What's new

Michaelangelo General Discussion: COWABUNGA

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I saw that there’s no thread for the nunchucks master.

Let’s discuss all tech and strategy here..

It took me a while but I’m finally getting the hang of the character and he’s a pressure master.

His mixups/pressure is endless. Many of them have holes or are punishable but when you mix them together it is sooo hard to get a read on him.

The main pressure/mixup options I use are:
B22 shell mill- mid mid low
B223 shell mill- mid mid oh low
B223 trait low - mid mid oh mid low
B223 turtling cancel- mid mid oh tc
B223 bombshell- mid mid oh mid oh
B223 trait oh- mid mid oh oh
B223 trait mid- mid mid oh mid plus 2

11-high low plus 2
11shellmill- high low low
11 bombshell- high low oh
11 turtling cancel

21u3- mid mid mid +6. Has gap

When all these are mixed together it’s pretth much impossible to keep up with them. The cool thing is that shellshill is plus9 on hit and keeps standing so b2 pressure is guaranteed

B223trait mid will also keep standing and is a whopping plus 15 on hit..

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I was VERY suprized when learned trait 1 was treated as a projectile (doesnt go through klone or atro shield and can be reflected)
Thought it would be like ww shield.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
The trick is to utilize turtling out. It builds like 3 times as much meter as the zoner. You can build full bar really quickly with spam happy zoners

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
Here's a playlist with some Mikey matches I did earlier today

I don't use turtling very much if at all, or the skateboard in blockstrings, something I really need to look into. I definitely think using the Break Dance hitstun to do more mixups is something that is nigh impossible to defend against. Super punishable, although luckily this guy was just using throws, but yeah, high risk high reward.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
It's Michelangelo.
His name was originally spelled Michaelangelo. Though there was no space. I'm partial to the OG spelling myself.

These are the strings I've found that seem the best for cancelling skateboard into kickflip for block pressure. Kickflip is listed as +1 and when done in block strings that seems about right. There's always a gap but it can be quite small off of certain stuff which allows for some blockstrings that you could potentially hit confirm into full combos. I tested this stuff but I could potentially be off, I didn't think B1~KF had a pokeable gap the first time I checked. At any rate I think it's a useful tool in his kit.

11~Kickflip (No pokes)
B1(second hit)~Kickflip (6 frame gap)
3~Kickflip (No pokes)

You can use these as block strings/staggers to enforce mixups and in theory you could hit confirm 11 and B1(into B12) into the skateboard's low launcher or some other launcher. All three will combo into the skateboard low launcher.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
His name was originally spelled Michaelangelo.
He was named after the artist, whose name was spelled as above.
All the toys also say Michelangelo not Michaelangelo.
So, that's the correct spelling of the name.

I do remember it going Michael- in the 80's but it was soon corrected and Laird himself said in an interview that it was simply a mistake to spell it that way, since he's named after the artist.

Marinjuana

He was named after the artist, whose name was spelled as above.
All the toys also say Michelangelo not Michaelangelo.
So, that's the correct spelling of the name.

I do remember it going Michael- in the 80's but it was soon corrected and Laird himself said in an interview that it was simply a mistake to spell it that way, since he's named after the artist.
TMNT are named after renaissance artists? Get out of town!

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
TMNT are named after renaissance artists? Get out of town!
Your sarcasm duly noted, friendo. You wouldn't believe that some people call them Lio, Ralph, Micky, Danny and other odd shit, would you? The renaissance artist fact is not obvious to people these days. It's not as common of a knowledge as some of us would like it to be.

so ive gone and tested all of mikeys mixups and i can say none of them are legit... Im starting to think the best way to use this character is pressure because people will have to be fuzzying the mixups and cant poke at certain times during the fuzzy so you can go for trait stuff and turtling cancels. ill go into depth on how to fuzzy/block it if asked. err atleast with b2 string havent tested other strings/setup mixups but i mean the main mixup string everyone uses b2.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

so ive gone and tested all of mikeys mixups and i can say none of them are legit... Im starting to think the best way to use this character is pressure because people will have to be fuzzying the mixups and cant poke at certain times during the fuzzy so you can go for trait stuff. ill go into depth on how to fuzzy/block it if asked. err atleast with b2 string havent tested other strings/setup mixups but i mean the main mixup string everyone uses b2.
I'm not convinced that B22~Shell Mill/B223 is fuzzyable. You also have to consider that the low hits multiple times, so it's not enough to just fuzzy the low then overhead, you need to react to blocking the low and not block overhead.

F2/Shell Mill and Divekick/Shell Mill are as legit as it gets.

Last edited:

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I think between Mike and Leo, one has the some of the best defense and best offense the game has to offer.

One thing I like about Mike is having Shell Mill as a decently quick low option to chase walk back and stand block. Since Turtles all have good overhead options, I've found that I can land this pretty often, and once it hits, well, it's party time. The risk/reward is low in a damage sense, but the opportunity for landing Shell Mill could lead you to take the round if you loop it a few times.

Since he has long strings, I notice I have lots of super meter left over, and I feel it's worth it to burn a bar (or a couple) in combos to get the best possible damage. If you use the skateboard and a bar, or two bars after landing Shell Mill or Bombshell, you can consistently get in the high 300's to 400 area, which is plenty good for such a heavy mixup character.

Marinjuana

Yea I think he'll end up as a strong character. In terms of just his ability to open people up(not counting damage/safety/etc), I think he has the best mix in the game. He threatens you with low/overhead and farther ranges then even Brainiac.

Reminds me of Bo' Rai Cho in some ways.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
That's a pretty good comparison, and I think unlike Bo, his momentum isn't halted quite so much when he chooses to stay safe. Going for the kickflip when they're trying to block low/overhead leads to being + again which means you can probably get another b2 string going and get the skateboard back in time to reinforce the damage you're about to do.

Basically once the opponent starts to get wise to trying to enforce the block, you get a new layer to add in that is really advantageous for Mike and not an opening for the opponent. It's a really unique gimmick that I think ties together a lot of weak parts of his game.

I still think Leo is undeniably the best, but Mikey is, to me, a solid second here on day 3.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
I know this may not be the right place to ask, but can you explain why Leo is the best TMNT?
Well he has a little bit of everything that could make a character strong: extremely long ranged advancing attacks that can be hit confirmed on block and go into a safe MB special that does massive chip, a truly invulnerable wakeup attack, very good d2 and general AA, high meterless damage, and even okay-ish mixups with some of his assist moves.

Now you take all that and add in Raph Assist, which is probably the single best defensive move in the game, and it puts him all over the top to me.

Marinjuana

If you are trying to arouse M2Dave, I think saying "single best defensive move in the game" is a good way to do it

I'm not convinced that B22~Shell Mill/B223 is fuzzyable. You also have to consider that the low hits multiple times, so it's not enough to just fuzzy the low then overhead, you need to react to blocking the low and not block overhead.

F2/Shell Mill and Divekick/Shell Mill are as legit as it gets.
b22 shellmill vs b223 is a like 6 frame fuzzy. if you can react in 28 frames then you can you'll be able to block the multiple hits of shellmill. the thing with fuzzying him is everything is doable on its own its just a lot of fuzzys you gotta kno and there is almost too much to keep track of so it will take awhile to start seeing it, if we even do. the thing is once you start mixing in his turtle cancels then thats when the mixups become legit cuz people cant keep track of all of that and be pressing d1s in between cuz those hit at the same frames of certain mixups.

Last edited:

AkioOf100

I play Raph
Does Mikey play neutral at all.... like ik he doesn’t have the best neutral but I’m wondering what to do against him as raphael rn.