What's new

Low Profiling 101: 1,000 Ways to B3

TamedLizard

Buff George
Hellooo my beautiful Catwomen (please don't lynch me <3), and welcome all other TYM brethren! Today I bring you a very special treat - a detailed look at the magnificent wonders of Catwoman's hitbox! As a Selina main, I've had some incredibly strange things happen in matches; Both while playing with, and against her. So I decided to take an in depth look at these situations to create a chart specifying which normals and specials she can exploit using her hitbox, as well as which of her tools she can use to do so. And I personally thought the results were incredibly interesting so I thought I should share. Before you read the list, a few things to note -

• Highs have been completely omitted. This chart is comprised of all mid, overhead, and low attacks she can low profile in the game. This will include how, and will also be color coded to show if there is a special and/or range requirement.
  • Many of these will not be viable low profiling tactics. But for the sake of creating a list of data that was complete, accurate, and informative as possible - I thoroughly tested all of her suspected low profiling tools against the entire roster's normals and specials.
  • This chart does not include jump normals. Testing on jump normals was abandoned half way through the cast. I felt there were just too many variables to take into account to really matter or even warrant interest for in high level play. Distance, screen position, height, active frames, ect. Though the few I did test, I tested with respect to the jump in's optimal range and hit it as deep as possible kappa. Some info on these results can be found down in Observation & Notes.
  • Strings and Throws were not tested. This was purely a look at the game's normals and specials (so stuff like Bane, Scarecrow, and Cheetah's mid command grabs were included).
  • Most normals and projectile specials were tested in a neutral state. There were some normals that were tested on wakeup (like D1s and D2s to insure I was able to test all possible ranges of said poke or uppercut) or, of course, if a move was a special and could be used as a wakeup.
Color Key: Moves that are color coded on the chart require either one or more specific conditions.
Default - Moves listed in black are the most consistent moves that can be low profiled regardless of range.
Red - Moves listed in red can only be low profiled at their maximum range.
Green - Moves listed in green can only be low profiled at point blank range.
Blue - Moves listed in blue are obscure cases. Most of these are breathing hitbox inconsistencies, but some either require a very specific distance to succeed/fail, or are just extremely finicky and hard to do.

Ladies and Gents, I give you...

1,000 Ways to B3 -

Observations & Notes -
-"Punish" notification was the certification of low profiling in tested moves. Characters were being hit out of recovery frames (whiff punished), not startup (Counter), because she used a low profiling normal. This is true throughout this entire chart. Only exceptions listed are mid projectiles tested against her normals from a variety of ranges where she wasn't hitting the opponent.

-D1 and why I chose to include some of
it: In some (albeit rare) cases, D1 was a pretty good tool for quickly D1ing under a mid projectile to avoid being caught because you didn't time D2 correctly (Red Hood MB BF2), because you were in recovery of D3 (Fate DB1), or because you were holding or cancelling B3. D1 was also a curious phenomena when it came to jump normals. Because of the way she lowers and moves her hitbox forward, she was able to make quite a few jump ins whiff even if they were hit as deep as I possibly could hit them on Catwoman in a crouch block state without whiffing. Some examples include Beetle J1, Flash J1 & J2, all Ivy jump attacks, all Deadshot jump attacks, and an interesting one was Lantern J3. Most of these she could also B3, but there were a few oddballs that succeeded in doing things that even B3 could not, such as Lantern J3, or Harley J2. So just for the fun of the experiment, I chose to include D1 for some of it's more practical purposes instead of the extremely situational stuff.

-More on jump normals: Jump normals were ultimately abandoned during testing because I was getting a lot of inconsistent (and frankly, pointless) information. The reality is, nobody should be trying to jump on Catwoman's D2 or 5f J1 without going in with some sort of hit or block advantage, or unless you have a way to mix up air options such as an air dash or leap. So I did not see the necessity in including data that had so many possible variables. Plus, few of the scenarios I tested ended in positive situations. Most characters recovered in time to block a B3, and D1 making the attacks whiff basically just returned both players to neutral.

-Practicality is completely up for trial and debate. In my honest opinion, a lot of the B3 data is relatively easy to pull off with just a few spare moments in the lab. But I'm sure we've all had one or more of our normals low profiled by something other than B3 at some point, especially when fighting a D1/D2 masher. So I encourage further testing to everyone who is interested. If you as a Selina main think you have the timing execution to D2 Flash's LK from point blank range and the balls to risk the 500 damage corner carry; or happen to face a Swamp Thing that likes to F3 from point blank range so you can B3 - Be my guest lol.

-Basic conclusion and final thoughts: B3 was ultimately the most optimal (and consistent) tool in the majority of low profiling cases big surprise hey. Even in cases that D2 and D3 were consistent, and could be used in lieu of B3, they usually still needed to be timed because the window of her lowered hitbox is fixed unlike her B3 and CS since she can hold those positions. Most timings are not too difficult regardless though and those that are, are color noted as such. I still think taking a hard look at the sheer amount is incredible lol, and I guess anything could happen so maybe someone can put something unconventional into use from this.

Here's a few video examples of some of the more silly stuff

Hope you guys like. Sorry for endless texts, tried to make it less boring :3. If you guys have any questions or think anything might be suspect, please feel free to ask about it! All in all I actually had a lot of fun doing this, and believe it was for sure worth the experience. I learned quite a bit tbh. I'll share my mental experience through the process -

Stay true mids...stay true.

@Sage Leviathan
@masherofbuttons
@Laos_boy
@EMPRESS_SunFire
@Kooron Nation
@Rex24
@@MylesWright_
@Sazbak
@Sir Snibbor
@Espio
@champdee
@Wazminator
@other Catwomen/others interested

:)

edited & promoted by HellblazerHawkman*

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy KO

*insert kotal kahn gibberish here*
Ketchup just put out a video talking about the meta game of UMK3 and apparently lows and low profile moves in that game can be crushed by up close mids. Why that was ever taken out of future games, I may never know.

Now seriously!. maybe this time that will make NRS discard the whole female hit box on female and midget people characters.... Nah!:p. I don't think so.:DOGE

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Now seriously!. maybe this time that will make NRS discard the whole female hit box on female and midget people characters.... Nah!:p. I don't think so.:DOGE
What NRS needs bring transparency in their games and stop giving favoritims to characters which are also favorite of QA on their team. Its not the first time and it doesn't surprise me.
Kitana got an huge jump arc with a super weird jump attack which could hardly be anti-aired by normals, now catwoman has a b3 that low profile mids.

Next game a lot of ppl will play a character a QA enjoy the most because its destined to have disgusted stuff which no one else but them think its super fine in the game.