What's new

Matt McMuscles: Bloody Roar Retrospective

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I was introduced to the Bloody Roar series rather late into the series with the Gamecube version of the third installment, called Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, which is still my favourite of the series. My personal fave characters of the series are Jenny the Bat and Xion the Unborn, because I'm a cringy edgelord fanboy with a weakness for femme fatales, vampires, demons and Dante lookalikes.

Though not active on many fora where Bloody Roar is in focus, I remember when hanging out a lot on the official Killer Instinct forum there were quite a few who shared their love for this franchise and pushed through for its return somehow, with many suggestions to how it could return, a lot of brainstorming and ideas thrown around. So there are definitely passionate fans out there who still have a certain love for Bloody Roar. I wonder if there are any on here who share the same passion for it.

Looking at the game critically, as much as I liked it... it was never a "good" fighting game, or should I say "deep". It was a casual button-masher with a gimmick, though if you took a bit of time to get into the game, you could pull off some cool moves and combos. However, the gameplay felt very stiff and the story premise was rather barebones - which is why I prefer the Gamecube version of Bloody Roar: Primal Fury, as it had anime cutscenes in the intro and the cutscenes.

Matt McMuscles retrospective of the series touched my nostalgia though, and I wanted to share it with you guys and see who else enjoyed the games. ^^

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Long main here! I adored the heck out of those games as a kid, I remember playing them for entire summers with friends. Even if it wasn't competitively focused, I still enjoyed the combos the lore and the transformations. Honestly, the whole concept of a fighter transforming into an animal was freaking badass.

Man, the nostalgia of looking through google image. I really wish they'd remaster it or make a 4th for next gen. That would be amazing.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
They made a 4th for PS2.
I had the 4th game, but for some reason it felt like a downgrade to Primal Fury, imo. Though I thought Nagi and Reiji were cool additions to the roster, they made the stages so much smaller and the cutscenes being in in-game graphics was a bad choice, imo. Not to mention the voice-acting being so incredibly bad (not that it was all that good in past games). Also the lacking of Cronos and Ganesha for some reason was an odd choice.

I really like Nagi though for her design, and that her beastform looked so much like the Witchblade anime version.

I had the 4th game, but for some reason it felt like a downgrade to Primal Fury, imo. Though I thought Nagi and Reiji were cool additions to the roster, they made the stages so much smaller and the cutscenes being in in-game graphics was a bad choice, imo. Not to mention the voice-acting being so incredibly bad (not that it was all that good in past games). Also the lacking of Cronos and Ganesha for some reason was an odd choice.

I really like Nagi though for her design, and that her beastform looked so much like the Witchblade anime version.
I was so jealous that primal fury was Nintendo only at the time, (I only had PS) it looked like the best one of the series. The anime sequences were killer. Also, how cool was cronos going from a penguin to a Pheonix.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I was so jealous that primal fury was Nintendo only at the time, (I only had PS) it looked like the best one of the series. The anime sequences were killer. Also, how cool was cronos going from a penguin to a Pheonix.
Yeah, I never owned a Gamecube myself, but had a friend who did and he introduced me to the Bloody Roar series with Primal Fury. I also wanted for the game to be out on other platforms, as I too had the PS1 instead and later a PS2. So when BR4 was announced for PS2 I was ecstatic... only to be disappointed by the many flaws/downgrades the game had in comparison. :/

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Probably one of the few threads that I'll actually watch and post later my thoughts of Bloody Roar.

But in short. . . Primal Fury was my game and Xion & Bakuryū the Iron Mole was my Mains.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
Omg I loved this game growing up.I always hoped it would be remade someday.Me and my cousins used to play this game for hours.My fav character was Bakuryu the Mole.He was swag asf.