What's new

Match Feedback?

Yesterday was my 2nd day of KL (so I’m only Kombatant rank and trash lol), but I had this good set against a Kombatant Kung Lao.

While reviewing it, I can’t help but feel that my game plan is too simple (which is partially on purpose as I like limiting my options when learning a new character so I can really fixate on using them properly and not overwhelming myself), but other than adding more strings like B131 and F234 (as well as a need to improve my hit-confirms and optimization, which is apparent in this set), I still feel like my future game plan would be really basic and I’d rely too much on D1/3/4s and throws.

Can anyone with a few minutes please review and let me know what kind of stuff I should be working on to grow from here?

Thanks!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
  1. Grabbing way too much while also being way too obvious about it. Every time you were at a certain distance and started walking forward, I was right assuming you were about to grab
  2. Missing out on key punishments such as his blocked spins, blocked dive kicks, and any teleport
  3. Too many random attempts at very unsafe moves (Square Wave)
  4. Minimal fan usage, especially air fans when he's jumping a lot
  5. End your combos with Square Wave instead of fan. More damage, can be amplified for even more, is Kitana's armor break so it will blow up any breakaway attempts, and knocks a long way away if not amplified allowing more zoning
  6. You sacrifice your turn on hit regularly. Should continue to pressure when you see that your poke or string has hit

1. Grabbing way too much while also being way too obvious about it. Every time you were at a certain distance and started walking forward, I was right assuming you were about to grab
  2. Missing out on key punishments such as his blocked spins, blocked dive kicks, and any teleport
  5. End your combos with Square Wave instead of fan. More damage, can be amplified for even more, is Kitana's armor break so it will blow up any breakaway attempts, and knocks a long way away if not amplified allowing more zoning
  6. You sacrifice your turn on hit regularly. Should continue to pressure when you see that your poke or string has hit
Awesome! Thank you for your feedback and time. I appreciate it! I’ll work on all of this.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Awesome! Thank you for your feedback and time. I appreciate it! I’ll work on all of this.
Adding some actually productive feedback instead of just "you did this wrong!"
    1. Grabs should be a little more strategic in using them as the can be easy to read. Moving forward, try to start throwing in random B14 / B13 strings whenever you're in that "couple steps away calm walk forward" mode that you kept doing. It'll help you stop being as predictable while simultaneously faking out your opponents because it LOOKS like you're going in for a grab again.
    1. His spin and dive kicks are 100% death on block. The spin can be a little trickier as he can choose to amplify it whenever, but the dive kick should always be a guaranteed full combo. Teleport punishes require a little more practice, but not a single option he has out of teleport is fast enough to beat out you simply standing into a quick jab (12 -> square wave for something simple). Don't waste these guaranteed combo opportunities by punishing with pokes, either.
    1. Don't square wave in neutral often or after your blocked jump kicks. Very dangerous
    1. Kitana is a zoner. Live it. Breathe it. Make them eat it. Pay close attention to their movement patterns and lock them down with fans accordingly.

Adding some actually productive feedback instead of just "you did this wrong!"
    1. Grabs should be a little more strategic in using them as the can be easy to read. Moving forward, try to start throwing in random B14 / B13 strings whenever you're in that "couple steps away calm walk forward" mode that you kept doing. It'll help you stop being as predictable while simultaneously faking out your opponents because it LOOKS like you're going in for a grab again.
    1. His spin and dive kicks are 100% death on block. The spin can be a little trickier as he can choose to amplify it whenever, but the dive kick should always be a guaranteed full combo. Teleport punishes require a little more practice, but not a single option he has out of teleport is fast enough to beat out you simply standing into a quick jab (12 -> square wave for something simple). Don't waste these guaranteed combo opportunities by punishing with pokes, either.
    1. Don't square wave in neutral often or after your blocked jump kicks. Very dangerous
    1. Kitana is a zoner. Live it. Breathe it. Make them eat it. Pay close attention to their movement patterns and lock them down with fans accordingly.
Nice! Thanks again!

Just de-lurking to give a double thumbs-up for doing this. OP--high-level players typically charge money to do match reviews and give lessons, so this was super generous!
Yeah, I’m super appreciative. Its great advice, and the set was like 11 mins, plus the time to type all that. Its awesome.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
For starters, learn HB :cool:

Jk, but for real, here's some general Kitana tips I use when playing her which is all the time these days.

• B2 is REALLY good to stagger. I know it's slow, but it's so good to bait a poke and whiff punish it. So, B2, walk backwards, B2 again. Mix her B2 ending with the U2 overhead as well. I know it's harder in fanfare cause you don't have a safe special to do on block but you can try fans on block it's like -6 to -13 for the amp so it's unsafe BUT if they don't punish it then use it, usually the second one wilh it them.
  • Her D1 is trash, BUT it's useful for its range and pushback. When you're in their face you want to use her D3 though as its 7 frames and you can condition to grab or back up and B2 whiff punish.
  • If you use B131 on block, it pushes you back a lot, so follow up with B14, if you catch them pressing buttons it's a KB for you, if you used it, confirm into combo.
From the video:
  • You were being a bit too patient and not taking your turn after a blocked poke. If you block a poke, it's your turn so take it. You want to use 12 (a bit more dangerous since it starts with a high), or B1 which is slower but a mid so safer.
  • After a jump kick, if they block it, try going for a D3 and then B142.
  • After you hit them with a d1, follow up immediately with 12 or B1 and confirm into a combo because, again, it's your turn even if they press buttons you have advantage.
  • When he does spin on block, 12 immediately. But sometimes they're cheeky and they will amp so be careful.
  • You also just need to work on your neutral in general, don't always stand there and block, use the space you have and use the tools you have to make space or take it away from your opponent. So like, D1 to push them away, then back up and use B2 or B1. Or use B2 to close in space quickly.
Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Yep! These things will sorta come naturally as you play. Just implement one thing at a time and you'll start seeing opportunities to use them or create opportunities yourself with neutral gameplay.