What's new

Midscreen Trait usage. 50/50s!?

After furiously labbing these swagtastic gems, I had to face that same issue. I found that you can and should delay sword dance MB in just about every situation.

@EMPEROR PRYCE after any 212 xx bird, we can ji2 for a cross up, right? Just to further the bag of tricks??
from reading the comments on this thread and a few other threads, and seeing the combos in other videos, it seems as though if someone wants robin to be useful, they have to be able to consistently land the b3 after mb db2, which i cannot do consistently AT ALL. its driving me crazy. i like playing with robin, i love his move set and the character overall, it just sucks knowing that i will always be playing this character sub par because i cant land this

Chimbz

I named my dick Grayson
from reading the comments on this thread and a few other threads, and seeing the combos in other videos, it seems as though if someone wants robin to be useful, they have to be able to consistently land the b3 after mb db2, which i cannot do consistently AT ALL. its driving me crazy. i like playing with robin, i love his move set and the character overall, it just sucks knowing that i will always be playing this character sub par because i cant land this
Try delaying the MB sword spin a bit, it helps with the timing for the b3. It took me a good amount of time to get the timing down, but I get it 95% of the time now.

Try delaying the MB sword spin a bit, it helps with the timing for the b3. It took me a good amount of time to get the timing down, but I get it 95% of the time now.
i tried doing this, but i only land it 25% to 50% of the time, no more. and this is in practice (obviously) so in a real online match, it wouldnt be worth it to even try

Chimbz

I named my dick Grayson
i tried doing this, but i only land it 25% to 50% of the time, no more. and this is in practice (obviously) so in a real online match, it wouldnt be worth it to even try
Yea I had trouble with that too. But trust me that practice will help. I lost a lot of matches because of that, but I eventually got the hang of it. I'm actually struggling with the MUs, Robin has such a hard time... I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with zoners and keep the pressure going. I'm feeling comfortable with the Oki, but it's a real struggle to get in and keep the pressure.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
IDK man. I've been having success vs high level competition with robin. Blue trait is decent for pressure b2 canceled into trait can't be punished so it's decent.

There's plenty better characters but he fits for me and I've been doing quite well. Just gotta find your niche bro.
I've seen a lot of top players getting hit by gimmicks. I've been beating tons of people too, but in longer sets, when they figure out what's going on and how they need to block, you can't open them up. I'm enjoying him too, but he needs some kind of adjustment to compete in the long run. Trust me, in a month (if he isn't buffed) you'll see what I mean.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Who really isn't honest in this game right now, though (at least as far as the tech we know)?

I feel like we have this old Injustice mentality where 90% of the top cast is broke. This is leading to lots of people downing their mains in their character forums. But the truth is.. Maybe there's a lot less outwardly broke stuff in INJ2 right now than there was in IGAU. And that as a result, many of these characters are actually fine just being "good" instead of "insanely dirty".

I feel like a lot of characters in INJ2 have at least one major weakness, and that was by design.
Robin's main flaw is that he needs to play footsies and whiff punish in a game where projectiles are very powerful and there's no need to throw out normals at ranges where his long range, but slow moves are useful. Here's a write up of the character I made earlier, just to give you an idea of where I think he struggles.

"If you look at the better robin players right now like Hayatei and Raptor, they're getting lucky with character unfamiliarity to get hits. From what I've seen, it's people reacting to birdarang after strings too late (full combo punshible) and mb sword dance after the first hit. There's a gap there that every character can punish with at least a d1, most full combo.

He's a spacing and whiff punishing character, but he's slow and can't really deal well with characters who have decent projectiles. Not to mention if he whiffs a string, he dies because his recovery is terrible. On block most of his strings are -5 at best and the ones that aren't leave him right in your face and are -3. His only option to disrespect at that point is d12 which is also -5. He can't get away with staggers of that either because sword dance comes out right after d12.

His main issue however, is his inability to open people up. His only mix up is f2 (18f) or sweep. The sweep is quite a bit faster and punishable. Realistically, you should never get hit by the overhead. If he ever lands a hit, he has some interesting 50/50 setups, but they're all avoided by delayed wake up (something I'm not seeing anyone do against Robin) and you're giving up damage to set that up.

And his trait seems kinda useless outside of those setups. The red is a low but doesn't lead to big damage and Robin has only one way to get trait out safely, which is b2 trait. At that point you can just jump back to avoid both the trait explosion and the overhead. So yeah... he's too honest."

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I've seen a lot of top players getting hit by gimmicks. I've been beating tons of people too, but in longer sets, when they figure out what's going on and how they need to block, you can't open them up. I'm enjoying him too, but he needs some kind of adjustment to compete in the long run. Trust me, in a month (if he isn't buffed) you'll see what I mean.
I'm not new to these games lol I plays the fighting games and have been for a looooong time. I fully understand where you're coming from but I don't see it. I play high level competition just like you do, and I don't need gimmicks to win, although I still lose as well, Fate gives me issues lol. They don't let me get away with b21 birdarang. They MB b3 db2 MB gap. Etc etc etc.

Robin is no Atrocitus or Black Adam or Deadshot, but he's definitely solid. Maybe you should try establishing a strong throw game and use the start up of his back walk speed to shimmy and bait throws. He's probably the best in the game at that. Using red trait in neutral as well as sweep gives reason for your opponent to block low.

Also, no characters have set ups right now that cover delayed wake up. Pretty much everyone's set ups get ruined by delayed wake up. Just it gets rid of the the possibility of waking up with invincibility and once you get a read on it you still your mix up. It's all about reading your opponent.

All in all I believe still in a month or two Robin will be a decent Mid tier character. His corner game is ridiculous and mid screen he really only loses to zoning. Anyone who has his range aside from a few exceptions he still has better tools on the neutral.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
I'm not new to these games lol I plays the fighting games and have been for a looooong time. I fully understand where you're coming from but I don't see it. I play high level competition just like you do, and I don't need gimmicks to win, although I still lose as well, Fate gives me issues lol. They don't let me get away with b21 birdarang. They MB b3 db2 MB gap. Etc etc etc.

Robin is no Atrocitus or Black Adam or Deadshot, but he's definitely solid. Maybe you should try establishing a strong throw game and use the start up of his back walk speed to shimmy and bait throws. He's probably the best in the game at that. Using red trait in neutral as well as sweep gives reason for your opponent to block low.

Also, no characters have set ups right now that cover delayed wake up. Pretty much everyone's set ups get ruined by delayed wake up. Just it gets rid of the the possibility of waking up with invincibility and once you get a read on it you still your mix up. It's all about reading your opponent.

All in all I believe still in a month or two Robin will be a decent Mid tier character. His corner game is ridiculous and mid screen he really only loses to zoning. Anyone who has his range aside from a few exceptions he still has better tools on the neutral.
I definitely agree on him being mid tier. I'm not saying he's garbage, but his playstyle just cannot compete with what is dominant in this game. The fact remains that he is one of the hardest characters to open people up with and doesn't have the luxury of throwing projectiles to chip to death. That gives him a huge disadvantage. I would honestly be totally fine with him if he just got a couple of tweaks to make him more viable. I would love to be able to have at least one string that can set up the trait and be neutral or plus. I don't want it to loop, but one string of extended pressure can do a lot to build meter and make it count when he lands a hit.

EMPEROR PRYCE

WAR SEASON "THE WEAK EXPOSED!"
I definitely agree on him being mid tier. I'm not saying he's garbage, but his playstyle just cannot compete with what is dominant in this game. The fact remains that he is one of the hardest characters to open people up with and doesn't have the luxury of throwing projectiles to chip to death. That gives him a huge disadvantage. I would honestly be totally fine with him if he just got a couple of tweaks to make him more viable. I would love to be able to have at least one string that can set up the trait and be neutral or plus. I don't want it to loop, but one string of extended pressure can do a lot to build meter and make it count when he lands a hit.

Yeah those aren't bad ideas actually. Really I just want mb swoop to work as intended, swoop not to whiff on crouching opponents, and an actual hit box on air db2.

rubmytaco

CarriedByClone
Yeah those aren't bad ideas actually. Really I just want mb swoop to work as intended, swoop not to whiff on crouching opponents, and an actual hit box on air db2.
Yes! Air db2 definitely needs something done to it. He should at least hit you before he actually lands. A mvc3 zero jump heavy type hitbox might be a bit much lol.