What's new

Guide Mileena is part Skunk! (Advanced Mileena Guide)

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Hm, I'm gonna try that. Can you then follow with another U4, 42 for maximum dammitability on their part? Can you follow it up with anything at all?

If 42 hits, you can cancel into teleport sai into combo.

If it's blocked you can D1, or go into another 42.

You could U4 I guess, but not 100% safe.

Listen to this, just found out something about Mileena's throws. There would be times in matches where I'd do a back throw and followup with a roll while they're getting up to set up another throw, low poke, or bait a wakeup. This only worked with the back throw though, and I didn't know why. So I went into training mode and did both throws and mashed 1,1. What I found was that there's a bit more recovery time after her forward throw hits than her back throw. after back throw, 1,1 came out immediately after she lands. But after forward throw it came out like half-second later. This explained why my roll followup wouldn't come out, since I was doing it before she completely recovered.

Don't know if that would affect anything in anyone's game but it was interesting to point out.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
That 42 stuff sounds interesting enough to try out. It seems pretty good in training mode.
Worth putting in the guide if it's actually useful.

Zero, what I mean about jump punches being easy for Mileena to deal with is that she can avoid them well on reaction, either with D+4~:enball or instant jump kick~telekick.
Also, the stuff about blocked air sai into crossover won't work because the opponent has enough time to instant jump kick out and counter you.

BTW has anyone found a real use for :enSai's?? They just seem so terrible...the opponent can even block the second hit if you're too far away.

Zero, what I mean about jump punches being easy for Mileena to deal with is that she can avoid them well on reaction, either with D+4~:enball or instant jump kick~telekick.
Also, the stuff about blocked air sai into crossover won't work because the opponent has enough time to instant jump kick out and counter you.

BTW has anyone found a real use for :enSai's?? They just seem so terrible...the opponent can even block the second hit if you're too far away.
I know I can't react fast enough to do instant jumpkicks after seeing someone attempt to jump over me, but D+4 is decent. Not that the jumpkick thing doesn't work, it does, but I have to be expecting a crossover to use it. My definition of reaction in this case is without anticipation. If I anticipate a jump in or crossover, I can do whatever I want to counter it (Air Sai, telekick, njP, air-to-air punch~roll, etc.)

The reason why the air sai into crossover can work at times is because you condition them to keep blocking. use the advantage after blocked low air sai to do more blockstrings, (2,3,4... 4,2... instant jumpkick/telekick etc) you'll know you did this correctly when you can get dash in throws after the blocked sai. Once they are blocking to avoid more pressure, then you can crossover freely and do it again. It's surely not to be abused, but I think it has it's place.

As for EX Sais... I use the EX air sai quite often for combos. It's way easier to land my roll followup if I use EX air sai to juggle them longer in the air. I only use EX ground sai on specific characters. I do it to chip them out, or if I'm expecting them to jump over my first sai they'll land on the second one. I think if you link it after a blockstring it also gives advantage, not 100% sure though. Sometimes when I do that, I do 4,2 right after or throw. The ground one isn't the best use of meter in most situations, but it's not completely useless in my opinion.

Just how safe is a blocked u+4, can the 4,2 be interupted by a d+1, or d+3?
I thought it was advantage on block. Some characters' D+1s might interrupt. (Maybe Kitana's??) but D+3/D=4 might be fast enough to stop that.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
That's a pretty good post Zero.
My friend and I are pretty good at instant jump kick on reaction though, especially if there's a repeated cross over attempt. It just feels like you have forever to do it.

That's a pretty good post Zero.
My friend and I are pretty good at instant jump kick on reaction though, especially if there's a repeated cross over attempt. It just feels like you have forever to do it.
You're absolutely right, it's almost like you're seeing the jump in slow motion. The highlighted part is what I'm referring to though. Reaction time in general is based on 50% "anticipation" and 50% "actual reactions". In the example you gave concerning repeated crossovers, shows that you were thinking, "this guy keeps jumping after this setup, next time he does I'm gonna counter with... (whatever you choose)" The reaction speed is greatly increased now because you're half predicting it. You make an educated guess in your mind, you wait juuust long enough to see the beginning of a predicted move, and your hands do the rest.

Actual reactions aren't as fast without this anticipation. If you weren't even considering a jumpover attempt, it's probably because you were thinking about another option that didn't come out. You can still react, but time window you have feels much smaller now after your mind does the "oh crap he did that!" thing. In this case D+4 is your best bet since it'll beat their attack or make it whiff. (unless they do a deep jumpkick... *screw you Smoke and Kitana*)

You see this sort of thing play out more often in 3D fighters though, since animations are much slower than most 2D ones. Ok, take Mileena's "mixup" with B+3/U+4 for instance. If you play someone with decent reactions, but doesn't know Mileena's setups, they might get tricked by U+4 even if they knew that it's overhead. If you try this against someone with amazing reactions, they probably won't ever get hit with this even though it surprised them. They just see it, go "oh... that's an overhead" and block it automatically.

Well, hopefully that made sense to you, heh. It's just something I've learned from playing in tournaments/competitive games for a while that I thought I'd try to explain.

Oh, and one other thing... You can get 26% off of anti-air ground sai with (AA ground Sai>telekick>air sai>roll>b1,4,telekick>air sai) I did this online once, but it's highly luck based.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Oh, and one other thing... You can get 26% off of anti-air ground sai with (AA ground Sai>telekick>air sai>roll>b1,4,telekick>air sai) I did this online once, but it's highly luck based.
Yeah, I considered not even listing the far AA ground sai combo because of how luck based it is. But it's still in the guide.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
I've just fallen in love with this thread, especially after getting a lot worse than usual because playing my friends with my mains lol.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
Thank you very much.
I worked hard on it.

I'll try to continue to update it as long as I play the game and updates are needed.

cyke_out

Noob
off of a jump in punch I use

u+4, u+4, b+1,4 4, roll, 4, neck bite 36%, if just using the overhead starter 33%

for a low starter

b+3, roll, u+4, b+1,4 neckbite/uppercut..whatever finisher you want

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Hi all, I'm back to using my original MK9 character Mileena. Gave up on her when my arcade stick broke down, but since then, I figured out you can still special cancel with her on PS3 gamepad. Eg. her staple special cancel set - teleport kick, sai, ball roll, that's been with her since MK2.

Now, on to my questions.

a) Say after the first ball roll, on a cornered opponent, does Mileena have any extra wall juggle combos, that can potentially add more damage. Doesn't seem to mention any in the guide.

That is, what's the juggle string to use, after an opponent is launched with the first roll, while they are touching the corner?

Thus far, I've just been using the midscreen combos, even when that "corner situation" presents itself.

b) Is there a certain air height or distance, in order to regularly land, teleport, air sai, roll? Sometimes I notice that the roll can't make it to the opponent before they drop to the ground. Just wondering if it was me not being quick enough on the input, or whether it was aerial height and distance dependent.

Thanks all.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Mileena players:
I played a good Mileena today who did this combo:

u4,u4,b14, 4, roll, 112, roll

Obviously i was on the ground. But from there, she would go into the mixup of u4 or b3 into combo. To me, it was rather impressive. It instantly reminded me of Scorpions Vortex.

Also worth noting, sometimes when shed do b3, it would interrupt my wakeup TKS. I just thought id share this with you.

Hi all, I'm back to using my original MK9 character Mileena. Gave up on her when my arcade stick broke down, but since then, I figured out you can still special cancel with her on PS3 gamepad. Eg. her staple special cancel set - teleport kick, sai, ball roll, that's been with her since MK2.

Now, on to my questions.

a) Say after the first ball roll, on a cornered opponent, does Mileena have any extra wall juggle combos, that can potentially add more damage. Doesn't seem to mention any in the guide.

That is, what's the juggle string to use, after an opponent is launched with the first roll, while they are touching the corner?

Thus far, I've just been using the midscreen combos, even when that "corner situation" presents itself.

b) Is there a certain air height or distance, in order to regularly land, teleport, air sai, roll? Sometimes I notice that the roll can't make it to the opponent before they drop to the ground. Just wondering if it was me not being quick enough on the input, or whether it was aerial height and distance dependent.

Thanks all.
You'd have to dash under the opponent in the air after roll puts you in the corner. Then you can do some juggle strings to keep them in the corner. (2,3,4...4,2... etc).

It should be in that guide, since I was the one who originally brought it to attention on the forums. Try looking in the wall combos(corner combos) section. I mention what to use after B3~Roll , but it should apply to roll starters as well.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Bought a Dazzle today, expect videos of my Mileena and I'll start working on getting videos of those combos

What's her fastest standing normal? Feels like it would be either 2 or 4 but I'm not sure. Essentially I'm wondering what her best fast punish is for moves like elbow dash.

I think her standing 1 is the fastest, but I always use roll/throw/D4 to "punish" elbow dashes. You can do 1,1,Roll to punish if you're really baiting it I believe.

Post patch you I'd imagine you can land standing 2 or 4. I'll still favor roll though.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Funkdoc: Josh the funkdoc?

On a related note, use d3, stuffs so much stuff