What's new

Midscreen ice grenade resets are a bill

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Unless I'm somehow just royally fucking these up that much, none of the so called mid screen resets with ice grenade appear to be real. Not only are they a gimmick, they're a gimmick that can be escaped with the exact same answer regardless.

The main one I'll reference, which is the MB db3 freeze, f4, iaj1f23bf1 into j1 crossup 122~db2, just doesn't work. You can mash backdash as soon as you block the j1 and get out of dodge. Set the training dummy to backdash. You cannot jail a crossup j1 into 122 or any other string in the game with or without the grenade.

I also tried Raptors same side reset, which is MB db3, f4, iaj121~db3, forward dash, 21~db2. Same thing applies. I also tried this with myself doing the reset via recording and I was able to panic mash backdash every single time. There is no mind game, Captain Cold can't bait the back dash to catch it, the opponent just gets out for free.

If I'm wrong, someone provide some insight here, but unfortunately it looks like this tech isn't tech at all midscreen.

Chernyy Volk

Raptor's reset will catch backdashes when timed well. The only way out is pushblock the moment you'd get frozen.
The crossup j1 resets are kinda gimmicky, yeah.
I tried the Raptor myself over and over. You can't catch back dashes with it. If you do it as tight as possible to jail (there is a guaranteed jail) it doesn't freeze. If you wait any longer the opponent just mashes backdash out for free.

Chernyy Volk

@Chernyy Volk

Would it be possible for you to post the video of you escaping this or do you have a YouTube channel that I can watch it at?
I don't have a YT channel myself no but you can easily test this yourself. Set the opponent to auto block and reversal backdash.

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
I see some colds do db3 mb f4 j1 3 df2 f2 db3 f23 db3. Not sure how true this is but a lot of people tell me that this jails on block. It's msot likely a gimmick and I thought I would post this so you guys can check as I don't play cold much.

The f2 db3 makes it a hard to blockable with the puddle and the Ice spike "I think"

Chernyy Volk

I see some colds do db3 mb f4 j1 3 df2 f2 db3 f23 db3. Not sure how true this is but a lot of people tell me that this jails on block. It's msot likely a gimmick and I thought I would post this so you guys can check as I don't play cold much.

The f2 db3 makes it a hard to blockable with the puddle and the Ice spike "I think"
I'll try this, seems interesting.

Chernyy Volk

I've so far found only one guaranteed refreeze in this entire game and it's this AND requires two bars unfortunately.

f23~db3 mb, f4, iaj1f23~bf1, 21~db2 mb. This is an actual 100% guaranteed they have to take the hit situation. It's bad for them either way.

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
I stand corrected, something must have gone wrong while labbing this.
In the lab I did find this:
If you hit an up close freeze (and I mean like really really close) you can do:
freeze, f4, dash up, nj1, 21xxlow puddle, dash, 213
the freeze is guaranteed but it's situational since you won't be hitting many point blank puddles

Chernyy Volk

the freeze is guaranteed but it's situational since you won't be hitting many point blank puddles
Any normals that produce a point blank puddle hit perhaps?

Chernyy Volk

I just tried this. The AI just backdashes the 213 on block and gets out.

InFlames

dead
You are mistiming Raptors reset if the AI is able to back dash. Either way I think 12 db3 is better. Less damage than 21 db3 I think but it's slower so it makes the freeze easier to jail.

213 works too but if they take the hit they won't get frozen.

Chernyy Volk

There might be a guaranteed strike/throw 50/50 here though?

f23~db3 mb, iaj121 into throw/b232~db2. If you have a second meter to blow and you hit confirm the b232, the gravity of the tip of the grenade allows you to do a db3 mb.

Chernyy Volk

You are mistiming Raptors reset if the AI is able to back dash. Either way I think 12 db3 is better. Less damage than 21 db3 I think but it's slower so it makes the freeze easier to jail.

213 works too but if they take the hit they won't get frozen.
no In Flames, I've got the dummy doing it at different timings and I'm able to mash backdash out of it every time.

Chernyy Volk

Yeah, the Raptor reset is definitely not real. I think I would've gotten it by now in 100+ tries.

Chernyy Volk

Ok InFlames, I was fucking up the tightness of it all. You're right, the Raptor reset does work but the margin of error is REALLY high. All the opponent has to do is mash backdash when they block the db2 and if it's not perfect they'll get out of it. This reset can also be completely gotten out of even when it's done perfectly by supers.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Ok InFlames, I was fucking up the tightness of it all. You're right, the Raptor reset does work but the margin of error is REALLY high. All the opponent has to do is mash backdash when they block the db2 and if it's not perfect they'll get out of it. This reset can also be completely gotten out of even when it's done perfectly by supers.
wheres the gap for the super? same spot?