What's new

Mad Catz Fightpad Pro with new d-pad

I wanted to buy the original one but I read the reviews everywhere and they said they were awful. Hopefully someone here can review this new version.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
@C-Sword @jmt @ILuvFightGames @Linkuei82 @Temetias

Okay, finally playing with this bad boy.

5-minute impressions:

-The ergonomics of the pad are damn good. It feels very good to hold both as a normal controller and with the claw style. I normally don't play claw style, but it feels very natural to use. The side of the controller where the buttons are is very comfortable, and the buttons are large enough and spaced out enough to where it just works. There's also raised areas on the back of the controller where your fingers curl around, so holding it normally doesn't feel nearly as unequal as the FC4. It's a fine controller to hold, no matter how you play. The Options and Share buttons are located below the face of the controller and aren't super easy to press, so accidental presses should never happen, ever.

-The d-pad feels wonderful off the bat. I'm a huge fan of the floating d-pad as is, so this is a little biased. It feels much better than the Hori FC4 so far for me. I didn't use the original d-pad, so I can't compare, but everything works as intended and isn't as unresponsive as shown in the video LTG put up showcasing the issues.

-Triggers don't feel as awkward as I expected. I can see this pad being very all-purpose for me just because of the triggers, too.

-The R1 and R2 face buttons have an awkward placement if you compare it to the FC4 or even the original Fightpads while holding it like a normal controller, but it's not as distracting as expected. Every button feels very much as reachable as other Fightpads.

-The thumbstick is still a little too close to the d-pad (was an issue with the original batch of Fightpads), and this would be a major problem if you couldn't toggle the stick to LS or RS. I had instances in SFV training where it would trigger the training mode settings if I had my thumb too far over and never noticed it until the training mode dummy did something different lol. It's a small quirk, but as long as the stick is set to RS, it shouldn't ever really interfere with your play.

-Might just be placebo, but the controller feels more responsive than the FC4, as if there's lower latency.

-One of my favorite things about the pad, though, is the touchpad. Man, you have no idea how annoying it is to try and reset practice mode in MKX with Options x2.

Overall, though, this pad is amazing. If you don't like analog triggers, it might not be a good choice for you, but if you don't care and need a pad that can last without demolishing your stock pads, go ahead and pick one up. They do cost just as much (I paid 80 for the pad + 1-day shipping...RIP), but the quality is definitely there. I'm so glad I jumped the gun and got it. I'll report back in about a couple weeks or so to confirm if any malfunctions occur (namely the O button sticking issue).

@C-Sword @jmt @ILuvFightGames @Linkuei82 @Temetias

Okay, finally playing with this bad boy.

5-minute impressions:

-The ergonomics of the pad are damn good. It feels very good to hold both as a normal controller and with the claw style. I normally don't play claw style, but it feels very natural to use. The side of the controller where the buttons are is very comfortable, and the buttons are large enough and spaced out enough to where it just works. There's also raised areas on the back of the controller where your fingers curl around, so holding it normally doesn't feel nearly as unequal as the FC4. It's a fine controller to hold, no matter how you play. The Options and Share buttons are located below the face of the controller and aren't super easy to press, so accidental presses should never happen, ever.

-The d-pad feels wonderful off the bat. I'm a huge fan of the floating d-pad as is, so this is a little biased. It feels much better than the Hori FC4 so far for me. I didn't use the original d-pad, so I can't compare, but everything works as intended and isn't as unresponsive as shown in the video LTG put up showcasing the issues.

-Triggers don't feel as awkward as I expected. I can see this pad being very all-purpose for me just because of the triggers, too.

-The R1 and R2 face buttons have an awkward placement if you compare it to the FC4 or even the original Fightpads while holding it like a normal controller, but it's not as distracting as expected. Every button feels very much as reachable as other Fightpads.

-The thumbstick is still a little too close to the d-pad (was an issue with the original batch of Fightpads), and this would be a major problem if you couldn't toggle the stick to LS or RS. I had instances in SFV training where it would trigger the training mode settings if I had my thumb too far over and never noticed it until the training mode dummy did something different lol. It's a small quirk, but as long as the stick is set to RS, it shouldn't ever really interfere with your play.

-Might just be placebo, but the controller feels more responsive than the FC4, as if there's lower latency.

-One of my favorite things about the pad, though, is the touchpad. Man, you have no idea how annoying it is to try and reset practice mode in MKX with Options x2.

Overall, though, this pad is amazing. If you don't like analog triggers, it might not be a good choice for you, but if you don't care and need a pad that can last without demolishing your stock pads, go ahead and pick one up. They do cost just as much (I paid 80 for the pad + 1-day shipping...RIP), but the quality is definitely there. I'm so glad I jumped the gun and got it. I'll report back in about a couple weeks or so to confirm if any malfunctions occur (namely the O button sticking issue).
Cool man thanks, I might buy this new version since I originally was going to buy the original. Thanks man.

Last edited:

Temetias

"MKX kid"
Haven't found any way to get this on EU... Amazon.de only sells the old one I think. Being a FG player on EU can suck sometimes.

THTB

Okay, so after about a couple weeks of playing, everything's still in working order. D-pad feels no worse than when I first got it, no O button sticking.

If this pad launched like this during the initial batch, MadCatz would have made some serious bank, because it's honestly better than the FC4 to me. All I need now is a Brook converter and I'll be able to play on anything (got a Titan One, but it's not allowed for whatever dumb ass reason... -_-).

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I knew about the dismal launch, but not that they fixed it. A little scary price wise, but sounds like it would be worth trying.

Do they look 100% like the old ones? I'd be a little worried someone would get them mixed up.

Reactions: jmt

C-Sword

Noob
I knew about the dismal launch, but not that they fixed it. A little scary price wise, but sounds like it would be worth trying.

Do they look 100% like the old ones? I'd be a little worried someone would get them mixed up.
Only the d-pad is different, make sure the listing says ''New Improved Dpad''

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
Okay, so after about a couple weeks of playing, everything's still in working order. D-pad feels no worse than when I first got it, no O button sticking.

If this pad launched like this during the initial batch, MadCatz would have made some serious bank, because it's honestly better than the FC4 to me. All I need now is a Brook converter and I'll be able to play on anything (got a Titan One, but it's not allowed for whatever dumb ass reason... -_-).
All I needed to hear. Thanks bro.

THTB

@Linkuei82 @C-Sword @Gooberking @Temetias @ILuvFightGames @jmt

Fightpad woes continue, guys. :(

After a month of play, the controller has, unfortunately, become unusable. A contact point on the d-pad snapped, rendering the entire d-pad useless. For those that bought it, sorry guys. Hopefully you guys aren't so unfortunate.

RIP MadCatz Fightpad Pro (August 13, 2016-September 14, 2016)

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Do you have an introduction video with it playing MKX, SFV, etc? Would love to see its gameplay.

BTW, do you have the vector to try making a custom design for this baby?

THTB

Do you have an introduction video with it playing MKX, SFV, etc? Would love to see its gameplay.

BTW, do you have the vector to try making a custom design for this baby?
Unfortunately, no. I should have done one before it broke. Bleh...

And I don't have a vector.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
@Linkuei82 @C-Sword @Gooberking @Temetias @ILuvFightGames @jmt

Fightpad woes continue, guys. :(

After a month of play, the controller has, unfortunately, become unusable. A contact point on the d-pad snapped, rendering the entire d-pad useless. For those that bought it, sorry guys. Hopefully you guys aren't so unfortunate.

RIP MadCatz Fightpad Pro (August 13, 2016-September 14, 2016)
Really? Damn. I was thinking about saving to get it, but glad you told me this now. Thanks for the update man. Had high hopes :(