What's new

Matchup Thread

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
Relatively new Aquaman player and reading as much info from you guys as I can (as well as watching vids), I have yet to see anybody discussing matchups (and if you have I missed it). On paper, who do you all feel he beats/loses to?

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Only losing match-ups so far in my opinion that I've played would probably be Ivy and possibly Attrocitus?
Deadshot is difficult since you can't punish anything with from the deep, you usually just trade but if he has blue bullets well then you're back to full screen where you don't wanna be. I don't however think it's a losing match-up, probably even.

Black Adam is really bad for Aquaman I'd say. Black Adam is just bullshit in general for most of the cast, easily top 3.

Otherwise Aquaman is pretty solid

Kooron Nation

Not 100% sure what makes it so bad, from what I've seen Aquaman just gets mauled up close when Attrocitus is pressuring with Dex-Starr, but on paper it doesn't seem too bad so maybe it's just too early in the game to figure out the match up?
From my understanding if you block the 50/50 while Attrocitus has Dex-Starr out you could probably trade a F2 or d2 to knock him down but you'd still get hit by the cat projectile, but it's now your turn?
@Godking Nori

Kooron Nation

@Godking Nori here is Pig (Attrocitus) vs. Dragon (Aquaman).
You'll see in this video Dragon loses pretty convincingly most of the time, but I also think that's due to Dragon not being familiar with the match up and not comfortable with Aquaman yet.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Atrocitus vs Aquaman is manageable. Aquaman wins the zoning war if atrocitus can't get trait out. Upclose it's pretty even from my experience and both are not really in good shape if knock down.
Ivy seems to be doable as well from my experience

Kooron Nation

Atrocitus vs Aquaman is manageable. Aquaman wins the zoning war if atrocitus can't get trait out. Upclose it's pretty even from my experience and both are not really in good shape if knock down.
Ivy seems to be doable as well from my experience
Gotta go in for Ivy though since her drills are safe and you get zoned hard when her trait is out.
But in F2/b2 range there's not a whole lot she can do, get her to the corner and GG's.
Her only wake up is that command grab which is easily baited/avoided and full combo punished.

For me, Black Adam amd Supergirl gave me the most problems. Supergirls laser and her laser from her in the air gave me problems. Plus her Meter Teleport is cancer.

Only losing match-ups so far in my opinion that I've played would probably be Ivy and possibly Attrocitus?
Deadshot is difficult since you can't punish anything with from the deep, you usually just trade but if he has blue bullets well then you're back to full screen where you don't wanna be. I don't however think it's a losing match-up, probably even.

Black Adam is really bad for Aquaman I'd say. Black Adam is just bullshit in general for most of the cast, easily top 3.

Otherwise Aquaman is pretty solid
Yea now that black atom can reversal punish from the deep with black magic (something he wasnt able to do in injustice 1) the matchup became a whole lot harder. Easily out zoned in the matchup now. Granted we can reversal punish black magic with from the deep however he gets lightning free. So he herasses us with that instead.

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
For me, Black Adam amd Supergirl gave me the most problems. Supergirls laser and her laser from her in the air gave me problems. Plus her Meter Teleport is cancer.
Black Adam is really the only troublesome one imo and u hv to knock him down if Aquaman is going to win. Supergirl her lasers are managable. Air lasers are a solid punish with ftd more often than not and pay attention to her trait meter as she can't keep zoning forever. The best way I found to block that teleport is hearing the sound cue. When the u start hearing the airplane sound effect on her tp that's when u move forward which I find helpful for blocking it though d2 on reaction works too since it'll knock her out before she can meter burn but wouldn't recommend the latter unless ur looking hard for it.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
I'm new too, but I think Harley can beat Aquaman, she's one of the few characters that isn't forced to play his game, as she has a thousand ways in past his zoning tools, and she's just flat out better up close than he is.

If it's not a losing match for him, it's certainly 5/5

Firestorm seems to give me trouble. It's a little tough to move in on him. Plus FTD is easily punished by is BD2. Labbing it out now. His only Overhead starter is F3 and his only low starer is BD2 MB. Best I can come up with is block low. The F3 is 28 frames. Try to get the fuzzy guard and don't disrespect the +6. Patience might keep him from opening you up. Definitely a character I need to practice against.

Anyone have any tips for fighting Batman? At midrange I do fine but at long range his batarangs just trade with my projectiles and at close range he demolishes me with that insane block pressure

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
In the Superman matchup there is a situation in the corner the Superman forum calls the Dive Bomb OTG (his d3 in the air.). This move hits overhead and can cross up if he is at the right height. There are two odd things about it as well. First, the game scales the damage like it would a combo if they do it over and over in a row. It also will beat any wake up option except for blocking it correctly.
A few questions here.
Is there another option anyone has found other than blocking? It is -30 on block so it is probably best to just stand block back and react if they go high up with a cross stand block.

Because he is floating some of the normal punishes don't work. Here is what I'm using, b2u3, 22xxmbDB2, b3, f2 1+3(sideswitch version) for 454.38 damage. Anyone have a more optimal option?

How have you all been dealing with this setup as Aquaman as well as the Superman matchup as a whole?

Same, Superman' s float and air laser completely ruins Aquaman' s zoning game. I'm trying to figure out if Aquaman can jump over an air laser and land into DB2 to punish on reaction.

Up close Aquaman beats superman in my experience, it's really when they start playing the air where it gets dicey. Same with Supergirl but her ground lasers speed and her float make the zoning game hard too

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
They key to the Supes mu imo is patience when fullscreen. His lasers are pretty slow and if he jumps in the air to do lasers it can easily be reacted to and punished with ftd and then we can get in and make our magic happen. Supergirl is tough for me. Unpredictability of teleport and her trait make fullscreen stuff tough. Silver lining is she doesn't hit hard and we can d2 some air dash shenanigans up close. Black Adam is aids

I haven't fought the best black adam's imo but in general I'm finding that once I get the life lead it becomes a lot harder for him. Granted all of the matches devolved into a projectile war which aquaman wins if he has life lead. You just have to watch out for a divekick once they figure out the zoning isn't working. Also, in the beginning of the match, best advice I have is block. Both of our best match openers in B1 and F2 either whiff or are slower that those advancing punches he has

Last edited:

Kooron Nation

I haven't fought the best black adam's imo but in general I'm finding that once I get the life lead it becomes a lot harder for him. Granted all of the matches devolved into a projectile war which aquaman wins if he has life lead. You just have to watch out for a sidekick once they figure out the zoning isn't working. Also, in the beginning of the match, best advice I have is block. Both of our best match openers in B1 and F2 either whiff or are slower that those advancing punches he has
Well Aquaman has one of the best D2's which can very easily stuff the first two hits of Adam's advancing f12 string, and also if you get hit and pop trait he might cancel into the black magic or electric cage thing, both of which you will be able to block with trait and full combo punish him, but other than that the match up is hard, but I think every character loses to Adam in my opinion, he is easily the best character in the game at the moment I'd say