What's new

Mileena Matchup Discussion

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
Thought I'd just make one of these to separate MU stuff from the general discussion thread...

1man3letters

A mileena souls asked for her return, but not many want to discuss matchups it's seems :/

From my point of few at this moment.
Cetrion potential worse, maybe followed by fujin.
Heard talk of shang being rough but only played a few.

See it mentioned in the general discussion thread chars with long ass range like jade and kotal giving issues aswell

Obviously I've still alof mu's left to grind out

Another weird my thing is mileena can roll under robocops low shot, can't roll under a high ice ball everytime but can a mid, ok lol

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
A mileena souls asked for her return, but not many want to discuss matchups it's seems :/

From my point of few at this moment.
Cetrion potential worse, maybe followed by fujin.
Heard talk of shang being rough but only played a few.

See it mentioned in the general discussion thread chars with long ass range like jade and kotal giving issues aswell

Obviously I've still alof mu's left to grind out

Another weird my thing is mileena can roll under robocops low shot, can't roll under a high ice ball everytime but can a mid, ok lol

Jade seems like a minor 4-6, I think Mileena's movement really carries the day. Forward 1 can also punish stuff from Jade that most of the cast cannot even hope to punish. So while I think Jade realistically wins, I definitely wouldn't say it's anything notable.

Why is Cetrion potentially the worst? Mileena seems like she'd do fine versus her honestly.

Jax and Kitana feel 5-5.

Jax because of similar range, damage and things of that nature. I really got a lot of enjoyment out of playing this match up, I wish more Jax and Mileena players existed, I'd love to grind it out more.c

Kitana/Mileena just feels like it can be super zoning and counter zoning heavy/frenetic especially versus the Kitana build with low fan and half blood stance, feels comfortable but you definitely have to play super oncom point.

Sheeva seems pretty undaunting too from my observations....I think Mileena would be my go to for dealing with any Sheeva shenanigans.

I've just been using air tele drop, strings and rolling thunder....probably a dumb or controversial opinion but I don't much feel like she's really intended to be played that way....I could be wrong but I like her safe blockstrings and zoning.

I need to see more match ups to assess her. I know most people don't have much faith in her, but I really like her at the moment.

1man3letters

Jade seems like a minor 4-6, I think Mileena's movement really carries the day. Forward 1 can also punish stuff from Jade that most of the cast cannot even hope to punish. So while I think Jade realistically wins, I definitely wouldn't say it's anything notable.

Why is Cetrion potentially the worst? Mileena seems like she'd do fine versus her honestly.

Jax and Kitana feel 5-5.

Jax because of similar range, damage and things of that nature. I really got a lot of enjoyment out of playing this match up, I wish more Jax and Mileena players existed, I'd love to grind it out more.c

Kitana/Mileena just feels like it can be super zoning and counter zoning heavy/frenetic especially versus the Kitana build with low fan and half blood stance, feels comfortable but you definitely have to play super oncom point.

Sheeva seems pretty undaunting too from my observations....I think Mileena would be my go to for dealing with any Sheeva shenanigans.

I've just been using air tele drop, strings and rolling thunder....probably a dumb or controversial opinion but I don't much feel like she's really intended to be played that way....I could be wrong but I like her safe blockstrings and zoning.

I need to see more match ups to assess her. I know most people don't have much faith in her, but I really like her at the moment.
Cetrions space control mostly.
Low sai not very good in the mu really cause her airborn specials shut that down handy enough which fine but both geyser and wind/earthquake, whichever cetrion going with gives trouble.

Same reasons why I think she's loses to cetrion pretty much carry onto fujin as well.
Cetrion and few diff of fujin tools really good at dealing with straight sai while having very strong buttons Vs mileenas on top of that

I think she does well Vs erron black on side note

Ahhh I dunno if I'd play without stabystotch myself, tried and missed the move, but each to there own, could see just not having it and just sticking to the d2 f124 combos and f43 1+3 off thunder roll. just love the armor break of it. Be nice if could be used after mb roll to stop breakaways

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Cetrions space control mostly.
Low sai not very good in the mu really cause her airborn specials shut that down handy enough which fine but both geyser and wind/earthquake, whichever cetrion going with gives trouble.

Same reasons why I think she's loses to cetrion pretty much carry onto fujin as well.
Cetrion and few diff of fujin tools really good at dealing with straight sai while having very strong buttons Vs mileenas on top of that

I think she does well Vs erron black on side note

Ahhh I dunno if I'd play without stabystotch myself, tried and missed the move, but each to there own, could see just not having it and just sticking to the d2 f124 combos and f43 1+3 off thunder roll. just love the armor break of it. Be nice if could be used after mb roll to stop breakaways

Why use Low sai versus Cetrion at all or really most characters with an air presence? Straight sai is still easily one of her best specials free, interrupts lots of slower zoning and it's even better because it doesn't require a slot to have freeing you up for your other specials. Characters who can alter their jump arcs have never had to care about low projectiles. I actually being honest can't think of any match ups where low sai might be better than it....the mix up isn't worth it at all and it's very susceptible to the aforementioned things and other things.

Fujin doesn't care about zoning from really anyone so that makes sense, he can alter his movement too much, but I need to play it more before I speak on it anymore than that.

Why does she do well against Erron? He has all the pushback options and anti-zoning among good pokes to space her out. If characters with good spacing and neutral/anti-zoning give her problems, I just don't see how Erron wouldn't. Skud shot and low peacemaker or rifle special seem like they'd really frustrate her zoning and up close shenanigans.

It's obviously everyone's opinion but I just don't see how it compliments her character synergy overall. I feel like everyone isn't intended to be a grappler to be played effectively, obviously I am not saying it's bad it just doesn't compliment her character synergy. I feel like it's more people aren't impressed by her other customs so they just default to "Playtime strings" and stabbyscotch. The armor break is good of course though.

1man3letters

Why use Low sai versus Cetrion at all or really most characters with an air presence? Straight sai is still easily one of her best specials free, interrupts lots of slower zoning and it's even better because it doesn't require a slot to have freeing you up for your other specials. Characters who can alter their jump arcs have never had to care about low projectiles. I actually being honest can't think of any match ups where low sai might be better than it....the mix up isn't worth it at all and it's very susceptible to the aforementioned things and other things.

Fujin doesn't care about zoning from really anyone so that makes sense, he can alter his movement too much, but I need to play it more before I speak on it anymore than that.

Why does she do well against Erron? He has all the pushback options and anti-zoning among good pokes to space her out. If characters with good spacing and neutral/anti-zoning give her problems, I just don't see how Erron wouldn't. Skud shot and low peacemaker or rifle special seem like they'd really frustrate her zoning and up close shenanigans.

It's obviously everyone's opinion but I just don't see how it compliments her character synergy overall. I feel like everyone isn't intended to be a grappler to be played effectively, obviously I am not saying it's bad it just doesn't compliment her character synergy. I feel like it's more people aren't impressed by her other customs so they just default to "Playtime strings" and stabbyscotch. The armor break is good of course though.
Huh? I said low sai isn't good Vs cetrion. You replied like I said I prefer it over straight sai?
I like low sai Vs characters with low projectiles otherwise I'll go straight sai.

Scud shot/mb Vs the mutlt hitting straight sai does decent, the low rifle does more for him that scud does Vs her I think.
Her pokes compete with his grand, especially d3.
Not saying she steamrolls him like just saying she can fight him well I feel

EDIT: on the no command grab thing, I was trying out a variation with, low+air sai and playtime.

I wish air sai did 7 instead 5.8, it's weird it's not 6 even lol

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Huh? I said low sai isn't good Vs cetrion. You replied like I said I prefer it over straight sai?
I like low sai Vs characters with low projectiles otherwise I'll go straight sai.

Scud shot/mb Vs the mutlt hitting straight sai does decent, the low rifle does more for him that scud does Vs her I think.
Her pokes compete with his grand, especially d3.
Not saying she steamrolls him like just saying she can fight him well I feel

EDIT: on the no command grab thing, I was trying out a variation with, low+air sai and playtime.

I wish air sai did 7 instead 5.8, it's weird it's not 6 even lol
Right my point was that it shouldn't really be a match up determination because it is the suboptimal way to play the match up. I clearly agree with you, but low sai shouldn't be a reason for losing because she has a far better option to use versus Cetrion. I am agreeing with that, but also stating that contextually it would never make sense to factor it into match ups when it's not the way you'd fight Cetrion with Mileena.

To explain in a more clear way, it would be like if I was running Cetrion versus Baraka and don't have teleport equipped and go "well it's harder to get out when cornered". Obviously that would be true for that build, but that would be me playing the match up suboptimally as opposed to it changing the match up.

Erron can just hold skud shot and destroy those other projectiles and then amp it at the end to punish. I'm sure it does fine if the Erron over commits to skud shot, but that requires Erron to be sloppy more so than an advantage for Mileena. It sounds like that's probably 5-5 as opposed to in anyone's favor based on your description and mine.

I wish I had more time to play match ups out.

Air sai should definitely do a flat 6 or even 7 since combo options aren't really there to make up for the damage disparity.

Low sai would be awesome if you could pair it with straight sai like Kitana and other characters can.....now that with air sai, low sai, and playtme would be a dope zoning variation.

1man3letters

Right my point was that it shouldn't really be a match up determination because it is the suboptimal way to play the match up. I clearly agree with you, but low sai shouldn't be a reason for losing because she has a far better option to use versus Cetrion. I am agreeing with that, but also stating that contextually it would never make sense to factor it into match ups when it's not the way you'd fight Cetrion with Mileena.

To explain in a more clear way, it would be like if I was running Cetrion versus Baraka and don't have teleport equipped and go "well it's harder to get out when cornered". Obviously that would be true for that build, but that would be me playing the match up suboptimally as opposed to it changing the match up.

Erron can just hold skud shot and destroy those other projectiles and then amp it at the end to punish. I'm sure it does fine if the Erron over commits to skud shot, but that requires Erron to be sloppy more so than an advantage for Mileena. It sounds like that's probably 5-5 as opposed to in anyone's favor based on your description and mine.

I wish I had more time to play match ups out.

Air sai should definitely do a flat 6 or even 7 since combo options aren't really there to make up for the damage disparity.

Low sai would be awesome if you could pair it with straight sai like Kitana and other characters can.....now that with air sai, low sai, and playtme would be a dope zoning variation.
I said reason why I think she loses man. Space control
Just mentioned in passing that low sai isn't good against her like Vs certain other characters, asked in reply to your other message why you picked up on low sai and why I said it/who use it against.
obviously if it's not good against her and wouldn't pick it vs her would you think I'd consider that's why she loses when I said the reason in space control.
calm yourself haha no need to be more clear, maybe I should of been cause dunno how you got on that path of waffle there

Vs erron prob is even yea, like I said she fight him well. I dunno why applying sloppy erron to mu stuff but if you do the timing to eat straight sai and punish it ex sai will trade more often than not so there alot of variables to that tbf. Her movement Vs him really nice as well

Ah man, straight and low sai together would be awesome alright, can only hope but I don't think it will happen sadly

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Low sai is ass in this game since it replaces the straight ones, sai slide is the only tool you need to make up for her lack of range, you get to keep the straight ones, plus it punishes mashers and it's hilarious. Variations for Mileena is non-existent because her moves are poorly balanced and now that they dropped the game it's gonna be the thing that keeps her from being actually decent. I still think she's strong though, if you use sai slide, command grab and extended strings. But, like every other char in this game, it gets boring very fast.

On paper ball roll SHOULD be good but it's inconsistent hitbox is an issue and tele kick is hella slow. You have options but it's a 50/50 everytime lmao. Which is why straight sai and sai slide are so good to try and beat zonners are their own game and are a must if you're having issues against them.

She struggles against Cassie, Sub, Kano and anyone that has better buttons and range than her up close imo.

Ace255

Noob
Low sai is ass in this game since it replaces the straight ones, sai slide is the only tool you need to make up for her lack of range, you get to keep the straight ones, plus it punishes mashers and it's hilarious. Variations for Mileena is non-existent because her moves are poorly balanced and now that they dropped the game it's gonna be the thing that keeps her from being actually decent. I still think she's strong though, if you use sai slide, command grab and extended strings. But, like every other char in this game, it gets boring very fast.

On paper ball roll SHOULD be good but it's inconsistent hitbox is an issue and tele kick is hella slow. You have options but it's a 50/50 everytime lmao. Which is why straight sai and sai slide are so good to try and beat zonners are their own game and are a must if you're having issues against them.

She struggles against Cassie, Sub, Kano and anyone that has better buttons and range than her up close imo.
I agree that sai slide is a good custom move and that overall low sai isn't worth it lol. For character matchups yes Cassie is one of her worst. Characters with better up close buttons or who outspace her give Mileena trouble. Nightwolf, Johnny Cage, Kollector, Sonya, and Kotal I would say are even matchups for her. For Nightwolf she will always beat reflector with regular sais since it hits multiple times. Bc Kollector doesn't have great movement and her buttons are faster than his i think she can contest him. With Kotal I also believe her tools can contest him for the most part, her movement and sais are what really help her in some of these matchups imo. Her D3 can contest Johnny Cage backdash cuz of its good range. I think she might actually beat Robocop and Sheeva. Robocop bc she has a base kit teleport and her buttons up close are probably better than his base kit buttons.

Ace255

Noob
This is what I believe her matchups to be from my experience. I'm not high level though I'd say I'm above average. The only thing I'd change is that I would say she probably does beat Robocop and Sheeva. Scorp and Sub Zero's buttons just beat hers in general. Scorp can give her trouble up close and further away cuz of teleport and spear. Bc she lacks range she can end up chasing Scorp and he can easily whiff punish her it is sort of the same for Sub. Noob is one of her worst his damage and range outdoes her and Skarlet can outspace Mileena heavily especially with Boiling Point Mileena can barely contest her if she ends up chasing Skarlet.

Attachments

I've actually started toying with Sai Slide, and I'm liking it. The Krushing Blow though, I've had Kounters and Punishes and it didn't trigger.

Will it only trigger if the Amplified hit hits alone? And I'm assuming there's no follow up with it? You get your 160 damage and that's it?

Ace255

Noob
I've actually started toying with Sai Slide, and I'm liking it. The Krushing Blow though, I've had Kounters and Punishes and it didn't trigger.

Will it only trigger if the Amplified hit hits alone? And I'm assuming there's no follow up with it? You get your 160 damage and that's it?
As far as I know the KB only comes out on kounter.

Afk Skinny

3D Krusader

Only triggers on the 2nd hit, which is really stupid. If they're close enough you can combo off it (iirc you can roll, or go for a f4 for more damage but it's tighter).

Ace255

Noob
Do y'all think Kahnum Dash is ever useful/viable? Lol. A kitana player beat me as Mileena once with it and I've beat a Kitana with kahnum dash whereas I usually lose to her otherwise. I wonder if it is good in certain matchups. It is good for mix but that's about it really. The damage is not good but u can side switch with it and keep the damage unbreakable.

Do y'all think Kahnum Dash is ever useful/viable? Lol. A kitana player beat me as Mileena once with it and I've beat a Kitana with kahnum dash whereas I usually lose to her otherwise. I wonder if it is good in certain matchups. It is good for mix but that's about it really. The damage is not good but u can side switch with it and keep the damage unbreakable.
I suspect it has it's uses, but it is vastly overshadowed by Ball Roll and Rolling Thunder.

I think her best Kustom Move is Stabbyscotch, followed by Play Time, and then player's choice on Rolling Thunder, Sai Slide, or Air Soaring Sai.