What's new

Microsoft Interested In Buying Batman, Mortal Kombat Dev WB Games - Report

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
Just saying I'd rather slam a brick into my balls repeatedly than buying an Xbox.
Quite possibly the weirdest thing I've read so far. You mean to tell me that buying a device to play video games is less enjoyable than having injured testicles? You do know that folks that never bought a Sony machine that wanted to play SFV in fact, did so to play the game. Why would this be any different if MS owns MK?

I'm so glad I'm not like this. I would miss out on so many experiences like so many uninformed gamers do. I'll game on any device. Allegiance to a console maker is just..... well, limiting. I'm not calling you out in particular because I've seen a lot of people doing and saying stuff like this. I used to say this kind of stuff when I was a teenager in the late 80's.

I used to be a Sega Genesis fan boy. I would show people what I thought were compelling reasons to hate Nintendo and NEC. Boy was I an idiot! I only did those things because I could only afford to have one console. I had to make myself feel better about my purchase somehow and becoming a fan boy did the trick. Again, I was a complete fool. That all changed the day I bought an SNES in 1992 after receiving some money as a gift from my grandfather. I was almost 18 at that time. All that trash talking I did about Nintendo had no real basis after playing their games. I vowed never to be that narrow minded ever again.

Last edited:

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
If MK became an Xbox exclusive then I'd be done with with the series.

I can't justify buying a whole console to play my favorite fighting game and besides, PS has some of my favorite franchises of all time.
I'm so glad I'm not like this anymore. I'll game on whatever plays my favorites. If that means getting a console or building a gaming rig, I'm there. I can understand your point, but if you have the means to buy one and the desire to play, why not just go for it?

Quite possibly the weirdest thing I've read so far. You mean to tell me that buying a device to play video games is less enjoyable than having injured testicles? You do know that folks that never bought a Sony machine that wanted to play SFV in fact, did so to play the game. Why would this be any different if MS owns MK?

I'm so glad I'm not like this. I would miss out on so many experiences like so many uninformed gamers do. I'll game on any device. Allegiance to a console maker is just..... well, limiting. I'm not calling you out in particular because I've seen a lot of people doing and saying stuff like this. I used to say this kind of stuff when I was a teenager in the late 80's.

I used to be a Sega Genesis fan boy. I would show people what I thought were compelling reasons hate Nintendo and NEC. Boy was I an idiot! I only did those things because I could only afford to have one console. I had to make myself feel better about my purchase somehow and becoming a fan boy did the trick. Again, I was a complete fool. That all changed the day I bought an SNES in 1992 after receiving some money as a gift from my grandfather. I was almost 18 at that time. All that trash talking I did about Nintendo had no real basis after playing their games. I vowed never to be that narrow minded ever again.
I don't miss out on anything by not buying an Xbox. My girlfriend has a PS4 and will get a PS5 so we got God of War, Spider-Man, Persona, Horizon, Nier, Bloodborne/Demon's Souls, Yakuza and whatnot covered and I own a Switch so Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario, Metroid and various RPGs are in the house as well.

What do I miss out on again by not buying an Xbox ever?

Mortal Kombat perhaps?

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
I don't miss out on anything by not buying an Xbox. My girlfriend has a PS4 and will get a PS5 so we got God of War, Spider-Man, Persona, Horizon, Nier, Bloodborne/Demon's Souls, Yakuza and whatnot covered and I own a Switch so Donkey Kong, Zelda, Mario, Metroid and various RPGs are in the house as well.

Mortal Kombat perhaps?
Well it seems you don't know what you don't know.

You listed the same games that many others do. They are all fantastic games. Some of those listed can be obtained on PC as well. Let me just put it this way: I have all of that, and more so I'm good to go. I'm not going to throw a list of games out to try and somehow validate myself.

If MK became a PS exclusive, let's just say you would not be opposed to that based on this response. It's all good man. I understand where you're coming from. I've been there.

I'm almost certain that if MK does go to MS, they will keep it multi-platform. I could be wrong, though.

Mortal Kombat perhaps?
That's completely subjective though, and one can easily say the same thing for the Xbox platform.

"I don't miss anyting by not buying a PlayStation 4 or Switch. I have an Xbox One and will be getting an Xbox Series X, so I got Halo, Killer Instinct, Gears of War, Forza, Dead Rising, etc.

What do I miss out on again by not buying a PlayStation 4 or Switch ever?

Street Fighter? Smash?"

It all depends on what one values. If you like what a specific platform has, then get that platform.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

I used to be a Sega Genesis fan boy. I would show people what I thought were compelling reasons hate Nintendo and NEC. Boy was I an idiot! I only did those things because I could only afford to have one console. I had to make myself feel better about my purchase somehow and becoming a fan boy did the trick. Again, I was a complete fool. That all changed the day I bought an SNES in 1992 after receiving some money as a gift from my grandfather. I was almost 18 at that time. All that trash talking I did about Nintendo had no real basis after playing their games. I vowed never to be that narrow minded ever again.
You might not be missing out, but to some degree you are willfully enabling a fairly consumer unfriendly practice so you can have that rounded experience.

I go all the way back to the 2600, and was very into having all the console stuff, had the magazines, and did all the reading to compare which version of what was better in what ways.

Back then there were very distinct technical differences between consoles. The tech was quickly evolving in very noticeable ways, and same gen consoles weren't really released in lockstep they way they have been. On several occasions a game would turn out totally different, and even be a completely different game entirely from one system to the next. Having more than one consoles really opened up doors that didn't exist on another console.

None of that exists today. There are good and bad versions of things, but they are differences generally imperceivable to audiences at large, and more often seen between console vs PC instead of console vs console. You don't have say 256 colors and good audio on SNES squaring off with 64 color pallets on Genesis for example. You don't have a more arcade perfect version of X-Men: COTA on Saturn because it had a RAM cart, but a library that generally fell short on other games sitting next to the original PlayStation.

Now you are more likely buying the stuff around the console itself. The UI experience, the community you are plugged into, some other perk like MS offering Console and PC versions, or free PSN games. Switches portability and all in one aspect that is great to just toss to your kids. That stuff. (obviously Switch is under powered and kind of running against the argument at large, but it has a strong outer console perk that fits here)

There is just not been a real compelling reason, from a technical standpoint, for consumers to be investing on more than one console in the last couple of gens. Any enticing consumers to do so, is purely at the company's favor to get some pie. All it really does is get someone to drop hundreds of dollars they could otherwise spend on something else to have one or two unique experiences, just because someone deliberately crafted a situation for no other reason than their own benefit.

In house games are probably something of an exception. KI really could only have ever existed as an MS exclusive since it was their idea, vs paying Capcom to not make an Xbox version of SFV.

I'm not against owning all the toys, but I'm also not going eagerly embrace console exclusives as some benign practice when there is rarely any meaningful justification for it that empowers me as a consumer.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
You might not be missing out, but to some degree you are willfully enabling a fairly consumer unfriendly practice so you can have that rounded experience.
I haven' taken the time to read all that you've wrote (maybe I should be for I respond, but...ehh...this is the internet :))

How would you suggest going about NOT supporting this practice? Literally every platform does this, and literally the only platform that has stated that this practice isn't ideal (Microsoft) is sort of being bullied into doing it as Sony leads the way on this, and the majority of consumers demand that they (MS) "get more exclusives".

I would love for there to be a "one console future" and for everything to be on everything, but SOOOO many people like the "console wars", and every generation there are a new crop of "warriors" ready to defend there preferred corporation over another.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I haven' taken the time to read all that you've wrote (maybe I should be for I respond, but...ehh...this is the internet :))

How would you suggest going about NOT supporting this practice? Literally every platform does this, and literally the only platform that has stated that this practice isn't ideal (Microsoft) is sort of being bullied into doing it as Sony leads the way on this, and the majority of consumers demand that they (MS) "get more exclusives".

I would love for there to be a "one console future" and for everything to be on everything, but SOOOO many people like the "console wars", and every generation there are a new crop of "warriors" ready to defend there preferred corporation over another.
I'm a long typer for sure.

I don't know that you do. In the end they are going to do it because that's just the thing they gotta do. Each person has to make the call about what they want and are willing to spend. It's still worth thinking about to what extent you are being lead around and your behavior guided before just jumping through any hoop just because it's sitting between you and something that looks cool.

We are always getting sold to, and sometimes it's just stuff we need and want and that's ok. Unless gaming is unique for some weird reason, I'm sure every industry you really play close attention to, you can see how it works its client base over. I sometimes I feel gamers (and geek culture members in general) are way too easily hyped up into spending money on stuff they actually don't know much about. There is a reason it's hard to find trailers that actually show what a game really looks like, and why preorders go up when the only thing you know about is the title. It's working. Probably because it's easier to sell someone on their own imagination of what something could be than a concrete reality. If gamers were a little more reserved about jumping into stuff with both feet then some of the more extreme practices might not get as much traction, but it is what it is I guess. At least most games are at least decent in the end these days and are consistently nice to look at.

There are counter sides like prefunding something so it actually can afford to be created at all, and it's stuff I'm willing to weigh situationally. I'm fairly selective about jumping into anything that might encourage patterns I don't want to see repeated, but I have paid for things if I thought there was enough more to the story that it made sense.

I think the closest I've come to buying a console because of a game is when I got the GOW limited edition PS4 Pro. I knew I wanted to get the Pro, but I also wanted it to come with a game that I would play. After the game came out, and it was living up to all expectations, it felt like a good time to pull the trigger on an already made decision.

IJ2 is the only game I've ever preordered (Sans young SNES years me when you had to lock down your SFII cart). I knew I was going to get IJ2 because I buy pretty much every fighter. We also had lots of pre-launch footage and NRS gamers getting their hands on it in a substantial way. In that case the usual, "not knowing what you are actually getting into" didn't apply, and I felt it was a reasonable thing to do.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I chose to back the Sega Saturn, so I lost at the console wars a long time ago.
I did too, but I kind of don't regret it. It was still in my dad's closet up until a couple years ago when he gave it to someone so they would have something to play.

That console was there for me on my 18th birthday when I was just chilling by myself with some VF2. I took it with me when I moved out and tried to build a different life. I even returned to it when my marriage was blowing up and I just wanted to sit and play my old games for a week in my old room like I was a teenager.

I was kind of peeved about it, but it was thoughtful and I imagine someone would have to be pretty broke to be grateful for a Sega Saturn.

Serious question to all those Xbox haters: What exactly is the problem you have with the Xbox?
The launch of the Xbox One. Surely you remember this? One of the worst launches in the history of consoles.

-the online checkin
-no used games
-kinect required (not included)

The ps4 was the first PlayStation product I've bought. Before that I was always getting an Xbox. But after that fiasco I lost trust in them and will avoid switching back. Now granted they reversed some of these things that made me switch, but I don't support what they did at launch which is why I'm sticking it out with PS. I'm definitely not the only one who switched current gen from Xbox.

And I'm also aware that PS could do the same type of thing. But they haven't so far.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah

Not about allegiance. People don't want to spend $4-500+ just to play MK. I bought an XB1 just to play Killer Instinct and I wish I hadn't

The launch of the Xbox One. Surely you remember this? One of the worst launches in the history of consoles.

-the online checkin
-no used games
-kinect required (not included)

The ps4 was the first PlayStation product I've bought. Before that I was always getting an Xbox. But after that fiasco I lost trust in them and will avoid switching back. Now granted they reversed some of these things that made me switch, but I don't support what they did at launch which is why I'm sticking it out with PS. I'm definitely not the only one who switched current gen from Xbox.

And I'm also aware that PS could do the same type of thing. But they haven't so far.
Ironically, the always online is common place today, and digital purchases in the console space are also now huge. They were actually ahead of their time with what they were doing, but the way they communicated it and dealt with their customer base about it was atrocious.

Kinect was also required at launch, but it was included. There was no Kinect-less option for the first half-ish year.

But yeah, a lot of people switch at that time, and rightly so. Keep in mind though, we're coming into a different generation, so we'll have to see what happens. Lots of people switch from the PlayStation 2 for an Xbox 360.

Ironically, the always online is common place today, and digital purchases in the console space are also now huge. They were actually ahead of their time with what they were doing, but the way they communicated it and dealt with their customer base about it was atrocious.

Kinect was also required at launch, but it was included. There was no Kinect-less option for the first half-ish year.

But yeah, a lot of people switch at that time, and rightly so. Keep in mind though, we're coming into a different generation, so we'll have to see what happens. Lots of people switch from the PlayStation 2 for an Xbox 360.
Yeah I meant to say that the Kinect was required to play. Poor choice of words. And I noticed that too about online everything. The difference is PS gave you the option and Microsoft tried to force it.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
People don't seem to have that issue buying a PS4 to play God of War, SFV or some other exclusive. What's the difference?
Speaking personally, I feel like Microsoft has dogshit exclusives and I love that. I love that I don't have to buy an Xbox because there's nothing on there I want to play. I don't care about any exclusive Microsoft has, but if they bought MK I'd have to spend $400 just to play it. I mean I got a PC too but I hate playing fighters on PC lol

mastermalone

Use only logic, please

I go all the way back to the 2600, and was very into having all the console stuff, had the magazines, and did all the reading to compare which version of what was better in what ways.

Back then there were very distinct technical differences between consoles. The tech was quickly evolving in very noticeable ways, and same gen consoles weren't really released in lockstep they way they have been. On several occasions a game would turn out totally different, and even be a completely different game entirely from one system to the next. Having more than one consoles really opened up doors that didn't exist on another console.

None of that exists today. There are good and bad versions of things, but they are differences generally imperceivable to audiences at large, and more often seen between console vs PC instead of console vs console. You don't have say 256 colors and good audio on SNES squaring off with 64 color pallets on Genesis for example. You don't have a more arcade perfect version of X-Men: COTA on Saturn because it had a RAM cart, but a library that generally fell short on other games sitting next to the original PlayStation.

Now you are more likely buying the stuff around the console itself. The UI experience, the community you are plugged into, some other perk like MS offering Console and PC versions, or free PSN games. Switches portability and all in one aspect that is great to just toss to your kids. That stuff. (obviously Switch is under powered and kind of running against the argument at large, but it has a strong outer console perk that fits here)

There is just not been a real compelling reason, from a technical standpoint, for consumers to be investing on more than one console in the last couple of gens. Any enticing consumers to do so, is purely at the company's favor to get some pie. All it really does is get someone to drop hundreds of dollars they could otherwise spend on something else to have one or two unique experiences, just because someone deliberately crafted a situation for no other reason than their own benefit.

In house games are probably something of an exception. KI really could only have ever existed as an MS exclusive since it was their idea, vs paying Capcom to not make an Xbox version of SFV.

I'm not against owning all the toys, but I'm also not going eagerly embrace console exclusives as some benign practice when there is rarely any meaningful justification for it that empowers me as a consumer.
I also go all the way back to the 2600 console era. I was born in 1974. I remember those days well in the early 80's. I know all about the technical differences between say the old Coleco Vision that my cousins had vs the same game running on my Atari 2600. Burger Time and Popeye were vastly different. That practice continued in to the SNES and Genesis era via games like Aladin and X-Men. If you are referring to me buying consoles to experience exclusives as willfully enabling consumer unfriendly practices, I personally don't think so, but that's just my opinion. Me buying all consoles to get that experience will not stop consoles from making experiences that differentiate themselves from one another. That is unless I'm missing your point. There will always be exclusive stuff that you can only get via some console be it a control mechanism or software.

But I definitely see your point here.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
One has lots of great exclusives, the other has big men with guns, lol.
So I assume out of the 760+ games I have installed on my HDD's connected to the Xbox One X, they are supposedly all shooters? Honestly, I don't think so. Out of the exclusives that I have on my PS4 Pro, only a few are really worth the price of admission. Games like Spiderman, God of War, Last of Us (part 1), Street Fighter V, Detroit Become Human and Horizon Zero Dawn really captured me. The others that I bought I could seriously live without. They are good, but not as memorable as the other games that I mentioned.

Most of the exclusives that I enjoy on the PS4 are smaller titles, not big AAA games that are strictly just single player narratives. I find that both the PS4 and Xbox One share around 80% of the same games. The other 20% are the exclusives which are hit or miss in my opinion. That goes for both systems. I do notice a distinct advantage in the fighting games area for the PS4. Sony (and Nintendo) get all the love in that category. The Xbox get's about 30% of the overall number of fighting games available to the PS4. The Xbox gets the big name fighters (Except the latest Street Fighter) but not the smaller, more exotic titles found on the PS4 such as BB Tag, Under Night, Guilty Gear, Gran Blu Fantasy Vs etc. I will say that Bandai Namco really screwed up the Xbox One version of Tekken 7 BIG TIME! That game looks worse than an early PS3 title. It's poorly optimized and is pixelated AF!

I was like, "Are they SERIOUS??! Who let this get passed QA?" It is really that bad. Find a video of it. It's horrible! Thank goodness I have my PS4 version.

Thingy

Retired account
I see a lot of people trying to maintain hope that MK stays multiplatform, but the chances of that happening are extremely slim to none if Microsoft buys. The titles that WB Interactive have could sell consoles if made exclusives and draw people back to the Microsoft brand. Sony could make twice as much money if they made their exclusives multiplat, but you will not see that happen due to the reason stated above.

Sony has been absolutely murdering Microsoft to shameful levels on the exclusive front, and you guys are sitting here holding out hope that Microsoft will spend billions just to publish a game that Sony will benefit from. Money talks, and that is exactly why you want to have something that your competitor can not offer. If Microsoft acquires WB Interactive, there is a 99.9 percent chance that MK will be Microsoft exclusive.

Last edited:
Most people here seem to be fans of Sony's platform, and I have an honest question: Outside of the exclusives that everyone keeps mentioning, what exactly does the PlayStation 4 platform do better than the Xbox One platform?

Or more to the point, if someone doesn't have much interest in Sony's exclusive games, why should they get a PlayStation 4 Pro over an Xbox One X?

Not trying to start a flame war or anything, I'm honestly curious what it does better, because when it comes down to it, I really only ever see "they have more exclusives" as the be-all-end-all reason.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Most people here seem to be fans of Sony's platform, and I have an honest question: Outside of the exclusives that everyone keeps mentioning, what exactly does the PlayStation 4 platform do better than the Xbox One platform?

Or more to the point, if someone doesn't have much interest in Sony's exclusive games, why should they get a PlayStation 4 Pro over an Xbox One X?

Not trying to start a flame war or anything, I'm honestly curious what it does better, because when it comes down to it, I really only ever see "they have more exclusives" as the be-all-end-all reason.
you nailed here, but , it's exactly due the exclusives, and, we can say that there are normally pretty good, GOTY material and very decent on Playstation, that people prefer to buy the console over anything MS do on and for Xbox .....

it's a simple math: if you don't care too much about exclusives, so, you will spend majority of your money in the plataform you feel like better attend your personal taste , because there are lots of multiplataforms games that are good ....

however, if your care a lot about good exclusive games, and knowing that a multiplataform game will come out for Sony Playstation too, and that the graphical difference is not too much is compared with the same game for Xbox, the logical point is that you end up chosing PS5 over Series X, and this, make all the sales numbers in the end

So, yeah, the only difference is exclusives, but, is something that Xbox is underestimating and making them losing the concurrence and competition against Sony ..... a very simple and stupid detail, but , is one that weights a lot of decision factor for the final costumer and gamers consumers \ clients, so ....