What's new

Match-up Discussion Lui Kang problems

arydious

Noob
Ok so Kang is been a beast against me. One of my buddies picked him up and he has been taken me to town with him. I hate that low kick start. I know Kang has no overhead starts but the JIP is basically just that, an overhead start because it hits a crouch block person. As Smoke i get stuffed on just about everything and it seems like my only tactic is to smoke away and drop smoke bombs.

Anyone got some advice for this poor guy here

Ok so Kang is been a beast against me. One of my buddies picked him up and he has been taken me to town with him. I hate that low kick start. I know Kang has no overhead starts but the JIP is basically just that, an overhead start because it hits a crouch block person. As Smoke i get stuffed on just about everything and it seems like my only tactic is to smoke away and drop smoke bombs.

Anyone got some advice for this poor guy here
d1 after the low starting string. if he carelessly rushes you, chain d1 into smokebomb

arydious

Noob
will it really hit the low start is followed by so many fast attacks. I guess d1 is quick as hell and i need to try something rather then sitting there and eating chip damage.

Liu Kang does have an overhead starter, 2,1,3 or he can use f3 to start his low kombo. So don't get stuck trying to crouch everything. But your d1 or your d3 should stop his low string every time. try to keep some space between you and him and use your parry to counter his fireballs.

Also don't get predictable with your teleports because he can parry them and a ex parry will lead to a full kombo. Also don't let him corner you because Liu can keep the kombo going over and over if you can't guess right.

Keeping your distance with smoke away and smokebombs is always good. When that doesn't work, try to engage him from medium distance with attacks that have range, like D4, trip, and B23 (which you can cancel into either smoke away or smokebomb). Don't forget that enhanced smoke away/towards or enhanced shake can get you out of pressure.

Also, Liu Kang's wakeups are complete crap. You can cross him up on a knockdown for free unless he does wakeup counter, or you can low poke him no matter what he does. If he whiffs a wakeup over your head, you might be able to snag him with a smokebomb while he recovers.

Lastly, Kang's 213 only ends on an overhead, so it's still a better idea to crouch block the first hit of a block string and then poke him out of doing a second string.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
Keeping your distance with smoke away and smokebombs is always good. When that doesn't work, try to engage him from medium distance with attacks that have range, like D4, trip, and B23 (which you can cancel into either smoke away or smokebomb). Don't forget that enhanced smoke away/towards or enhanced shake can get you out of pressure.

Also, Liu Kang's wakeups are complete crap. You can cross him up on a knockdown for free unless he does wakeup counter, or you can low poke him no matter what he does. If he whiffs a wakeup over your head, you might be able to snag him with a smokebomb while he recovers.

Lastly, Kang's 213 only ends on an overhead, so it's still a better idea to crouch block the first hit of a block string and then poke him out of doing a second string.
Typed like a pro smoke GJ