What's new

Microsoft Interested In Buying Batman, Mortal Kombat Dev WB Games - Report

Rice

SIRO FOR MK1
People here saying EA, Activision and Take Two are better for the consumer than Microsoft?

:DOGE
Its literally only a couple of days since Microsoft announced to shut down their celebrated Mixer platform and fucked over a entire community without any warning.

And now they are partnering with fucking Facebook Gaming instead lmao

At least with the others i would have faith getting MK games again.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
I'm fine with Microsoft. Truth is any big company is going to have their warts, I don't find Microsoft's to be as bad. I also don't think it automatically means MK would become a Microsoft Exclusive.
hmmm, regarding Microsoft, when talking about games development and support, I would rather prefer treat like this :

:p :joker:

Personally I'd be fine with that, but I see A LOT of people getting upset over this one.
Microsoft published and funded Killer Instinct. The level of support and community interaction that game had was fantastic. They'd do just fine with Mortal Kombat.

I'd be ok with this...
  1. KI vs MK confirmed
  2. We can finally abandon playstation completely when they make it a exclusive.
  3. Xbox and Windows have built in cross play and the architecture is getting more and more identical, so perfect PC port, day one patches for PC and PC players get the full multiplayer experience.
  4. Less lame movie tie-in special guests as WB already own the rights and M$ doesn't.
Of all the bullshit, never going to happen, what a load of crap rumors I have heard recently, this is my favorite one.
Point number 3 is huge here, and something most people just don't seem to understand the value/potential of.

Why is it Shit Box when MS hasnt even launched their system yet?
Ignorance and platform eliteism is your answer.

Ideally just be multiplatform still.
It very well may be. Microsoft has already said exclusives are not a huge thing they're focusing on anymore. They're trying to bridge communities and platforms. Minecraft was never pulled from the other ecosystems, it's possible other Microsoft owned franchises may go multiplatform as well.

Microsoft is also pushing for crossplay overall. Nintendo has been receptive to this, but Sony has resisted.

Your comments regarding exclusives are subjective as well. It's great you enjoy the Sony exclusives, as many do, but not everyone is interested in them.

kantboy-2

Ripper
Hit balls with brick.

Stream service where people saw other people play games closed and merged with another stream service.

Cool.

:DOGE

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Microsoft published and funded Killer Instinct. The level of support and community interaction that game had was fantastic. They'd do just fine with Mortal Kombat.

Point number 3 is huge here, and something most people just don't seem to understand the value/potential of.

Ignorance and platform eliteism is your answer.

It very well may be. Microsoft has already said exclusives are not a huge thing they're focusing on anymore. They're trying to bridge communities and platforms. Minecraft was never pulled from the other ecosystems, it's possible other Microsoft owned franchises may go multiplatform as well.

Microsoft is also pushing for crossplay overall. Nintendo has been receptive to this, but Sony has resisted.

Your comments regarding exclusives are subjective as well. It's great you enjoy the Sony exclusives, as many do, but not everyone is interested in them.
They published KI in 2013....... 2013. I'd like them to crank out more than ONE NRS game in 7 years.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
They published KI in 2013....... 2013. I'd like them to crank out more than ONE NRS game in 7 years.
yep .... nailed here

Microsoft = laziness and comfort zone

They take advantage of the immense revenue and billions profit that Windows generate daily for them and so, they are rich as hell, that's a fact; but ....

regarding games, they are a total disaster, not a synonym of evolution and\or renovation ..... while others companies are reference for trying to improve in this area, MS is just spending money in stupid ideias, and not investing in making good and epic games, that's for sure

this is not a console flame war argument here, but, games are not priority for Microsoft busines , and the way things are being managing by them, I even don't doubt that they could finish and end Xbox as hardware platafrom in future, I mean, I think this next generation, if MS ended up being not competent to compete with Sony and Nintendo, I guess that will not be interesting to them to keep Xbox as a product, and so, maybe, they will just invest in games as services, and fuck off the entire hardware division of Xbox, and just focus in making games for another plataforms, kind, make services and multiplataforms games and forget about consoles

regarding games, they are a total disaster, not a synonym of evolution and\or renovation ..... while others companies are reference for trying to improve in this area, MS is just spending money in stupid ideias, and not investing in making good and epic games, that's for sure

this is not a console flame war argument here, but, games are not priority for Microsoft busines , and the way things are being managing by them, I even don't doubt that they could finish and end Xbox as hardware platafrom in future, I mean, I think this next generation, if MS ended up being not competent to compete with Sony and Nintendo, I guess that will not be interesting to them to keep Xbox as a product, and so, maybe, they will just invest in games as services, and fuck off the entire hardware division of Xbox, and just focus in making games for another plataforms, kind, make services and multiplataforms games and forget about consoles
Their leadership and design direction with the Xbox One was horrible, no question. I suspect that was all Mattrick though. Spencer seems to be going in a different direction.

The Xbox One had no proper idea of what it wanted to be, and was an underpowered console by design. They fixed that with the Xbox One X, and have said they're focusing on games first for Xbox Series X and are acquiring more studios for this purpose. So this coming generation, we'll see what they do.

On July 23rd, they'll be showcasing upcoming games, so it'll be interesting to see what's on tap.

In terms of them getting out of the console market in terms of hardware, that's always possible. They've also been turning Xbox into a brand, as oppossed to just a platform, for a while now.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
And supported it with new characters, content, modes, improvements, and balance changes/patches until 2018.

I'd like to see NetherRealm Studios support a game for more than a year or so.
fair enough, I am resentful that KI was only on xbox though, it is a very very good game and honestly better than any NRS game and would have flourished on multi platform.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
The KI devs approached KI WAY different that NRS approaches their games. KI was an XBL game, where as MK is a AAA game. Also, from the beginning of KI's development, the game was produced with a 'free -to-play' model in mind, to be further developed over time. This is expressly different than how NRS does things.

Also, and I could be wrong about this, but the devs that MS has been partnering i believe are able to stand somewhat separate and apart from MS proper, owning there own IPs. If that is true, do you know what that could mean for MK?

What if MS bought WB Games, and NRS was able to become its own thing? Owning MK and all other properties they create? The MK team / NRS HAS NEVER owned any IP I believe, most notably MK. They have only been able to act like they do, as they have been held to a certain standard by the Midway, and later WB, when creating their games. If NRS went into a partner ship with MS, who knows what could happen.

Last edited:
fair enough, I am resentful that KI was only on xbox though, it is a very very good game and honestly better than any NRS game and would have flourished on multi platform.
There's a contradiction with your overall thinking here though: You're complaining that the Xbox platform has no exclusives, yet you're complaining that one of its exclusives is exclusive.

The point of having exclusives is that you need to buy the platform specifically to play it, end of story.

Would Killer Instinct have done better if it was a multiplatform title? Of course, the Xbox One was a disaster for years. But that goes against the concept of exclusivity that you've regularly championed.

Another interesting fact: Before Evo 2020 was cancelled, according to the registration numbers I saw, Killer Instinct had more registrations than Mortal Kombat 11. It wasn't drastically more, but it was more.

Stream service where people saw other people play games closed and merged with another stream service.
In all fairness, they bought a fledgling streaming service and tried to make it work with a major re-brand and probably a fuck-tonne of money. They were up against Twitch which is pretty much the only game streaming platform anyone cares about.

It's not much different to someone trying to out-Youtube youtube. It's a waste of time and money. They figured it out and here we are.

And it got 3 seasons of updates and supported for quite some time after that. Does make you wonder what the studio is up to now though?

If WB games does get sold, so long as whoever buys it is smart enough to let NRS do what they do as they have been without too much intervention, then i don't really think it matters who buys them. NRS games have strong sales and so long as the bean-counters see that and understand that what they've been doing works, that's all that should matter.

The last thing you want is any company buying them and splitting up the dev groups, or poking their fingers into things they have no idea about just to try and eeek out a few extra $$$.

As much as people may have not liked WB for certain things, it really hasn't been that bad with NRS under the WB umbrella... has it?

I am resentful that KI was only on xbox though,
Same goes for Street Fighter players who got fucked over with SF5 being PS4 exclusive. I played a heap of SF4 way back then (thankfully MK was going through a bit of a hiatus at that time) and would have loved to play SF5, but never happened thanks to the whole Sony-Capcom arrangement.

Does make you wonder what the studio is up to now though?
Killer Instinct had two developers: Double Helix, who was bought out after Season 1 by Amazon, as I recall, and then Iron Galaxy for the remainder. Iron Galaxy primarily does ports of games. It has been confirmed that currently, they are not working on Killer Instinct 4, and that Killer Instinct 4 is not being developed at this time.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
There's a contradiction with your overall thinking here though: You're complaining that the Xbox platform has no exclusives, yet you're complaining that one of its exclusives is exclusive.

The point of having exclusives is that you need to buy the platform specifically to play it, end of story.

Would Killer Instinct have done better if it was a multiplatform title? Of course, the Xbox One was a disaster for years. But that goes against the concept of exclusivity that you've regularly championed.

Another interesting fact: Before Evo 2020 was cancelled, according to the registration numbers I saw, Killer Instinct had more registrations than Mortal Kombat 11. It wasn't drastically more, but it was more.
I mean, my points aren't mutually exclusive. Exclusives are completely necessary and a good thing, but yeah I get why my friend on xbox is upset that his best game is the master chief collection with 15 year old games meanwhile sony is dropping multiple bangers per year.

I think xbox is a good system and I will buy a series x if Halo is good.

KI is a win for MS but it's literally their ONLY good NEW game and it was a launch title. Gears 5 is fine, Halo 5 was incredibly disappointing, which sucks ass to say because Halo 1-Reach is the reason I learned to love video games.

I mean, my points aren't mutually exclusive. Exclusives are completely necessary and a good thing, but yeah I get why my friend on xbox is upset that his best game is the master chief collection with 15 year old games meanwhile sony is dropping multiple bangers per year.

I think xbox is a good system and I will buy a series x if Halo is good.
Fair enough. For myself I'm going to wait a year or two after launch before buying a new console unless there's an exclusive on either platform that scream's must-own for me. Since all the first party Xbox Series X launch titles are apparently going to be on Xbox One as well, that likely won't occur.

Re: Halo: The Master Chief Collection, the popularity of those classic games is truly insane, they really are beloved. Forget about the Xbox One version, the PC version has sold insanely well and everyone was clamouring to play it there. Not bad at all for ten to twenty year old games!

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Fair enough. For myself I'm going to wait a year or two after launch before buying a new console unless there's an exclusive on either platform that scream's must-own for me. Since all the first party Xbox Series X launch titles are apparently going to be on Xbox One as well, that likely won't occur.

Re: Halo: The Master Chief Collection, the popularity of those classic games is truly insane, they really are beloved. Forget about the Xbox One version, the PC version has sold insanely well and everyone was clamouring to play it there. Not bad at all for ten to twenty year old games!
I still play the master chief collection, Halo: CE still holds up shockingly well, especially at 60 fps. Halo 2 is a beautiful story imo and the Arbiter is probably my favorite video game protagonist in that game, the issues with the gameplay in the campaign due to it being rushed out too soon are easy to overlook. 3 is the perfect conclusion to the trilogy, my roommate / best friend and I replayed the campaign on legendary together with one of us being Chief and the other being Arbiter just like we did back when we were 7. Shit is incredible and I don't think Microsoft could produce another game that will evoke the same feelings almost 2 decades later.

However, I already look back very fondly on Uncharted 2 and 3, God of War 1-3, and The Last of Us, and I bet that I will feel the same looking back on some of these PS4 games like God of War 4, Uncharted 4, and The Last of Us Part 2. Ghost of Tsushima looks incredible as well.