What's new

MB Missile Combos Are Not Worth The Bar.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
I've known this for awhile but wanted to share it anyway. Essentially, MB Missile combos off b22 or s3 are not worth it. If you use them as an anti air and hit of course it's good and in the corner they are worth it. However, I'd like to illustrate that midscreen they are a complete waste of resources.

For this comparison I am using the test group of b22 as your starter. The combo is b22~db2MB, j3, b11, b11u3~db3 which does 345.60 against 1050 health characters.

The combo I use is a float cancel combo. b22~4, j2~db2, j2~db2~cancel, 2d3~db2, bf1. You're probably wondering why the fuck is there a laser at the end? The combo before it 100% jails into a laser that they HAVE to block. It cannot be backdashed or push blocked.

The combo does 270.28 BEFORE the laser. Laser does 58.68 in chip.

270.28+58.68 = 328.96

That's right. That bar only gets you 16.64 more damage.

S3 is the same story. The standard MB Missile BnB does 386.24. My combo does 297.89+58.68 which = 356.57. 386.24 - 356.57 = 29.67. Not even 30 more damage for a bar.

Just a little tidbit I'd thought I'd share.

Last edited:

Chernyy Volk

So what combo in the corner are you using that makes MB missile worth using?
The thing is you kind of have to make it worth it due to this not being possible in the corner because you don't have the pushback from 2d3 to make laser safe. I have in my guide f3, j3, b11u3~4, 3~db3 as the corner combo. Does 354 raw, so probably 360-ish or 70-ish off b22 I'm guessing.

Chernyy Volk

I've now added a video I made on this. I want to get into making serious YT content so let me know how I did for my very first time.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
sorry but im going to keep spening that bar for missile combo's, i want that corner carry and damage. also restands are cool and all, but this is manta were talking about, any time i land a combo 9/10 im going to cash out.

Chernyy Volk

sorry but im going to keep spening that bar for missile combo's, i want that corner carry and damage. also restands are cool and all, but this is manta were talking about, any time i land a combo 9/10 im going to cash out.
I noted in the video description that obviously, if you can get the kill and air escape/clash isn't a factor, you absolutely should do the Mb missile combo. But I believe in NO WAY does it end up being worth it. On top of that, if corner carry is your concern, you have these options.

Off 1, b22 or 3 you can do...

~4, j2~db2, j2~db2~cancel, d2~db2, f213
~4, j2~db2, j2~db2~cancel, b11u3, d2, f213

Both of those give you nearly twice as much corner carry for no bar as the MB missile BnB. You could also optimize the corner carry with the Missile combos by doing MB missile, b3, j3, d2~db2, f213.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
That float combo the vid seems fairly inconsistent and way more difficult than the standard BnB which is ridiculously easy. Looks really cool, but I think I'll stick with the standard BnB for the bar.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
i have my way of playing manta and it works well for me, i save most of the missile and or standing reset shenanigans for the corner.

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
Interesting concept and I think there's a lot of factors that go into consideration as far as to what combos to use. Both with pros and cons.

Obviously without meter you may want to practice the meterless option.

Consistency, how likely are you to drop the combo in a high pressure situation?

Trait usage, the combos displayed show quite a bit of trait being used, though I assume you can modify it so it uses less trait for less damage, depending on the manta players/match-up they may be low on trait constantly.

Meter usage, my favorite part is you build good meter by using the laser on block, which can be used to mb laser on pressure or other mb moves. On the other hand Manta builds a lot of meter sometimes it's worth spending it for an easy combo.

Hit confirming, a lot of us use the missile after hit confirming, I assume the float would be a matter of implementing into muscle memory.

Knockdown pressure.

My biggest concern is consistency and trait usage, I'll check it out later when I'm at home.

Chernyy Volk

Can you do that float combo consistently with b22 starter? 1 or 3 is ok, but b22... shiet
I recorded this on PC which I fucking swear has added input delay. I get the b22 consistently in match. 90% success rate or so. It's definitely doable. The thing that makes these float cancel combos a bitch is the timing is different on all three normals they start off of.

Chernyy Volk

That float combo the vid seems fairly inconsistent and way more difficult than the standard BnB which is ridiculously easy. Looks really cool, but I think I'll stick with the standard BnB for the bar.
I've been sick and my execution was off and this was on PC which has added input delay or some fuckery going on. My execution has to be consistently tighter on PC. I can do this pretty consistently, but obviously player needs and tendencies will dictate what works best for you. I just think this is worth knowing.

Chernyy Volk

Interesting concept and I think there's a lot of factors that go into consideration as far as to what combos to use. Both with pros and cons.

Obviously without meter you may want to practice the meterless option.

Consistency, how likely are you to drop the combo in a high pressure situation?

Trait usage, the combos displayed show quite a bit of trait being used, though I assume you can modify it so it uses less trait for less damage, depending on the manta players/match-up they may be low on trait constantly.

Meter usage, my favorite part is you build good meter by using the laser on block, which can be used to mb laser on pressure or other mb moves. On the other hand Manta builds a lot of meter sometimes it's worth spending it for an easy combo.

Hit confirming, a lot of us use the missile after hit confirming, I assume the float would be a matter of implementing into muscle memory.

Knockdown pressure.

My biggest concern is consistency and trait usage, I'll check it out later when I'm at home.
You'll come out with 1/4 trait recovered by the time the combo finishes. It's obviously a MU specific consideration, but I personally try to save trait for the reset/meterless damage output factor of the character. While I'm not going to tell anybody they are wrong for doing MB missile combos, I definitely feel their worth is questionable. If the scaling weren't so severe I'd say they are obviously the superior choice every time. Personally, I don't have a problem dropping these float combos most of the time, but I also know when I will drop them and will do a MB missile combo if I need to do not fuck up. I think part of what makes this character difficult is you have to keep a lot in mind. You can never autopilot.

Chernyy Volk

Also I feel like Manta's trait recovers fairly fast. I never find myself lacking for it.