What's new

[Matchup Discussion] Cyborg vs. Darkseid living guide

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
@Johnny Based Cage I'll be sure to practice against teleport when given the chance. I usually find my d2's getting stuffed by stomp, but since it's online it could just be my reactions. Usually I'm so conditioned to look for laser, by the time they do teleport my reaction to it is delayed and get curved stomped lol.

Also, what are some of your common match openings for Darksied? I think Emperor knicks uses jump back teleport as his go-to to start the match but I haven't have the chance to watch other players Darkseid footage yet. Most online players tend to just walk back or dash backwards.
KNICKS WILL EITHER JUMP FORWARD OR JUMP BACK INTO WHIFF J2 TELE EVERYTIME. GIMMICKY AF. A GOOD DARKSEID STARTS OFF THE MATCH WIT WALK BACK OR D2 AA IF THEY JUMP.

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
Because you generally don't have to deal with your opponent jumping in at you to start the match at a higher level of play the same way you would have to 9/10 times you play filthy casuals online, you might see some d3 openers when good players play eachother since Darkseid's sweep reaches at the start of the match. If the opponent does jump in though it's gonna be a bad time for Darkseid so that's best used sporadically at most.

And like Goonie said, jump-anything into teleport is really just a gimmick that works because people tend to flinch when Darkseid takes to the air. Patience will blow it up though. People just have to train themselves to react to air teleports whenever they aren't trait-covered, no matter what parlor tricks like whiffed jump normals the Darkseid is throwing out before them to distract.

Darkseid's best bet is to probably to generally open defensively and make space while getting ready to aa any overzealous opponents, while still also mixing in the occasional offensive opener like a d3 here or there to keep opponents in check.

UPDATE 4/8/2018
-New oki options added for tech roll and regular wakeup
-New section created calling "Zoning and Trade Situations" with new video

Also, I realized with at times jumping to air-to-air teleport doesn't work half the time

If Darkseid does j2 teleport into j2 stomp, Cyborg can easily air to air him. However, if he does j2 teleport into stomp, the tracking is off for some reason and Cyborg does his air attack in the opposite direction. So even if you read teleport, stomps hurtbox changes causing Cyborg to attack in the wrong direction. Trying to look for a consistent option to counter both

I was trying to D2, but that didn't seem to be working. Could easily be my execution though. I'm guessing I was too slow to react. When I get a chance I'll try and set something up in training to see if I practice punishing it. Would power fist work in that situation?
I actually just played some Darkseids recently. It's not your reactions, considering there are moments when I'm waiting for it, and still end up getting curved stomped.

It's a combination of Cyborg's d2 having shite range, and also the fact that Darkseid's hitbox changes when he does the stomp. It's really weird. Also when he does j2 (I think it's j2) he actually tucks his legs in making his hurtbox smaller. That's why d2 whiffs like 90% of the time.

I think the best option is to air-to-air with j1 going forward. It's been the most consistent.

Matchup Exploration va. Eldriken :D

Drills for later:
-punishing ground teleport on reaction (X10 in a row)
-punishing air teleport (X10 in a row)
-NB followed by MB roll to punish omega beam (test first...then X10 in a row)
-ducking omega beam and dash in (X10 in a row)
-Exploring counteroptions to ground laser
-Best counterpokes against f23
-Oki setups in the corner vs. Darkseid

Last edited:
Yeah i think i was watching protag during this set and told him that in the chat lol. I grapple on reaction and don't even deal with the mix up. If u get hit he doesn't get the combo. Only bad part is you give up on the gained space you had

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might
Yeah, that advice helped out a lot. I think I wasn't doing it because when I play the AI, it punishes grapple with up omega beam (it's a guaranteed punish).

Also, later in the set Eldriken delayed his usage of trait so I could just grapple, so I still need to watch the footage and find a legit counter. At some points it felt both would hit at the same time so I wasn't sure how to pushblock (or how I even got in that situation in the first place). That and the teleport are my primary weaknesses in this matchup.

Does this stuff apply if the instant air isn’t blocked ducked instead
That's a good question. I'll test it out today and upload some footage. Most of the Darkseid players tend to just hold back in this matchup since keeping Cyborg fullscreen works best for Darkseid in most cases, didn't even think of this.

@Kekoa might have a faster answer though just in case I don't get to it

@pretty flocko

So far from what I tested, it still applies if he ducks. The only scenario so far that didn't work was doing two IAFB from range 3 (it trades). From range 4 though it still works. I'm also not doing them as low as I possibly cantos even that can change.