What's new

Question Lvl. 1 Trait

Galactic Geek

Losing is learning; winning is succeeding.
So, I was reading through the Initiation Handbook to see if I could learn something new that I didn't know before - I did, but only to my dismay.

According to Lex Luthor's power description in the moves list, his shield is supposed to give 25% damage reduction at lvl 1. According to the Handbook, you instead take 25% MORE damage at lvl. 1 trait. I tested this in practice mode, & sure enough, the latter appears to be true. Now, despite this being new to me, I know it's likely really old news for most of you (after all it was in the Handbook). The reason I'm starting this thread is to simply ask: why?

Is it a glitch? If so, why hasn't NRS fixed it yet? Will they fix it with the Oct. 1st patch (I certainly hope so)? This to me seems like a glaring over-sight that further weakens Lex's capabilities. Or is it meant to be there as a balancing factor & is simply wrong in the descriptive text? If that's the case, then I completely disagree with it because Lex is already seen as fairly low-tier character as is... And again, if that's the case, why haven't they fixed the text accordingly (but then again, they need to fix A LOT of things in the text)?

I'm just trying to understand how something like this could get past an entire professional development team that's been making fighting games for years, especially since it's been known by the fighting game community itself for so long...

NRS, you make more mistakes in your games then you should & I'm upset with you for that lack of polish.. Heck, you guys can't even spell-check properly in many of the character's story texts. Shame on you! You can do better.

Its not a glitch, it is intended. They just simply did not adjust the description once they made that change pre-release.

As for not all the practice mode descriptions being correct, NRS has made the ONLY fighting game that currently gives in-game frame data and descriptions for all special moves. It is also the best practice mode in any fighting game on the market, and has enough features that players can EASILY find any issues with the provided information and take note of that.

So give NRS credit where it is due. All fighting games are going to have some bugs.

As for trait, I would have liked to see the damage reduced at level 1, however it is not that bad. The only severe issue is taking damage from an interactible with level 1 trait.

Besides, level 1 shields make pretty much everything the opponent does punishable by Lex at close range. It also makes corp charge much safer, because the opponent needs to get 2 hits in before Lex can block the second hit or punish the first hit. I dont mind taking an extra 2 percent damage if it is going to let me get an easy 30+ damage and an additional setup.

I think you are a bit pessimistic about Lex. Even if you are not new to Lex Luthor, I suggest checking out the Lex video thread and watching whats there.

Galactic Geek

I may not be in the deep end of the pool when it comes to fighting games, but my understanding of the situation now is that Lex takes more damage at lvl. 1 because of the damage scaling.

IMO, damage scaling is stupid. I think that if someone should get 10+ hits for example, they should be rewarded for it in damage since it's likely harder to do, not have it do less damage than a combo that has fewer hits. To counteract it, they simply should add more ways to counter big combos. In any fighting game, damage should be measured out properly from the outset so damage-scaling doesn't have to be used.

You also have to remember, I WANT his corp charge to be safer, at least on block. It may not be balanced, but Lex - as smart as he is, is currently sitting towards the bottom of the gene pool when it comes to the superheroes & villains in this game & I think needs quite a few more fixes than they're letting on for the Oct. 1st update.

Shields by definition prevent damage or reduce it, not increase it, so his trait should bloody act like 1!

One way this could be potentially balanced out is to have it reduce the damage as it says in the in-game text description (25% for lvl. 1, 50% for lvl. 2, & 100% for lvl. 3), but have lvl. 1 trait flinch much like Doomsday's trait does. It'll absorb the hit, but still allows for minimal hit stun. In this regard it'll still be great for countering throws, hard knock-downs, etc. exactly like Doomsday (but for only 1 hit).

NKZero

Noob
Lex is honestly fine the way he is. Besides, it's extremely rare that you'll find yourself with level 1 trait. You should always be aiming for level 3 and if you need to cancel a little quicker than usual you'll be on level 2.

Its not a glitch, it is intended. They just simply did not adjust tge description once they made that change pre-release.

As for not all the practice mode descriptions being correct, NRS has made the ONLY fighting game that currently gives in-game frame data and descriptions for all special moves. It is also the best practice mode in any fighting game on the market, and has enough features that players can EASILY find any issues with the provided information and take note of that.

So give NRS credit where it is due. All fighting games are going to have some bugs.

What about DOA and VF?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
I think the description might change in the new patch, it's just not listed under character-specific patch notes. Paulo stated that NRS is aware Level 1+2 descriptions are wrong and might update it. Hopefully they'll fix all the wrong frame data/info in this one.

Thead

Noob
Galactic Geek You should never have Level 1 Trait. Whenever you use Trait, HOLD the Trait button and immediately dash Forward/Backwards, as long as you're holding the Trait button, it will still charge the Trait to level 3, just make sure you're holding the Trait button down still.

This is often referred to as Trait Dash Cancelling.

To make it easier for pad players, have Trait be one of the Shoulder Buttons, makes it easier to dash and attack while still holding that Trait button.

Galactic Geek

Thead,

I appreciate the advice, but you just told me something I already know... ;)

I will admit though that I'm getting a lot better with Lex (& pre-patch to boot!). I've learned how affective it is to consistently do hit & run attacks with Lex. If you're opponent is aggressive, say with Flash or Catwoman, the probe & especially the mine are your best friends. For players that love to dash in, you can consistently hit them with j3 to keep them in check too. I love to constantly retreat, set up, & move in for the attack. Most (but not all) players will stay back once the mine is on the ground, which gives me breathing room for any number of options, such as probe & orbital (for those pesky turles), a shock charge (for projectile trades), or I could ignore the mine entirely & rush them down while they cower in fear.