What's new

Maximilian's issues with MK11

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
Yeah, a Baraka combo that takes out 95% of the opponent's health sounds … amazing. Such a pity they removed this feature.

I like Max, but I disagree with his 'fighting games must be broken and full of crazy shit' mentality, which I'm sure is the reason he loves Marvel vs Capcom so much.

I, for one, appreciate what NRS tried to do with MK11 (make it more like MK2 in terms of simplicity) and worked for me just fine. To each their own, I guess.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I think MK11 would be perfect if it had a better wake-up system, more combo paths for characters, and NRS would stop trying to make every character play like how you want through variations and instead try to develop characters with solid archetypes so we have more clear and focused gameplay diversity between the fighters.

There are some other things too, like better online rewards, cross-play, more decline options, etc, but I feel what said above are the main things that need changing, at least for me anyway.

I haven't touched online in forever and I haven't even played the game since a couple weeks after Terminator came out. I'll give it another try when Sindel comes out, but either this game gets stale quickly or NRS games just aren't for me anymore because despite being super hyped for the game it hasn't held my attention nearly as long as I thought it would have.

Yeah, a Baraka combo that takes out 95% of the opponent's health sounds … amazing. Such a pity they removed this feature.

I like Max, but I disagree with his 'fighting games must be broken and full of crazy shit' mentality, which I'm sure is the reason he loves Marvel vs Capcom so much.

I, for one, appreciate what NRS tried to do with MK11 (make it more like MK2 in terms of simplicity) and worked for me just fine. To each their own, I guess.
While Max does bullshit a lot with the dood hype crazy narrative, mk should be one of those games. At least in some way and simplified and toned down like mk11

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to keep the game simple. NRS has always tried to make fighting games that were simplier than the other ones out there so they could get new players and casuals to come in, which honestly is fine.

But the problem with the way games like MK11, SFV, etc, handle simplicity takes things a little too far with it in my opinion. Making inputs simpler, having linker windows bigger and no 1-frame links, that kinda stuff is fine. But when movesets feel too simplified there starts to be a problem.

Like for an example: it seems NRS gave up on trying to make wake-ups more balanced between the characters and just said "fuck it", and decided to make a simplified universal wake-up system for all the characters in the game. Maybe a bit much?

Last edited:
I think this game is fun for all the reason he said. I think that is why people get very angry when they lose in this game cause it is simple, making you realize it's your bad reads
And isn't that how it should be? You winning because of your ability, not using your character as a crutch just because they're safe on everything or have insane damage potential or unreactable 50/50s?

As much as the game is about the characters, it's a 1v1 fighter, and so long as it's reasonably balanced the player should be the one that dictates who wins.

Like for an example: it seems NRS gave up on trying to make wake-ups more balanced between the characters and just said "fuck it", and decided to make a simplified universal wake-up system for all the characters in the game. Maybe a bit much?
It may be a universal input, but each has their own nuances in frame data and hurtbox. It's simplified in terms of execution but you still need to be able to time it correctly and manage your meter.

Wasn't everyone complaining about Amplified moves changing from a single button to something unique to each move/character? Yet wake ups went the other way but apparently that's dumbing things down too much?

I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to keep the game simple. NRS has always tried to make fighting games that were simplier than the other ones out there so they could get new players and casuals to come in, which honestly is fine.

But the problem with the way games like MK11, SFV, etc, handle simplicity takes things a little too far with it in my opinion. Making inputs simpler, having linker windows bigger and no 1-frame links, that kinda stuff is fine. But when movesets feel to simplified there starts to be a problem.

There are definitely things wrong with a trend of simplicity because there aren't a lot of deve who can do it right including nrs. The inputs honestly couldn't get any simpler until they literally implement one button specials. They have ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM bringing in new comers and casuals. This is mk we're talking about. They will come. Some people try so hard for that when they literally came and they are still here.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
He's right.

Just about every variation in MKX felt like its own unique experience.

Even simplifying the experience aside, I have no earthly idea how we went from the end of armored launchers, with basically a 90 character roster, and only a select few true duds from a competitive standpoint...to the redundancy of what it pretty much Strike-Throw Krushing Blow Kombat.

I hope it changes, but I'm good if it doesn't.

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
The Man who is never using flawless blocks, fast crouch, footsies, Frame traps.... The Man who doesn't give a fuck about MK 11 rules and just randomly trying to do some combos in his kasual matches.... And still keep saying " ooo this is a very simple game, i don't like it bla bla".. get off... You are not playing MK 11.. you are cheating yourself.. i am not saying mk11 is the best MK, i am just saying this is not that easy because you are not fully able to understand this game and it's rules because you never uses them, or you cannot perform them, which means this game is hard and you cannot handle it and complaining.

Blade4693

VIVIVI
Dude I do not want MK to ever be anything like Marvel or DBFZ. I love Dragon Ball but those games are too much, you have so much shit flying across the screen from every direction with multiple characters hopping in and out of the screen doing all sorts of crazy shit and im just like bro wtf is this lol

The "craziest" fighting game I like is KI but even that seems simple compared to those 3v3 air dash fighters imo.

The Man who is never using flawless blocks, fast crouch, footsies, Frame traps.... The Man who doesn't give a fuck about MK 11 rules and just randomly trying to do some combos in his kasual matches.... And still keep saying " ooo this is a very simple game, i don't like it bla bla".. get off... You are not playing MK 11.. you are cheating yourself.. i am not saying mk11 is the best MK, i am just saying this is not that easy because you are not fully able to understand this game and it's rules because you never uses them, or you cannot perform them, which means this game is hard and you cannot handle it and complaining.
Did you say the game is hard when he called it simple and easy?

ruthlezz997

YOU TASK A THUNDER GOD!
MK11 would be perfect for me if Raiden was better than he currently is. He feels like he is still in beta. Come next patch,if he is machine as he should be game is literally perfection. MKX is for me,to this day,fucking garbage and nightmare.

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
It's weird how obvious it is to me that people in this topic didn't watch the video and are just saying shit to be able to say they had an opinion.

Anyone talking about how this game is "fundamentals intensive" is actually insane. This game is the exact opposite. That's why people dislike the game simplification aside. The depth that is supposed to be there because of footsies and characters range interactions ISN'T THERE BECAUSE JUMPING IS TOO GOOD, MOVEMENT IS TOO GOOD AND THE GAME IS ALL MIX. It's MKX2 with rearranged priorities. Like, if you're gonna make the game a shithead mix fest, it at least needs to be an engaging entertaining one. That's what Max is trying to say.

I just don't get this community lol

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
There are some feats that the that I've seen the pros do in this game that I have yet to see Max pull off, so I'll have to disagree with Max just a little bit there. He is on point with everything else, though.

I agree that they should have just said screw the variations and let us choose the moves that fit our play style best. Just balance the moves and use the point system that is already in place. Sure folks will choose the best move/character combinations but we're already doing so by choosing the best tournament variations for our characters. Tournament variations should just be removed but at this point it may be too late.

However, most players of this game remain unaffected by the tournament variation limits. 90% of the current MK11 players use custom variations and do not play the Kombat League at all.