What's new

Lotus Orb is +on block

elephantvision

Your Cousins, Sisters, 1st cousins favorite gamer
So... for those that don't know (i haven't seen anyone talking about it really) Lotus orb is like +47 on block IF you do the orb outside of a hit or outside of a string.
What I've been doing is using orb hat in the neutral and walking at the opponent. This sets up so so much shit.

1 of 3 things usually happens
  1. Orb hat hits you go into F4 combo for 376 dmg
  2. Orb hat is blocked, you still get the free F4, if the F4 then hits you can go into a 324dmg combo
  3. Orb hat is blocked, you still get to do the F4 freely and if they block that also then...... at least your're still safe and can continue on with grabs and d3's.
it's fuckin +48!!

There is some nice stuff you can setup off Orb and dive kick, but be super cautious with it. If you ORB in the neutral and then dive kick the opponent may BLOCK your dive kick and when they try to punish the hat will hit them. The problem is the game still registers that you're in negative frames from the dive kick. So even if you dive kick in with orbs and they block the dive and the orbs hit...DO NOT try to convert off that hit.. you are in MASSIVE negative frames and will be punished.

I've COMPLETELY dropped Zhat now. This variation is fuckin INSANE. When you can make your every poke and every punishable string a hell of a lot safer... I'm all for it. I genuinely feel this variation has a lot more to offer than Zhat.

This, THIS is what the Lotus Orb variation is about, fishing for THIS combo. It needs no introduction ha.

1st Combo, F1xxOrb, Only Enough Meter For One Orb Hat. 2nd Combo, Punish String, Only Enough Meter For One Orb Hat. 3rd Combo, Full Punish String Using All Meter.(edited)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
I switched from lotus fist to Zhat for two reasons. 1) In a set, it's just too expensive. It's a major double edged sword and cripples you defensively. 2) Having the Z hat on Oki is just a really good mind game leading to a strike throw if they respect it.

Orbital Hat is amazing, don't get me wrong, I was just getting tired of getting bulldozed and having to manage the meter for it.

elephantvision

That 430 dmg combo i posted same one first week of the game ;).
I like lotus fist alot but hes so damn expensive lol.
Nice man! I missed it.
Ya know, I'm not sure if I agree with the "it's to expensive" conversation anymore. That is everyone's go to conversation about Lotus. The way I feel is, first, meter builds back automatically so there's that. The second is Orb hat on Oki is incredibly strong as well, the downside being that it doesn't really stop any U3 that I've seen. Overall, the most important thing about this variation is you can make your every single button and string safe. That is HUGE. Not only safe but, if they attack when you do toss out Orb you're about to get a 330+dmg combo with ease.

Lot's of high level players are using Lotus right now and I definitely think there is something to be said about that.

My final thought is..... don't need meter to break when you're winning :)

Illmatix

Remember, representing ermac is illmatic.
I've finally achieved god rank thanks to this variation, I can't believe they buffed it, it was already really good, I'm so glad I started using him before the patch, now he's insane. I also recommend abusing his j3 as you can set up a strike throw mixup on block and hit confirm into big damage in the corner pretty easily, also you can get a midscreen meterless combo that sets up the safe divekick in to maintain pressure. I have a setup that sets up a hat call on oki and it hits them right when they get up. If they u2 they get stuffed , even geras. If it hits I can convert with the j3 for full combo, if blocked I jail a strike throw. Jumping pretty much avoids most options, very strong oki indeed.

The reason this variation is insane is his now safe and easily hit confirmable 10 frame lunging mid, it is absolutely crazy the options he has with this string in this variation.

Last edited:

DeftMonk

Noob
I was pretty excited when I saw the buffs to this variation but... I dunno about ur put on the hat and willy nilly prance in method. I triedd that a few times and just got welcomed by advancing strike to full combo in my face a few times and quickly moved on lol.

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
I've finally achieved god rank thanks to this variation, I can't believe they buffed it, it was already really good, I'm so glad I started using him before the patch, now he's insane. I also recommend abusing his j3 as you can set up a strike throw mixup on block and hit confirm into big damage in the corner pretty easily, also you can get a midscreen meterless combo that sets up the safe divekick in to maintain pressure. I have a setup that sets up a hat call on oki and it hits them right when they get up. If they u2 they get stuffed , even geras. If it hits I can convert with the j3 for full combo, if blocked I jail a strike throw. Jumping pretty much avoids most options, very strong oki indeed.

The reason this variation is insane is his now safe and easily hit confirmable 10 frame lunging mid, it is absolutely crazy the options he has with this string in this variation.
f1 wasnt safe before? im confused

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink

Can you make a video of this setup on wakeup?

Illmatix

You can hitconfim in any variation from f13, and u can make it safe but then u create a gap wich can be flawaless blocked.
No you cannot, you can neutral duck the u2 and D2 KB it for big damage, also hat toss is also punishable.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
No you cannot, you can neutral duck the u2 and D2 KB it for big damage, also hat toss is also punishable.
Its similar to Raiden in that all of your options in zhat after f13 are punishable, but your opponent has to guess which one. They have to guess between u2, hat toss, amp spin, and zhat. Neutral duck is almost always the worst option for the opponent, fyi.

Illmatix

Its similar to Raiden in that all of your options in zhat after f13 are punishable, but your opponent has to guess which one. They have to guess between u2, hat toss, amp spin, and zhat. Neutral duck is almost always the worst option for the opponent, fyi.
The point I'm making is in lotus fist you have a -4 mid you can end with.

Pygmy_Potato

BF4+FF+BLK
The point I'm making is in lotus fist you have a -4 mid you can end with.
Something to keep in mind - if they're cr blking F13 often the hat orbit will whiff -- which can be useful for Lao, except some characters can actually punish Lao when this happens. Examples being Johnny's F3 and most memorably Scorpion's F34 KB. So even in Lotus Fist, sometimes you can't make F13 safe :/

Illmatix

Something to keep in mind - if they're cr blking F13 often the hat orbit will whiff -- which can be useful for Lao, except some characters can actually punish Lao when this happens. Examples being Johnny's F3 and most memorably Scorpion's F34 KB. So even in Lotus Fist, sometimes you can't make F13 safe :/
Yes but is always safe in the corner, and sometimes midscreen, and this creates hesitation and on block sets up the hatcall for unintentional pressure situations if it does go unpunished.

Btw what do you guys think of my setups.

elephantvision

Yes but is always safe in the corner, and sometimes midscreen, and this creates hesitation and on block sets up the hatcall for unintentional pressure situations if it does go unpunished.

Btw what do you guys think of my setups.
very nice setups, the oki parts are the best. Are you in the Lao discord? You should be, lots of normal discussion about Lao there.

DeftMonk

Noob
You can hitconfim in any variation from f13, and u can make it safe but then u create a gap wich can be flawaless blocked.
Just saw this. F13 is like -13 or some shit. If you continue the string you get blown up by anyone that knows anything without any sort of need for flawless block. All other options can by fuzzyd.