What's new

Mad about Evo? Simple solution, GO TO COMBO BREAKER!

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Getting cut from Evo sucks ass, but it doesn't mean mk11 is anywhere near dead competitively. Instead let's support tournaments that actually treat us right. If you were planning on going to Evo this year but don't want to go anymore then I highly recommend making the trip out to combo breaker. I've been the last 4 years and it's been fantastic every year.

Here's the link to register
https://combobreaker.org/register/

Blade4693

VIVIVI
I don't attend tourneys so there isn't much I can do personally. I would love to throw my support behind MK in anyway I can so I guess the most I can do from home is tune it to the tourneys that will continue to have it on stream.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
People are waking up EVO isn't the biggest deal out there anymore.
As it shouldn’t be. EVO has always been more Street Fighter and Capcom centric, it’s what it was built on. That isn’t saying SF or Capcom doesn’t deserve it, but just that it shouldn’t be considered OUR annual end all be all championship. CEO and ComboBreaker are great, but we really need our OWN events ran by US! With the classic MK’s, all the NRS games, and the most recent NRS game (MK11 in this case) as the main event/finale.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
People are waking up EVO isn't the biggest deal out there anymore.
I don't know. It's still pretty much the biggest stage a fighting game can be on if we're looking at things on a global scale.

However, I think it's a valid point that EVO isn't the only big stage for fighting games anymore. A game isn't dead simply because it's not at EVO.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
I don't know. It's still pretty much the biggest stage a fighting game can be on if we're looking at things on a global scale.

However, I think it's a valid point that EVO isn't the only big stage for fighting games anymore. A game isn't dead simply because it's not at EVO.
I agree with everything here.

It is true that the EVO stage is massive, but for the past few years MK has either been early in the Sunday schedule, or pushed to Saturday (a late time at that). MK hasn't been a "main" game of EVO for some time. While it sucks that MK won't be there, and honestly I was pretty salty hearing the news, it isn't the end all be all. I feel as though, those people who will stop playing MK11 because it isn't at EVO didn't really want to play the game anyway.

I agree with the OP that ComboBreaker and CEO are a great offline tourneys that deserve attention. And with the the Kombat Cup going on, and the NRS Finals coming up soon, there is plenty to participate in, and look forward to.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter
Man I’d like to play a tourney but living in the ass of Russia and lack of tonnes of free time really prevents me from doing that. I can’t commit myself to playing the game 5 hours straight ESPECIALLY wifi.

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
As it shouldn’t be. EVO has always been more Street Fighter and Capcom centric, it’s what it was built on. That isn’t saying SF or Capcom doesn’t deserve it, but just that it shouldn’t be considered OUR annual end all be all championship. CEO and ComboBreaker are great, but we really need our OWN events ran by US! With the classic MK’s, all the NRS games, and the most recent NRS game (MK11 in this case) as the main event/finale.
I’ve had this idea in my head for so long, why isn’t this a thing yet lol.
UMK3, MK9, Injustice, MKX, Injustice 2, MK11 tourneys as main stage
MK1, MK2, 3D era games, MK VS DC as side tournaments
That would be tons of fun, and is basically how EVO started but with SF.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter

That's cool, although I'm not sure how well a strictly NRS centric tournament would go. To me one of the strong parts of EVO was that over time it incorporated and exposed people to a variety of games and brought together a variety of communities. What about adding in a game like Killer Instinct on the main stage?

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Don’t forget MKT!

I think we could build this as an annual MK world championship (it would just be the name, obviously Injustice would be included). It would start small, but so did EVO. EVO started out with so few entrants, I think it literally started in MrWizard’s basement or something. Hell you could even call it the MKWC (Mortal Kombat World Championship).

Sugarwatermixlegit

Bruce Campbell 4 MK!!!
That's cool, although I'm not sure how well a strictly NRS centric tournament would go. To me one of the strong parts of EVO was that over time it incorporated and exposed people to a variety of games and brought together a variety of communities. What about adding in a game like Killer Instinct on the main stage?
Its funny, right after I posted that I thought KI would be a great main stage addition too lol. I agree, putting in some other franchise games would be the smartest idea.
Don’t forget MKT!

I think we could build this as an annual MK world championship (it would just be the name, obviously Injustice would be included). It would start small, but so did EVO. EVO started out with so few entrants, I think it literally started in MrWizard’s basement or something. Hell you could even call it the MKWC (Mortal Kombat World Championship).
For sure! I could definitely see something like that working out, but as stated before I think throwing in some non-NRS games would be a really smart idea (KI comes to mind, I'm sure there are others that fit the bill too). Obviously MK would still be the theme though, and the focus.

Wish I had money to fly to the US and attend. I planned on going to Vienna but I'm not even sure if that's gonna work since I have to save up for Japan.

No offline groups around here either. It's pretty much either you play SFV or Tekken or you're shit out of luck. I'll probably go to the Krefeld Tekken tournament though, because that's half an hour away from me and I can meet Ryan Hart and Knee.

DeftMonk

Noob
EVO 2020 as of few hours ago still hasn't been announced that its part of the capcom cup.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
Yeah I remember watching a Tekken stream talking about how many games are doing World Tours and Cups now. That is why a game like Skullgirls and Brawlhalla are still going because the devs support the game and community gives a fuck.

Yeah, it's big but people are starting to not like how it is trying to censor things. Mr. Wizard is also trying to control how people react. EVO is losing its soul.

YES! Go to CB.

I made a thread about it here: https://testyourmight.com/threads/combo-breaker-2020-may-22-24.72522/

A lot of us are going. Come chill.
I live here and I loved the first year I went. I'll be heading back as the new venue is much closer to my place.

Last edited: