning him with instant-air sais is pretty pointless as well.

NEVER go for a jump-in. The Raiden player who knows anti-airs will score a s1 - Vicinity Blast followed by a full combo for around 30% potential damage. Jumpkicks would be wise, but they lose to his armored EX Electric Grab which also nets him a combo.

Honestly...I don't see this match-up being even. I can see how Raiden effectively shuts down so many of Mileena's options, from far away and up-close. The best I could tell you to do, as Mileena, is try to check him with d4, and maybe punish a teleport you read with her Ball Roll. Remember, Raiden's teleport almost can't be punished on reaction...it has to be on read.

I think I'll get some Raiden and Mileena pros to speak up on this match-up for you, maybe they'll have better advice.

Jer
Pig Of The Hut
B W1zZ
Perfect Legend
Chaosphere

B W1zZ

Noob
Mileena can interrupt Raiden's strings with D4, believe it or not. However I've only seen 1 person do this and he isn't a Mileena main.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
As you have said, Raiden can easily escape Mileena's offense with his teleport. He can also teleport or dash forward on reaction when he notices Mileena going into the animation for her teleport kick, or do a superman. Zoning him with instant-air sais is pretty pointless as well.

NEVER go for a jump-in. The Raiden player who knows anti-airs will score a s1 - Vicinity Blast followed by a full combo for around 30% potential damage. Jumpkicks would be wise, but they lose to his armored EX Electric Grab which also nets him a combo.

Honestly...I don't see this match-up being even. I can see how Raiden effectively shuts down so many of Mileena's options, from far away and up-close. The best I could tell you to do, as Mileena, is try to check him with d4, and maybe punish a teleport you read with her Ball Roll. Remember, Raiden's teleport almost can't be punished on reaction...it has to be on read.

I think I'll get some Raiden and Mileena pros to speak up on this match-up for you, maybe they'll have better advice.

Jer
Pig Of The Hut
B W1zZ
Perfect Legend
Chaosphere
The only time I've ever lost to Mileena is if they can consistently punish teleport with roll and they just HAPPEN to teleport kick every time I go to push a button but that's just me being impatient. Other than that, I stay as far away as possible and try to get her to commit to teleport kick, roll, and sais and punish accordingly. I think it's a 6-4 in Raiden's favor. Her pressure is easy to get out of. Maybe I haven't played the toppiest (lol) of top mileenas but my whole strategy is to run away and get her to do special moves. Mileena can roll to get in, but even then her pressure can be teleported out of, poked out of, and armored through. Her best bet is to get in with d4 and mix that shit up and hope you guess correctly.

Also, as far as punishing teleport kick, just block and 1~vb combo instead of teleporting. You can go for the dash to full combo punish, but requires better execution. Whichever you're more comfortable doing to get guaranteed damage.

Dizz_88

Noob
thanks blake, bwizz.. i agree with you guys in the mu being 6-4. does anybody know where i can find this pig video of how to play the raiden mu?

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
I love this MU with Mileena lol.

I don't really know the MU number for it, but idc either.

I usually just get the life lead and then back off. He can't zone, especially when he's down on life because he has to fear the tele or roll. I almost never use the U4 42 frame trap on him since he can just tele out of it. If I know he's gonna teleport, I just grab him, since invulnerable attacks are beaten by it.

Mileena can punish the tele with roll, so be aware of that.

She can roll his pressure, mainly 334. Punish him for every mistake he does too. She doesn't punish too hard, but it'll make the opponent respect you more.

MaryHuges

Manipulating People
This is one my Fav MU with Mileena first would have to be Lao vs Mileena most Raiden Tele out of mileena u4 so I always mix up pressure with u4 d4+sai, u4 grab or u4 fd4 so it will reversed roll if he tele if he don't ill just keep doing fd4 tell he jumps then mess him up. If he far away let him come to you if he try to zone tele if he tele i don't roll cus imo its hard to punish reaction I just D4+sai for knock down or for more meter imo this is a 5-5 MU

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
if the mileena player can punish tele with roll 100% of the time then its a 5-5 but lets be honest since we're not machines thats not really going to happen.
radien takes away both mileena's zoning and frametraps,without meter.
has better damage output, far better corner game (not that mileena has a anyway decent corner game anyway)
it is possible to roll 334 and b312 but id love to see anyone do that 5 times in a row in a real match,fuck it,even twice in a real match.
d4ing his strings do stop him getting extra meter/chip but +frames against radien dont mean dick,d4 hits,now what? you still have to play a guessing game of tele or not tele.

mu numbers are about tools vs tools and how each char limits the others and while both chars can struggle getting a life lead back, radien limits WAY more of mileenas game than vice-versa

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
I play a decent Raiden but I will say some of the things that give me a tough time are U4 grab. Mileenas should grab as much as possible since it will open up your offense. ias works well if its low enough. Superman has terrible priority so ias is good for baits. Just dont try to zone. ias is bait purposes only and shouldnt be abused. Things I capitalize on are any telekick or ex telekick gets punished for roughly 30%. Sais from bad ranges get ex superman'd. d4 from bad ranges get stuffed by B3 and F2(needs more work). If Mileena punishes teleport with rolls ex teleport works well.

1man3letters

I play a decent Raiden but I will say some of the things that give me a tough time are U4 grab. Mileenas should grab as much as possible since it will open up your offense. ias works well if its low enough. Superman has terrible priority so ias is good for baits. Just dont try to zone. ias is bait purposes only and shouldnt be abused. Things I capitalize on are any telekick or ex telekick gets punished for roughly 30%. Sais from bad ranges get ex superman'd. d4 from bad ranges get stuffed by B3 and F2(needs more work). If Mileena punishes teleport with rolls ex teleport works well.
only thing about that is grab is a full combo punish if you read it after u4 so its not all roses with that.
also that u mention f2, f2 will hit mileena's roll and snuff it most of the time (so much for specials beating normals if they activate on same frame)

BigMilk

only thing about that is grab is a full combo punish if you read it after u4 so its not all roses with that.
also that u mention f2, f2 will hit mileena's roll and snuff it most of the time (so much for specials beating normals if they activate on same frame)
I noticed that and almost always pressure wakeups in corner because of it. And yes grab is full combo punished on read. On the same note it makes Raiden respect the frametrap(which is why it gives me a tough time)

1man3letters

I noticed that and almost always pressure wakeups in corner because of it. And yes grab is full combo punished on read. On the same note it makes Raiden respect the frametrap(which is why it gives me a tough time)
yea i get what your saying but mileena is a risky/unsafe char as it is without me taking more risks lol but i do get your point
yea indeed f2~tele or f2~ex shocker can fuck up alot wakeups

BigMilk

1man3letters so what do you prefer after landing an U4? Most of her options get punished anyway. Even if you D4 and I teleport I can F24 it unless you option select your D4.

1man3letters

1man3letters so what do you prefer after landing an U4? Most of her options get punished anyway. Even if you D4 and I teleport I can F24 it unless you option select your D4.
u4 on block you mean?
i think you only get a blockstring of f24 rather than a punish if im correct?
the whole option select roll is over rated imo, alot of the time it doesnt work depending on when radien teles

BigMilk

You are correct mostly read/ reaction determines whether or not F24 connects. On read it will but reaction most likely it will be blocked.