What's new

Microsoft Interested In Buying Batman, Mortal Kombat Dev WB Games - Report

portent

Noob
Don't forget Smart Stream. Buy a game on the Xbox One or Xbox Series X, get the other version at no charge. Fantastic compatibility between their platforms.
I feel like that was covered in “you bought the game, you own it, you can play it on whatever Xbox system you own.”

To me, smart delivery is a good idea, but just a new industry buzz term for what steam has been doing for years. “You bought the game, you own the license, feel free to play it on windows 7, 8, 10, or on an Asus, hp, Alienware, home built, etc...”

I get that there will be technical differences between the X1X and the XSX versions, but wouldn’t that just be the difference between delivering the same game on a lower spec machine where you have to alter the shaders and textures to get it to run, and a high performance pc where it runs on ultra out of the box?

I get that there will be technical differences between the X1X and the XSX versions, but wouldn’t that just be the difference between delivering the same game on a lower spec machine where you have to alter the shaders and textures to get it to run, and a high performance pc where it runs on ultra out of the box?
From how I understand things, yes, but keep in mind in the console space, upgrades like that are traditionally centred around remasters that you need to purchase again. As far as I can tell, this is a new thing for the console space.

The way I see it, generally speaking, a game on Xbox One S would be on "low" settings, a game on Xbox One X on "medium," and a game on Xbox Series X on "ultra."

portent

Noob
From how I understand things, yes, but keep in mind in the console space, upgrades like that are traditionally centred around remasters that you need to purchase again. As far as I can tell, this is a new thing for the console space.

The way I see it, generally speaking, a game on Xbox One S would be on "low" settings, a game on Xbox One X on "medium," and a game on Xbox Series X on "ultra."
Right, that's what I mean. While it's new to the console world, it's not a new concept at all. I'm all in on the XSX, but I can call BS when I see it, and "Smart Delivery" is a buzz word for something that those of us who have been using Steam for ages are already accustomed to. We're all sitting here saying, "FINALLY!!!", but I think MS realizes that this is one of the ways they may be able to finally wrestle some of the dedicated PC players to the console side because it's the first time that any generation of console will allow legacy gaming the way PC has been doing for years.

Last edited:
One thing I completely forgot as well: The Outer Worlds. A fun, well received game from the creators of the company that created Fallout: Obsidian Entertainment. They're owned by Microsoft. The Outer Worlds released multiplatform.
Only because the publishing deal was in place before Microsoft bought them. Future Obsidian games are almost certain to be Xbox-only. Even for The Outer Worlds, all of the games performance enhancements were made exclusive to Xbox One X after the buyout.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
See, that's interesting because I'm more of a single player gamer. I primarily game on PC with an Xbox One X as a companion platform, and my favourite genres are (in no particular order): first person shooters, fighting games, role playing games, real time strategy.

Within the last year, I've been playing the following games:

• DOOM 3: BFG Edition (PC)
  • DOOM (2016) (PC and Xbox One X)
  • DOOM 64 (Xbox One X)
  • The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - Game of the Year Edition (PC)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition (PC)
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection (PC and Xbox One X)
  • Halo 5: Guardians (Xbox One X)
  • Killer Instinct (2013) (PC and Xbox One X)
  • Mortal Kombat XL (Xbox One X)
  • Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath (PC)
  • StarCraft: Remastered (PC)
  • StarCraft II (PC)
If you look at that strictly from a console standpoint, and remove the StarCraft titles as they're not on console, there's six games that are cross-platform and four that are only available on Xbox One. Of those cross platform games, five of them perform at higher resolutions and more consistent frame rates on Xbox One X over PlayStation 4 Pro.

If you look at the Sony exclusives everyone keeps going on about, none of them really fit my genre tastes. Of all of them, only Marvel's Spider-Man looks like a "must own" to me simply because I love the character, and I'm not buying a new platform for a single game. I have a passing interest in God of War and The Last of Us: Remastered, but that's pretty much it and again, not worth buying a new platform for me.

In terms of Real Time Strategy, as far as I'm aware, this is a genre that's not on Sony's platform at all, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Xbox One has the Halo Wars games, and while they're not StarCraft, they're good console-based RTSes.

Combine that with Xbox Play Anywhere, cross-save functionality for specific games between PC and Xbox One, shared Apps and resources between PC and Xbox One, for me at least, the Xbox One X is the better choice.
All excellent points. I had not even thought of the things that you mentioned. By the way, Spiderman is definitely worth your attention as is The Last of Us: Remastered. I'm hearing that Gears Tactics is a great RTS but I have not yet played it. I believe PS4 has some RTS games that are mostly from Japan. If you don't mind Anime characters and storylines that seem odd yet, fun to read through, they should be solid games. I played a few back in the day that I really liked. I have the Disgaea series to play through. Take a look at it on youtube to see if you can get into it.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I feel like that was covered in “you bought the game, you own it, you can play it on whatever Xbox system you own.”

To me, smart delivery is a good idea, but just a new industry buzz term for what steam has been doing for years. “You bought the game, you own the license, feel free to play it on windows 7, 8, 10, or on an Asus, hp, Alienware, home built, etc...”

What this does is effectively stop developers from continuing consumer unfriendly practices where they put a "remastered" game that you already own out on the next gen consoles and charge full or almost full price for it. You just get that for free now. Those "remasters" could include new content that was not previously available on the older consoles. So, similar to what you said, but with possible extras.

All excellent points. I had not even thought of the things that you mentioned. By the way, Spiderman is definitely worth your attention as is The Last of Us: Remastered. I'm hearing that Gears Tactics is a great RTS but I have not yet played it. I believe PS4 has some RTS games that are mostly from Japan. If you don't mind Anime characters and storylines that seem odd yet, fun to read through, they should be solid games. I played a few back in the day that I really liked. I have the Disgaea series to play through. Take a look at it on youtube to see if you can get into it.
Yeah, Marvel's Spider-Man looks fantastic! Not being able to play it and it alone is my only regret for not having a PlayStation 4, but again, I can't justify buying a whole other console for only that one game.

I haven't played Gears Tactics yet myself, but a buddy of mine is loving it (he's a big Gears fan to begin with).

Anything anime for me is an instant turn-off.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Yeah, Marvel's Spider-Man looks fantastic! Not being able to play it and it alone is my only regret for not having a PlayStation 4, but again, I can't justify buying a whole other console for only that one game.

I haven't played Gears Tactics yet myself, but a buddy of mine is loving it (he's a big Gears fan to begin with).

I can definitely understand that. Keep in mind that there are some other games that you may not have even considered that you can only find on the PS4. Take a look through the PSN store and see if there is something that catches your eye. It could justify a future purchase. The only thing that would worry me if I was a shopper looking to get a new PS4 would be what the future holds for PS5 and backwards compatibility. The Xbox Series X already has that in the bag so all my games are coming along for the ride there. I'm still not sure what their plans are for the PS4 to PS5 upgrade path.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

Except they frame capped the game at 30fps. I didn't even bother when I found that out. Can't handle a high action game running at 30fps, and I kind of hate paying people off for repeatedly making that call. It's barely tolerable for slower action titles like HZD. I have Horizon ZD, but didn't care about 4k support, and have just been waiting at this point for the PC version next month.

I think GOW and Nioh were just about the only games that actually were willing to let you use the PS4 Pro's extra juice for more frames. I hope we see more choice for looks vs performance with the next wave of consoles, but kind of doubt it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Xbox Series X does look amazing and if Batman was an exclusive I would buy one just for that. I will more than likely own both systems as always. I bought the PS4 with the Uncharted collection in anticipation for Uncharted 4 and had no regrets. Will honestly buy whichever one launches with better day one games.

Xbox Series X does look amazing and if Batman was an exclusive I would buy one just for that. I will more than likely own both systems as always. I bought the PS4 with the Uncharted collection in anticipation for Uncharted 4 and had no regrets. Will honestly buy whichever one launches with better day one games.
It will be interesting to see what games Microsoft shows off at their event on the 23rd. That'll be a big tell on how they're planning to start the generation off game-wise.

I can definitely understand that. Keep in mind that there are some other games that you may not have even considered that you can only find on the PS4. Take a look through the PSN store and see if there is something that catches your eye. It could justify a future purchase. The only thing that would worry me if I was a shopper looking to get a new PS4 would be what the future holds for PS5 and backwards compatibility. The Xbox Series X already has that in the bag so all my games are coming along for the ride there. I'm still not sure what their plans are for the PS4 to PS5 upgrade path.
That is indeed possible. I'll be holding right now regardless due to the pandemic. Wage cuts and all, I'm trying not to throw cash like that around just for fun.

@Gooberking I'd much prefer 60 FPS for a Spider-Man game, but a 30 FPS cap wouldn't kill me.