What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Of course, but just saying a lot of his problems are pretty obvious at this point as well you know?
Yes, and some of them are covered by this variaton as well. Only while writing my previous post did I notice the fact that db4 MB covers some gaps, this gives us more offensive options even with the horrible combo potential.

There are still many things to discover even in an incomplete variation like this. Feel free to complain or come together and collaborate with what we have at the current state.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
[
Yes, and some of them are covered by this variaton as well. Only while writing my previous post did I notice the fact that db4 MB covers some gaps, this gives us more offensive options even with the horrible combo potential.

There are still many things to discover even in an incomplete variation like this. Feel free to complain or come together and collaborate with what we have at the current state.
I think we've all complained honestly about something regarding Raiden lol, but yeah even though it's old I did discover the teleport cancel tech which I definitely use. I don't always see people doing it in TW but it's a great tactic to confuse people especially if you can master doing the one cancel then cancelling the second port with his away teleport. That takes some practice, but it's great if you have the life lead especially and they have to chase you down lol. His rare skin is out right now btw.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
There are actually two problems. I tested again with the following setup against D'Vorah: 3,2~bf3 MB; 2,1; 2,4,3~db2 backdash db4~b MB. It was enough to give me time to set up the Rod, but the little pushback of her u3 was enough to push me out of my b2's range (problem 1), and causing the bolt to fire and I lose the double b2 setup (2). So I tested the same combo with the Rod behind her and it's like there is nothing, no additional effect as she's outside of the Rod's threat area. We need to find a way to put the stick at the exact distance before we get to the wall, so it will activate at the right time.
I mean, if you can get them with a combo it means they probably don’t have breakaway anyway so you can worry about less wake-up options. If they do have meter then you can read they will wake up and just bait it out and continue your pressure. It’s meter intensive sure but it’s not like Raiden doesn’t have a safe 11f mid that you can stagger with... What I don’t really understand is when you say the bolt fires does it hit them? If it does then it’s win-win for us. Either they sit and take the mix-up/pressure or they try to wake up and waste resources and get hit by the bolt anyway.

Darth Mao

I mean, if you can get them with a combo it means they probably don’t have breakaway anyway so you can worry about less wake-up options. If they do have meter then you can read they will wake up and just bait it out and continue your pressure. It’s meter intensive sure but it’s not like Raiden doesn’t have a safe 11f mid that you can stagger with... What I don’t really understand is when you say the bolt fires does it hit them? If it does then it’s win-win for us. Either they sit and take the mix-up/pressure or they try to wake up and waste resources and get hit by the bolt anyway.
It "hits", 'cause the bolt hits exactly during her invincibility frames.

Mandolore1123

It "hits", 'cause the bolt hits exactly during her invincibility frames.
Ah then it’ll just be another read we make. If they wake up we lose the setup but we can still block in time and pressure in their negative frames. Not too bad I feel. Though I need to play more to find out

MKF30

I grinded already, now I'm too bored to bother.
I feel your pain lol. Also, not sure about anyone else but you grind the tot for those last couple of skins and yet they damn game keeps giving me augments and not skins. Random my ass lol. It's like the game knows I want the skins and is like "nope, getting augments haha" I think NRS programmed the game to troll.

Darth Mao

I feel your pain lol. Also, not sure about anyone else but you grind the tot for those last couple of skins and yet they damn game keeps giving me augments and not skins. Random my ass lol. It's like the game knows I want the skins and is like "nope, getting augments haha" I think NRS programmed the game to troll.
100%

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Ok so, my trait in this game is literally guessing everything wrong.

My last match today was against a Sonya and I literally guessed wrong 9 times in a row and lost.

That being said, I played against a good Raiden before, literally guessed wrong on all jump kick throw mixups and b2 on wakeup and everything else, and somehow STILL won.

I mean I was crying about Cage whiffing but dam man wtf is this char no comment lol

Mahjunia

Noob
Ok so, my trait in this game is literally guessing everything wrong.

My last match today was against a Sonya and I literally guessed wrong 9 times in a row and lost.

That being said, I played against a good Raiden before, literally guessed wrong on all jump kick throw mixups and b2 on wakeup and everything else, and somehow STILL won.

I mean I was crying about Cage whiffing but dam man wtf is this char no comment lol
Worst Char in the game bruuh

Even this character's Augments suck. I've barely started playing Terminator and already getting neat shit like "gain 4 hits of armor every 30 seconds" etc.
Been playing Raiden since launch and just piles of shitty "rolling thunder lasts for 4 more seconds".

Last edited:

Darth Mao

I got some cool things like more damage to airbone foes and 9% for each earthrealmer. Also this patch destroyed my AI build because cpu just never uses Jo Push in combos, even with Combo 30

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Been playing Raiden since launch and just piles of shitty "rolling thunder lasts for 4 more seconds".
Funny thing is that it's probably a downgrade because by that time the cloud will not stand anywhere relevant unless you switch sides successfully every damn time. And you can't call a new one because the old one is still there.

Mandolore1123

Even this character's Augments suck. I've barely started playing Terminator and already getting neat shit like "gain 4 hits of armor every 30 seconds" etc.
All I ever put on are coin augments or soul augments. I never bother with changing the properties of my moves. Especially since the AI never punishes storm cell

MKF30

Over time I've slowly formed the opinion that TW is a superior variation to Raijin for most MUs, which seems to be against what most Raiden mains think.

I find well timed far teleports just seem to consistently bamboozle even very good opponents and disrupt their flow.
Exactly. His teleport is what makes Raiden, Raiden. Notice NRS wouldn't dare take away Scorpion's teleport, but Raiden? He's ok to dick over apparently. lol

JeffX

Remove armor on fatal blows now
Exactly. His teleport is what makes Raiden, Raiden. Notice NRS wouldn't dare take away Scorpion's teleport, but Raiden? He's ok to dick over apparently. lol

Yeah the superman cancels are all fake considering how - they are. B12 cancelled into far teleport is literally the best thing he has going for him. Also this is easier to hit consistently with long input window timing.

JontyHar23

Never Stop Improving
Over time I've slowly formed the opinion that TW is a superior variation to Raijin for most MUs, which seems to be against what most Raiden mains think.

I find well timed far teleports just seem to consistently bamboozle even very good opponents and disrupt their flow.
While Raijin's safety is nice, I agree that I feel more comfortable with Thunder Wave's mobility in most matchups. I'd argue TW has slighty better zoning too, but I digress.

MKF30

I would definitely agree that TW has better zoning and counterzoning than the other two styles. Rajin is more about his buff set ups and rushing down, and his third is just crap lol.

Yeah the superman cancels are all fake considering how - they are. B12 cancelled into far teleport is literally the best thing he has going for him. Also this is easier to hit consistently with long input window timing.
I don't even use the teleports with the cancels, I mean they can work but since the timing is crucial I just use them to confound people or to make them chase me down or to counter zone. One tactic I love doing is if it's close and I need some chip, I'll teleport far and zap them with lightning attacks. lol This is one thing Raiden excels at.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So it looks like that Floaty stance move, Super Bolt, and that low DOT cloud move are the only moves left in Raiden's collection of Special Moves that haven't made it into a variation yet. Half serious, do you think that ends up being his 4th variation, if NRS does a 4th variation?

I love the animation for Super Bolt and it feels badass using it. I didn't find anything noteworthy when I've played around with it though.

The floaty stance thing looked useless to me and the cloud move seemed equally useless.

If they want to reward us for sticking with Raiden so long they should mix teleport with quickcharge for a 4th variation and chuck some buffs in there too.

MKF30

So it looks like that Floaty stance move, Super Bolt, and that low DOT cloud move are the only moves left in Raiden's collection of Special Moves that haven't made it into a variation yet. Half serious, do you think that ends up being his 4th variation, if NRS does a 4th variation?
Lol who knows. Knowing NRS, if they did a 4th variation Raiden would prob have the cloud move and take away his teleport again (Semi serious, semi joking)

Mandolore1123

I would think they’d probably balance out the 3rd variations with another patch first. Similar to how they balanced out the entire roster and made sure all the variations were at least useable before they introduced 3rd variations.