What's new

Tech - Unbreakable Meaty Corner Slide (Wake-up Input Reversal)

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
*Note: This works in all variations, but I guess there's less need for it outside Unbreakable.*

A meaty slide is a great way to end a round.

If you do a meaty slide in the corner and time it to hit at the end of the slide animation, it will reverse the opponent's wake up inputs.

Excuse the low quality of the video:

As you can see in the video, when I try to wake up with EX spin I keep getting stuffed consistently, and that is because the hat toss is what's actually coming out not the spin. When I reverse my wake up inputs, the spin comes out and the slide crosses over.

Wake-ups without armor get stuffed of course. In the video I woke up a couple of times with normal spin and got stuffed.

Now regarding the safety of doing that slide: Blocking the slide is very difficult because you have to block low but without staying on the ground. In case the opponent stays on the floor, the slide will whiff but the opponent won't have time to get up and punish, so you'll be safe. You can see me trying to punish the whiffed slide with EX spin but Sub-Zero can block every time.

Finally, actually blocking the slide puts you in the corner and you'll be unsafe and you'll eat a full punish. Luckily, the timing of actually blocking the slide without staying down on the ground is very tight. You can see my in the video trying to block it but I just end up staying down on the floor. In the very end you see me blocking it and the slide crosses up putting Subby in the corner.

Don't use this with knockdowns that can be tech-rolled because mashing the wake-up inputs will get the opponent to roll and the slide will whiff and they will wake up instantly and it will punish Sub-Zero. However this still only works with very fast wake-ups because the slide has only 13 frames of recovery on whiff.

This isn't something to go for every time, obviously, because corner pressure is much better than just hitting a slide. However, if you're trying to end a round and your opponent is trying to escape the corner and run for their lives, this can be very handy. I have ended a lot of matches with a meaty slide and it's better than it sounds.

Sub confirmed Doomsday.
Only problem was Doomsday was in Injustice, this is MK. If this were Injustice it would be GREAT tech. However, in MK there is no way to actually cross up the opponent on which side this attack will hit. Stuffing the wake up is irrelevant because your reward is not worth the risk as the opponent can just block or even delay their get up and full combo punish.

Its probably only useful for a "need one hit to win" in situations where neither of you can take a hit and the opponent has a good armor attack that can be used on wake up.

Last edited:

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Only problem was Doomsday was in Injustice, this is MK. If this were Injustice it would be GREAT tech. However, in MK there is no way to actually cross up the opponent on which side this attack will hit. Stuffing the wake up is irrelevant because your reward is not worth the risk as the opponent can just block or even delay their get up and full combo punish.
Oh I know, lol. It just reminded me of when TYM discovered Doomsday's corner reversal tech. ;)