What's new

Lord Raiden General Discussion Thread

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!

In here we discuss everything regarding lord Raiden the true god of thunder, master of truth and light and protector of earthrealm.

Default thread theme

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
How's his combo potential? Does he reach nice damage like Kabal and Scorpion or is he limited comparatively like Jade?

i find raidens tools pretty underwhelming at the first glance but it might all play out in the end. i mean, im still thinking in mkx terms. if you want combo potential, you need storm cell, thats really good.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
i find raidens tools pretty underwhelming at the first glance but it might all play out in the end. i mean, im thinking in mkx terms. if you want combo potential, you need storm cell, thats really good.
You mean the one move where he moves his hands in a circular motion? It seems even with that the most Ketchup and Mustard could get was a jump kick into superman, which I guess implies that Raiden will rely more on zoning and corner carry into that 2,1 string that launches in the corner?

You mean the one move where he moves his hands in a circular motion? It seems even with that the most Ketchup and Mustard could get was a jump kick into superman, which I guess implies that Raiden will rely more on zoning and corner carry into that 2,1 string that launches in the corner?
yes its that move and you can get a good combo off of it with amplify, mid-screen and in the corner. i end with b121+2 right now but im sure more is possible. he is not a good zoner because his frames on the projectiles are bad, theyre more like checks. i dont really know what to make of him yet, he has a bit of everything, but nothing so good that it screams "its THAT archetype!".

well, after a few hours with raiden id say hes a very versatile and tactical character. i played the tournament variation with storm cell and teleport. storm cell is really good because it makes everything safe (except some can d4 under the last hit from close) as it seems and can be confirmed into launch on hit for easy good damage (12~MBstormcell->jik~flight=30%). generally raiden is best at whiff punishing, and though his zoning tools are inferior to a real zoner, his overall toolset forces the opponent into not-so-well-thought actions.

I find this curious because his summoned lightning looks like it could be the best anti-zone tool in the game and a strong zoning tool in its own right.
its slow on startup and really negative on block. it wont stop anyone throwing a projectile after blocking it and also establishing his own zoning, because raidens projectile startups are so slow. it can also only be amplified on hit, so there is no frametrap/mixup. its really just a check that forms some tactical control together with raidens other moves.

i now tried his second tournament variation raijin, which is really more of a zoner, even though it does NOT have summoned lightning. its replaced by a "Get off me" move. he also has a almost 3/4 screen low with the staff. the crucial move is a powerup: it enhances the staff low so that it shoots out ground traveling projectile at the end. also, if the opponent hits you on block three times while its on, you can discharge it for a restand with huge hit advantage it seems. so basically the gameplan is: get it up, zone, if the opponent gets in you block, punish into restand and set up a new zoning situation.

Thanks for the info, @kabelfritz ! I've been salivating for more Raiden info. Can you give us anything regarding standout frame data, exceptional openers (OH, low, mid, etc.), + on block stuff, and/or tools that seem abuseable? Does he seem to have any dirt, or is he looking kind of... Ryu?

Also would really love to see his customization options, intros, and outros. I know this isn't necessarily the thread for that, but nobody seems to be posting them in those threads, either!

Thanks for the info, @kabelfritz ! I've been salivating for more Raiden info. Can you give us anything regarding standout frame data, exceptional openers (OH, low, mid, etc.), and/or tools that seem abuseable? Does he seem to have any dirt, or is he looking kind of... Ryu?

Also would really love to see his customization options, intros, and outros. I know this isn't necessarily the thread for that, but nobody seems to be posting them in those threads, either!
to answer it clearly: he IS ryu. he has answers for everything, but none of these answers is definite. he does not have a super tool, at least not in his tournament variations. i thought storm cell might be something as i wrote before but it seems you can duck the last hit of it when you blocked the previous, so it is NOT a hitconfirmable launcher that makes everything -3 :D but its still good depending on the range you hit it from. in real gameplay without frame data theory, his whiff punishers f2 and f4 are really giving people a hard time. while he has no single outstanding moves, his moveset as a whole is fit to drive the opponent into stupid decisions.

hes got his slow ass overhead and one good low starter.

i have no possibility to make pictures/videos.

to answer it clearly: he IS ryu. he has answers for everything, but none of these answers is definite. he does not have a super tool, at least not in his tournament variations. i thought storm cell might be something as i wrote before but it seems you can duck the last hit of it when you blocked the previous, so it is NOT a hitconfirmable launcher that makes everything -3 :D but its still good depending on the range you hit it from. in real gameplay without frame data theory, his whiff punishers f2 and f4 are really giving people a hard time. while he has no single outstanding moves, his moveset as a whole is fit to drive the opponent into stupid decisions.

Hm... not sure whether to feel like that’s good news or bad news, especially given nobody else seems to have anything blatantly abuseable yet, either. Does he have any strings that jail so you could keep them standing while they block storm cell?

Hm... not sure whether to feel like that’s good news or bad news, especially given nobody else seems to have anything blatantly abuseable yet, either. Does he have any strings that jail so you could keep them standing while they block storm cell?
storm cell is an active special move, not some kind of helpling. you cant do anything else while you do it. it has 2 mid hits that lock them down and the last can be ducked i believe. no one i fought has done it on purpose and consistently though.

storm cell is an active special move, not some kind of helpling. you cant do anything else while you do it. it has 2 mid hits that lock them down and the last can be ducked i believe. no one i fought has done it on purpose and consistently though.
Thanks, I think maybe I wasn’t clear. I meant that if he could combo into storm cell with a string that jails them into standing, then maybe you could use that to circumvent the weakness. But I didn’t get that the last hit of storm cell itself doesn’t jail, which makes the whole question moot. So does it seem like you can space it somehow to prevent punishment?

its slow on startup and really negative on block. it wont stop anyone throwing a projectile after blocking it and also establishing his own zoning, because raidens projectile startups are so slow. it can also only be amplified on hit, so there is no frametrap/mixup. its really just a check that forms some tactical control together with raidens other moves.
I see, thanks.
What do you think of his flying stance?

Thanks, I think maybe I wasn’t clear. I meant that if he could combo into storm cell with a string that jails them into standing, then maybe you could use that to circumvent the weakness. But I didn’t get that the last hit of storm cell itself doesn’t jail, which makes the whole question moot. So does it seem like you can space it somehow to prevent punishment?
yes thats what it seems like, havent really tested it.

I see, thanks.
What do you think of his flying stance?
havent tried that either, just the competitive variations.

Does the move for quick charge stay the whole round? Or a limited time? What’s the start up frames and negative frames for it?

How negative is electric burst?