What's new

Match-up Discussion Martian Manhunter Match Up Discussion

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Teleport grants a full kombo so it's a risk-reward kinda deal.. As a Martian I'd use it for the komeback potential after konditioning or getting used to their habits.. Overall though, Martian kan win the match without it... Also, you kan tech roll Flying Uppercut and since you're expecting that punish, it's easy to do.

I mentioned MB Charge as well. It's a risk for Flash to use it. A greater risk than Martian using his overhead teleport.. He's risking meter and a full kombo punish.
True enough. On the MB charge, yeah, it's risky, but for what actions it can force out and merely the threat of it, it still has an impact there.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I still need the Bane match-up experience, but I have some theories I'm working on.
If you're on 360 I'd love to play you. My Bane is solid enough to give you some good MU experience.

Doomsday is 5-5 imo and could be in mmh favor down the road a lot of people don't know this, but if you wake up with close mb orb when doomsday does the wakeup reversal shit in the corner it comes out in front of you and will atleast give you free pressure if he doesn't mb b3

I like to turtle just outside shoulder range and mb b3 it on whiff, you have to sniff out his wakeups on knockdown and punish. Once you force him to respect the fact you can whiff punish his shoulder you have to randomly get into footsies range so he can't get armor out

Also the posting mb shoulder guessing game is in your favor, backdash counters jumps and at certain spacings down 1, if he reads your backdash his punishment options are dash forward or shoulder into mb, both these options are stuffed by down 1, shoulder on read, and dash forward on anticipation

also a lot of people respect doomsday WAY too much after a earth shaker on knockdown, he's only at frame advantage if he dashes forward and does D1 which is the easiest string to block earth shaker after, you can poke him if he does sweep or naked earth shaker, you just have to be wary of jumps, I am just saying he can be disrespected on occasion

bane is slightly in mmh''s favor in my opinion: you can force bane to go level 3 if you aren't afraid to spend a bar by placing a mb orb in front of him and shooting pillars, mb3 beats almost anything in the matchup (outside of mb b3) bane can actually be zoned when he's not in level 3 and orb placements aren't going to hurt, other than tha tyou can pick and pop, force them to try and make a read with charge a jump over that shit on reactioon

if you mix in teleport to your wake up game you can force him to guess on the timings and make him 2nd guess command grabbing, mmh gets off the ground better than about 80% of the cast in my opinion vs bane, ALSO a lot of players let bane dash forward way too much, i like to anticipate it by dashing forward on occasion myself... basically you block well, punish his shoryuken, check him with the occasionaly teleport on wakeup to blow up command grabs the risk reward is somewhat in your favor. then you have to rush him down during debuff, mb orbs can get you in for free

basically run away and be a dick, and try to force them to counter this and counter that strategy, hopefully you have good defense and can beat him in a war of attrition

STAGES are huge in that matchup

lex luthor you have to shut down trait with zoning that matchup needs to be explored more on my part but im convinced you can frustrate him with an extremely thoughtful zoning strategy with orbs

flash you have to turtle and out footsie, flash has a hard time playing footsies, dealing with jump aways and can't really cross you up with jump ins could be bad

shazam is not 5-5 in my opinion, its 6-4 mmh: if you turtle and bait and punish his moves ( teleport back 2 torpedo, forward dashes) he has an awful time getting in. you have to control spots on the screen with orbs and pillars (orb pillar orb pillar), force him to have to move backwards but anticipating his forward options with zoning moves because he can't zone you (not mb orbs they are only useful in pressure. his headbutt and teleport can be punished by down 1 or a well time standing 2 (on the teleport), and from long range by pillars or mb pillar

if you play relatively perfect shazam can't beat you, if you make mistakes thats when the matchup feels even because shazam is a douchebag on knockdown

What's the specific issue? I know he can punish pillars from super far out ranges and you can't really zone him at all unless you've put up a MB orb to restrict his movement.
despite the fact he can punish pillar, the 2nd farthest pillar he can't always punish, sometimes it will whiff and you can block, and he has to anticipate it and time his reversal perfectly otherwise you punish it

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
anyone got any hints for the AQ or BA mu? I got stomped by Theo online yesterday, won one match in like 20 games. No idea what to do. As for BA i dont have a lot of MU experience, do I want to go in or stay fullscreen

anyone got any hints for the AQ or BA mu? I got stomped by Theo online yesterday, won one match in like 20 games. No idea what to do. As for BA i dont have a lot of MU experience, do I want to go in or stay fullscreen
retaliate to blocked tridents with pillars to make him respect and even out the chip game, then occasionally shoot the overhead thing and you can jump out if he tridents

once you get meter you have can occasionaly retaliate with mb orbs to either apply quick pressure, extend your pressure, or even out the zoning game, I like to catch them with a mb orb on block so i can throw another regular orb and start zoning with orbs and forcing movement

try to keep the game slower paced so you can out footsie him with trait

martian slightly outzones aquaman so once you get a lifelead you can start predicting his dashes our offense and punishing

bait out moves by jumping towards air dashing backwards and occasiaonly overhead tping, teleport as little as possible until you can catch them getting impatient or trying to counter- your backwards movement game or force him to respect it then do other things, eventually they'll want to start trying jump 2 if you can frustrate them

Last edited:
don't rush down black adam you want to force him to come to you, that puts him at disadvantage, you have to jump backwards a lot, and at full screen a pillar is quicker them bmagik or lighting, control the air and outfootsie him with trait and your air dash

jump back 1 punishes air dash

don't teleport unless its a projectile punish or you are in footsies range and you have forced him to start trying to get in less is more

its similar to aquaman as it is an awkward match in which both characters to a lot of flailing around accomplishing nothing, the goal ground the lightning man because you have air superiority and once you ground him control the match with footsies orbs and eventually he's going to have to take risks and once you sniff out his risks then you can counter aggression

Ok so I played some games with Pig of the Hut last night & he beat me really badly. Outside of this set I played flipkev in a ranked match & Peckapowa a few times in a KOTH lobby the day prior to this, so this was one of my first times really playing against the character. From what I've heard this is a difficult matchup for Zod and from the games I played here are a couple of things I noticed:

When Zod calls out his trait MMH can punish with Instant Air Teleport
Zod doesn't have good wakeups & MMH can really take advantage of that and force Zod to block after a knockdown
I could only use pillars from full screen because at any other range Zod would punish with a Zod Charge
I don't know the inputs of the string but if Zod did one of his low starter strings into a laser MMH can interrupt the laser with a d1

As I kept playing it seemed like all I had to do was get a knockdown & I was in business, but that was hard in itself. Maybe it's because I'm just now starting to learn about fighting the character. And i'm sure there's a lot more points in the matchup that I missed, but what is it about this matchup that makes it so hard for Zod & not for MMH?

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Why does this entire thread not just say "use bf3 if they get close, throw out random orbs all the time and overhead teleport for your life"? :joker:

Krayzie

Safeties disabled. Krayzie mode engaged!
Ok so I played some games with Pig of the Hut last night & he beat me really badly. Outside of this set I played flipkev in a ranked match & Peckapowa a few times in a KOTH lobby the day prior to this, so this was one of my first times really playing against the character. From what I've heard this is a difficult matchup for Zod and from the games I played here are a couple of things I noticed:

Zod doesn't have good wakeups & MMH can really take advantage of that and force Zod to block after a knockdown
I could only use pillars from full screen because at any other range Zod would punish with a Zod Charge
I don't know the inputs of the string but if Zod did one of his low starter strings into a laser MMH can interrupt the laser with a d1

As I kept playing it seemed like all I had to do was get a knockdown & I was in business, but that was hard in itself. Maybe it's because I'm just now starting to learn about fighting the character. And i'm sure there's a lot more points in the matchup that I missed, but what is it about this matchup that makes it so hard for Zod & not for MMH?
You need to be patient and methodical about orbs, teleports, etc.

Also, if he gets the wraith out, just block enough until you get a chance to get an overhead teleport out. This allows you to waste time, and in turn render his wraith useless.

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion

Martian avoids most of his zoning. Zod doesn't get a free trait and can't play his keep away game. On knockdown every wakeup is stuffed. Zod is pretty much playing Martian's game and that makes Zod sad.

The Highlander

There can be only one
So, can anyone give me a list of all the times that MMH's teleport crosses up? I'm really sick of having to work that shit out on the fly...

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
So, can anyone give me a list of all the times that MMH's teleport crosses up? I'm really sick of having to work that shit out on the fly...
Teleport can crossup up after

F2 D3
Mb grab
pillar
F3
b13
F123
MB phase
Psionic Push

And if you play Wonder Woman or Superman:

Jump in attack cancelled into Ovverhead tele crossup. And after a blocked orb.

On knockdown, tech roll to avoid crossup teles.