What's new

Mileena vs. Defensive Players

Nightwoe

Smoke's True Lover
What is the best way playing as Mileena to take down an excessively defensive player? I've seen people d3 and d4 and try to bait them to guard low then punish with u4, I've seen b4 into ball roll...is there any other strategy?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Throw, throw, throw and pressure with 4,2 and 2,3,4.

See how good they are at reacting to the b+3/u+4 mixup. If they see u+4 easily then you could use EX Roll as a risky but launching overhead to mixup with b+3.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Footsie your way in with D4. Lots of throws, defensive players don't like letting go of block under pressure. Don't jump against good players on decent connections, you'll get AAd and kombo'd.

Don't panic tele, the defensive player loves to punish you. Don't get predictable, you'll get blown up if you always D4~throw for example.

The biggest thing is to try and beat them in footsies, try to get them to whiff something. Say I'm Smoke, and I'm hanging back on the life lead. You have noticed I like to walk back and B2 into kombo when you try to move in. Come up just inside B2 range, then walk back. If you see me whiff the B2, dash in and kombo me at best, pressure at worst. Anything you can do to make them hesitate to footsie, gives you an opportunity to footsie yourself and get in. A good tool is also to walk back and forth just outside of jump range, spastically as possible.

The bane of the defensive player is when you have the life lead and you hang back; If you have the life lead SAVOR IT. Make them come to you, and try to use their own tactics against them.

I say this as a defensive player. Any MU in particular you are talking about? Mileeena vs Smoke, Sub Zero, Kenshi...?

redeyes

Button Masher
get life lead IAS all day.

Throw, throw, throw and pressure with 4,2 and 2,3,4.

See how good they are at reacting to the b+3/u+4 mixup. If they see u+4 easily then you could use EX Roll as a risky but launching overhead to mixup with b+3.
off topic 16bit we gotta play some more games soon! i gotta try my smoke out on you.

redeyes

Button Masher
Depends on who you are fighting.
well Mileena vs smoke no duh you wont do that but why pick mil vs smoke? thats asking to be fucked up. if they have a tele ex: raiden lao or rain. you can normally bait it with all the IAS and punish the tele with a roll

Death

Noob
Lots of throws. Try and get 3-4 throws a round. Dont even mess up with block strings. If your fighting a character with slow normals and shitty armor use U+4 but you mainly want to use 234~ex ground sai and hitconfirm into roll if 23 hits. But throws. Throw alot like 3-4 times a round/7-8 times a game.

Also deep jump kick~sai works good too. If they block it Mileena is at ADV and gets ANOTHER free grab and if they dont block you get a free 30% jump kick~sai combo.

Nightwoe

Smoke's True Lover
Drop Mileena now

Abandon ship abandon ship
I don't think I possibly can drop Mileena. I enjoy playing her too much. I love her play style...up until she doesn't have an effective low-high or high-low mix-up.

So I suppose it's down to...Only play noobs with Mileena and use another character for serious matches, or learn some new tricks

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Against turtle opponents, use Mileena for Grab opportunities especially against blockers. Mileena's special moves are so risky for heavy punishment and her normals up close are so slow, D3 is her fastest, forget her D1 even exists. If Mileena didn't have that famous D4 poke in the game, she would be really bad, it's like her only tool for offense and defense spacing. D3 is really good but inputs keep making her Teleport Kick or F3.. it's annoying. If your opponent loves to jump, throw projectiles or cross over a lot then Mileena can use her special moves, if they stay grounded like Cage or Sonya she's in trouble... D4 and instant Air Sais will only take her so far but if you get Ermac the air is completely off limits for her. Everyone knows how to fight Mileena now =-|

jip, 2,3, Grab
jip, 1,1, Grab
jip, 4,2, Grab
^ if blocked

1,1,2, Grab
F3, Grab
D3, Grab
D4, Grab
^ if you hit them

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Idk how anyone gets telekick with d3 at all. I can rushdown using only d3 like dash xx d3 dash xx d3 and never get telekick so this really isn't a problem.

If someone is defensive, get a life lead and sit back and let them come to you. If you don't know how to rush down, you honestly shouldn't be playing this character at all. Turtling with her will get you nowhere unless you have a life lead or are playing against a sub zero.

You really need to poke, a lot. Seriously, poking is 90% of her game, you wanna train people to eat d3's so you can get in some u4's or b3 xx ex roll.

I find as though you need to be able to stay in there face, d3 dash 2 dash d3 dash 42 dash etc, this will allow you to get in u4's and whatever you wanna do.

I know I just veered off topic from defensive on rushing down, but I just though that it needed to be said.

Oh blocked 42 into IAS is good as well, so is using IAS as an AA when you're closeish and know they're going to jump

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Nightwoe Seriously, if you have any questions regarding anything. Just ask and I will do my best so answer them as thoroughly as possible

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Idk how anyone gets telekick with d3 at all. I can rushdown using only d3 like dash xx d3 dash xx d3 and never get telekick so this really isn't a problem.

Oh blocked 42 into IAS is good as well, so is using IAS as an AA when you're closeish and know they're going to jump
yea i talked to you about the dash d3 thing before,well pisses me off,same with dash f3, dont mind backdash d4 so much.

i fucking facepalm when i read i jump and the air sai's miss cause of there shitty hitbox

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
yea i talked to you about the dash d3 thing before,well pisses me off,same with dash f3, dont mind backdash d4 so much.

i fucking facepalm when i read i jump and the air sai's miss cause of there shitty hitbox
Yeah, mainly I think it's because of the range that you're trying to IAS.

If you're too close it won't AA, but I can get it a lot vs Ermac who has a weird jumping hitbox

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Yeah, mainly I think it's because of the range that you're trying to IAS.

If you're too close it won't AA, but I can get it a lot vs Ermac who has a weird jumping hitbox
ah i see,cool thanks

what do u think of her d2 in general?
(am i remembering right or being crazy something was done to the recovery frames in one off the patches, i used to find d2 to roll easier to do :confused: )