What's new

Mayo presents - The Dawn of a New Quan (new video guide)

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

(introduction from Youtube)

In EarthRealm, Quan serves Mayo.

Under_The_Mayo proudly presents the epic conclusion of the Quan Chi Science video series, "The Dawn of a New Quan." Inside, we review the changes from the last major patch, and take a comprehensive look at Anti-Air punches and meter building. Detailed throughout the video are numerous situations that provide exactly how much meter you need to earn for a single/double/triple Rune Trap down to the 1/100th of a percent.

Finally, all the meter building math leads up to a brand new devastating approach to Rune Traps that is sure to send Quan's enemies fleeing in terror. Revealed here for the first time, this new trap (given a bit of a tongue-in-cheek name) and the advanced meter building are must-sees for any serious Quan player, as well as any player who needs to better understand the Quan match-up.

Quans around the world... rejoice, and prepare for the mega-backlash from everyone else. My lab coat and crazy mysterious bubbling chemicals will not be able to protect you from criticism over these tools. I just do the science. :)

Now...can I get a Woolay in the house?

Also included is this must see video: Mayo's first science of Quan.

(NOTE: the escape window mentioned in the Rune Trap is caused by dashing. By buffering 2 1 in the final animation frames of the skydrop, it is guaranteed to be unescapable. Therefore making the use of the EX Skull unnecessary.)

Click here to view the original presentation on Quan's ability to build meter:

Vote on the Rune Trap poll at MKU here! http://www.mortalkombatunited.com/showthread.php?9981-Mace-Apologizes-to-Quan-Chi.&p=230387#post230387

Robotic

Gentleman.
Thanks Mayo, I will check this out when I get off work. Oh, almost forgot: When I say Woo, you say Lay! Woo!

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Woolay

Good shit, Mayo. You said you were getting the specifics down, but dammmmmnnnnn you GOT the specifics down. Great info man, great info!

Oh yeah, and I forgot..... Thread Stickied.

Robotic

Gentleman.
Admiral STRAIGHT up modded all up on this post's belly! Congrats Aug, is that your first official act as Quan mod?

Niiice. Good shit, Mayo. Slapping myself for not thinking of whiffing Trance twice, now. And nice find with the meter-building change; a bit more reason to use Ground Burst, then, I suppose. The "Mayo Trap" looks interesting as well... I'm not sure if I'll really use it, but it's nice to know about.

Two things I want to note, however, though I'm sure you're already aware: 1) There IS time to whiff a Trance and Rune to connect b+2,1 after ANY Trance.... it's just rather strict and I can understand not wanting to attempt it for its risk/reward factor. 2) You cannot whiff two Trances and still perform b+2,1 off all ground-to-air Trances, just the ones at higher heights; if you opponent gets hit at a lower height, you'll have to settle for less.

Oh, and could you explain a bit further on why you think ending with uppercut off u+3 and 1,1,2 is better than ending with b+1,1 xx Trance? You're forfeiting over 8% of a bar of meter in favor of ~1% of damage. Is Quan Chi at a significant frame disadvantage when using Trance? He's still safe from wake-ups with b+1,1 xx Trance and he's still putting himself at a distance.

Seriously, great video, though.

you guys should see that there`s a poll on mku where people are voting on removing the rune trap from quan. you may want to have your say. http://www.mortalkombatunited.com/showthread.php?9981-Mace-Apologizes-to-Quan-Chi.
eh... Quan's Rune Trap isn't getting much support. Totally agree with what you posted over there. If they took that away, he'd certainly have to receive something else to make up for it, and at that point he'd change so much I feel like they might as well make another character. I don't really check MKU, but it seems a few people there only just found out about it, so I don't think the poll's results are particularly informed and are probably somewhat biased. I'll get a vote up there soon, though I can't see NRS taking the poll too seriously.

By the way and on a semi-related note, and I know this might be counter-productive in a thread meant to improve Quan Chi, but does anyone think it might be better for the opponent to (usually) just get hit by the 1,2 in 2,1,2? The overall damage dealt by a repetition of the Rune Trap only increases from ~16% to ~18% and the only thing Quan can do to take advantage of a connected 1,2 is cancel the 1 into EX Skull Ball for a safe jump and a bit less damage and about 8.5% of a bar of meter, and even then, he'd still have to guess that the opponent would stop blocking at the 1 and risk wasting a bar of meter for a blocked EX Skull Ball. Taking the hits, the opponent is able to gain about 15% of a bar of meter and stop Quan Chi from gaining about 16% of a bar of meter.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
That is a seriously awesome video. Good shit, good good shit.

you guys should see that there`s a poll on mku where people are voting on removing the rune trap from quan. you may want to have your say. http://www.mortalkombatunited.com/showthread.php?9981-Mace-Apologizes-to-Quan-Chi.
Wow. That's the stupidest thing I've seen regarding this game since the two front page shitstorms about how zoning should basically be removed from the game.

People can shit on rune trapping all they want, but they better start explaining what Quan is without it. It's buttfuck retarded, but we're talking about a character with no offense or defense. You're going to have to stomach the retardation as a result of poor character design.

Also, they removed the rune trap once before because it was a glitch. Then it went right back in, because it's a lot easier to have that than it is to rebuild Quan from the ground up which is what he would need to be viable without it.

Oh, and if the rune trap is a glitch, WTF was the intent behind the enhanced rune?

Also, they removed the rune trap once before because it was a glitch. Then it went right back in, because it's a lot easier to have that than it is to rebuild Quan from the ground up which is what he would need to be viable without it.
You sure about that? I think what happened is the stagger off Sky Drop was reduced so Quan Chi lost his safe jump and people assumed the Rune Trap wouldn't work anymore, but eventually figured out that Quan Chi has still enough time to guarantee a 2,1,2 or 1,1,2 after Sky Drop. I don't remember it ever being entirely removed.

LuckyStrikeMike

Philosopher
Wow. Just took a look at the poll on MKU.

Seriously? This game is going to be ruined by controversies like this. The rune trap better not get patched.
Also, I'm not convinced it shouldn't be a viable strategy (I'm not convinced by people calling it cheap, dirty, etc.) Think of it like an X-ray combo. Other characters can do close to 60% with 3 bars (Nightwolf and ermac come to mind, and i'm sure there are more). So why get rid of one of Quan's best tools for getting damage in the same way?

The community's best response, rather than asking for ANOTHER patch, would be to learn the Quan matchup better. Once you learn his mix ups, he can be effectively shut down by a lot of characters. It seems like top players at least know how to do this - why else have we seen almost no Quan players in the top 8 at majors?

Taking away the rune trap will kill my enthusiasm to play this character, just like taking away sub-zero's resets seems to have taken the wind out of his community. Don't do it, NRS!

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Krames is right... They only reduced the stagger so the safe jump was gone. I think the thought was it wouldn't guarantee the rune trap after sky drop.

TyrantRevolver

Darkwave Digital
You have to be arguably the best tutorial vid maker for any fighting game - like.... ever. Lol. I was speechless. Extremely thurough and very clear. You also take the next step and do it with excellent presentation thats both stylish and practical (these 2 things frequently cancel each other out depending on what a vid maker's own personal tastes dictate.) I was inspired. The community is lucky to have you. Thanks for everything you're doing man!

Oh and I am so picking up Quan. Sindel remains my main, but Quan looks too fun to pass up!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
You sure about that? I think what happened is the stagger off Sky Drop was reduced so Quan Chi lost his safe jump and people assumed the Rune Trap wouldn't work anymore, but eventually figured out that Quan Chi has still enough time to guarantee a 2,1,2 or 1,1,2 after Sky Drop. I don't remember it ever being entirely removed.
I guess you guys didn't see it. The first they they did was disable the skydrop reset entirely, curiously only after high damage combo strings. It was REALLY weird. If you landed B3 1+2 and by the end of it you hit 11skydrop, it caused your opponent to bounce up in the air and fly out of range from you afterwards. The rune trap was totally gone and the game seemed to go a little crazy when it happened. But then a little while later, they put it back and just shortened the advantage. I wonder if anyone else saw this???

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I just watched this whole video... Mayo, wow... just wow.

And yes, I would vote this as by far, the best video tutorial to date. Promotion on the way..

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Some side notes about a few decisions I made in this video. Mostly responses to the points that Krames brought up.

1). It is possible to hit the B2 1 after a rune/trance whiff in the damage strings, but the timing is very very strict. I didn't even bother mentioning that it was an option because I wouldn't advise doing it under any circumstance, ever.

2). It's true that doing a ground to air trance at a lower height can affect the time to whiff double trance, but I wasn't so much emphasizing that scenario as a tactic. More as a visual to aide with the understand of how 1 1 2 allows the mayo trap.

3). Yeah letting go of block to get hit by the 1 2 will stop quan from getting metter, and in effect give the opponent more meter, but it's not a 2% difference in damage. It's 5%. Blocked 2 is 2%, connected 1 2 is 8%. So that's 10% damage from the 212 string instead of 5%.

This method would only be effective when trying to stop Quan's meter building. If he already has the meter for the full Rune Trap, of course this will do nothing at all but make you eat more damage. Not to mention releasing block JUST to stop his meter building is super dangerous because if he comes in with a new combo string, you're dead. Really, it just becomes a great mixup opportunity in the middle of the Rune Trap. Stop his meter building and risk eating a brand new combo. It's a guessing game.

By the way, you really should try using the mayo trap. Try it out. You'll find that it feels reeeal satisfying.

Some side notes about a few decisions I made in this video. Mostly responses to the points that Krames brought up.

1). It is possible to hit the B2 1 after a rune/trance whiff in the damage strings, but the timing is very very strict. I didn't even bother mentioning that it was an option because I wouldn't advise doing it under any circumstance, ever.

2). It's true that doing a ground to air trance at a lower height can affect the time to whiff double trance, but I wasn't so much emphasizing that scenario as a tactic. More as a visual to aide with the understand of how 1 1 2 allows the mayo trap.

3). Yeah letting go of block to get hit by the 1 2 will stop quan from getting metter, and in effect give the opponent more meter, but it's not a 2% difference in damage. It's 5%. Blocked 2 is 2%, connected 1 2 is 8%. So that's 10% damage from the 212 string instead of 5%.

This method would only be effective when trying to stop Quan's meter building. If he already has the meter for the full Rune Trap, of course this will do nothing at all but make you eat more damage. Not to mention releasing block JUST to stop his meter building is super dangerous because if he comes in with a new combo string, you're dead. Really, it just becomes a great mixup opportunity in the middle of the Rune Trap. Stop his meter building and risk eating a brand new combo. It's a guessing game.

By the way, you really should try using the mayo trap. Try it out. You'll find that it feels reeeal satisfying.
Gotcha, thanks for explaining. And yeah, you're somewhat right about the damage; I rechecked the numbers and blocked 2,1,2 xx EX Rune is about 15% whereas blocked 2, connected 1,2 xx EX Rune is about 18%, maybe 19% (1,2 rounds to 7% and the EX Rune gets scaled to 9% by the connected 1,2). But yeah, I see the guessing game in there if the opponent starts doing that, and Quan has a few safe, hit-confirmable combo strings he'd be able to replace the 2,1,2 with (b+2,1 and 1,1,2 come to mind), so I can see why the opponent wouldn't want to do it often, though letting even a single hit through could mess up Quan's plans to build enough meter for an EX Rune like in the Mayo Trap. :( Maybe I'll still try it for a bit anyway to see how it goes if I play another Quan Chi. And I'll certainly try out the trap later (I bet it is satisfying) when I have time and should I remember it when the opportunity arises, but I don't use the 1,1,2 string often, though I probably should use it more, and I'm finding the two Trance whiffs to be rather strict at the moment(I'll work on it a bit more later), so I dunno when that'll happen.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Gotcha, thanks for explaining. And yeah, you're somewhat right about the damage; I rechecked the numbers and blocked 2,1,2 xx EX Rune is about 15% whereas blocked 2, connected 1,2 xx EX Rune is about 18%, maybe 19% (1,2 rounds to 7% and the EX Rune gets scaled to 9% by the connected 1,2). But yeah, I see the guessing game in there if the opponent starts doing that, and Quan has a few safe, hit-confirmable combo strings he'd be able to replace the 2,1,2 with (b+2,1 and 1,1,2 come to mind), so I can see why the opponent wouldn't want to do it often, though letting even a single hit through could mess up Quan's plans to build enough meter for an EX Rune like in the Mayo Trap. :( Maybe I'll still try it for a bit anyway to see how it goes if I play another Quan Chi. And I'll certainly try out the trap later (I bet it is satisfying) when I have time and should I remember it when the opportunity arises, but I don't use the 1,1,2 string often, though I probably should use it more, and I'm finding the two Trance whiffs to be rather strict at the moment(I'll work on it a bit more later), so I dunno when that'll happen.
It really isn't as strict as you think. It's totally a matter of rhythm. I'm nailing it every time. So is Dink. Using 112 for the mayo trap can be great because of doing a 11 poke and then immediately doing 112 to catch them when they let their guard down. Even if they block the 11, and the 2 hits them, the trap still works you just cant hit confirm it that way. Using 112 in the middle of rune traps is definitely nice because if they stop blocking, 112 gives sooo much time that you can go into EX trance if you have it and then do a damage combo, taking more damage than you would have if you finished the whole mayo trap. 2 Ex trances sandwiching a 212 rune. Talk about infuriating!

Essay

Noob
Awesome stuff. :top: The timing really isn't that hard at all. The 1,1,2,(ex)trance gives you so much time to wiff those other 2 trances. I'm totally breaking this out at my local tournament tomorrow.

Goldi

Noob
Brilliant and beautiful work, as usual. I always thought Quan double-trancing was just a troll move, lol. I never thought about it's meter building potential. Thanks again for a great Quan video!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Awesome stuff. :top: The timing really isn't that hard at all. The 1,1,2,(ex)trance gives you so much time to wiff those other 2 trances. I'm totally breaking this out at my local tournament tomorrow.
Great to hear! When people ask about make sure to send them here!

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
What I learned from this vid, 112 can be lead into 2 trances for more meter. That runes were nerfed meter wise. 112 into ex rune gives enough meter to earn the meter spent when you use 2 trances into 212 ex rune x2, you get the third ex rune at the end of 212. Anything else I should know?

Useful stuff, I'll try and use it. I already have the jip in the air into f1 2 trance down. Pretty easy.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
Instead of whiffing trance at the end of combos, I prefer to do far rune. So I'm still building a bit of meter, but also doing extra damage. Thoughts?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Instead of whiffing trance at the end of combos, I prefer to do far rune. So I'm still building a bit of meter, but also doing extra damage. Thoughts?
What strings are you using then? When I do B21 B21 B11 rune it whiffs. If you do just B1 rune it will hit, but its the same percent damage as using B11 and then the trance builds more meter than the rune would have.

and @ PANDEMIC. The Skulls were nerfed from the 15 uses to 27 uses for a bar. The Skydrop was nerfed from 22 to 27. But the rune and trance stayed the same, at 17 and 12 respectively.