What's new

Lord Raiden Custom Variations Thread

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I figure this can be a thread to post and discuss different Raiden custom variations. I think it's likely Thunder Wave and Raijin remain his top two competitive variations, but depending on how the other moves get tweaked there could be some interesting utility in some of his custom variations. Plus sometimes it's fun just to mess around with different moves or variation just to try and use a certain move. I'll reserve the 2nd post to act as a spot to summarize the different custom variations that people come up with, just sort of list out the moves, general idea or strategy behind the custom variation, maybe some of the B&B combos of the build, or general tips and tricks. If people come up with some rad names feel free to share those as well. Let's have some fun with this!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
1. Storm Cell (DB2) - Electric Burst (DF2) - Quick Charge (DB3)

-Similar to Thunder Wave, but Raiden loses his Teleport
-Keeps most combo routes/damage from Thunder Wave variation
-Adds some semi-safe harassment options with Quick Charge/Electric Burst (Use with F4, F2, B12)
-If the opponent keeps flawless blocking the Electric Burst Raiden can mix in some Storm Cells
-Potential for some Restand combos in the corner using Quick Charge
-This variation would look to keep the damage and combos of Thunder Wave, while also incorporating the safety of Raijin.

2. Storm Cell (DB2) - Rolling Thunder (DB3) - Lightning Rod (DB4)

-Keeps most combo routes/damage from Thunder Wave variation
-Gives Raiden some potential setups with the Rod, combined with some slight extra DOT damage.
-This variation would look to keep the damage and combos from Thunder Wave, but create additional setups and damage opportunities from DOT.

3. Storm Cell (DB2) - Lightning Storm (DU) - Super Bolt (BF3)

-Raiden loses Electric Fly, so a lot of the current TW combos that use Electric Fly would need to be altered
-Super Bolt is safe when held and has a KB that triggers on a full charge kounter or punish. This can be used as a safe meaty on the opponent when Raiden is at a distance, and also potentially as a safe string ender. If the opponent starts to guess the Super Bolt Raiden can mix in a few Storm Cells to try and catch their punish.
-Super Bolt travels a long way and can get over low projectiles, giving Raiden a chance to potentially get in on some characters who utilize low projectiles
-Lightning Storm can be amped, and if amped combos into the overhead. The overhead is safe. Raiden can be jabbed out of his Lightning Storm Stance on startup, but it's a tight window, and Storm Cell can be used to try and catch opponents attempting to jab out of it.
-Used properly, Lightning Storm gives Raiden a safe way to end strings or buttons with solid chip, or pressure wakeup

4. Quick Charge (DB3) - Electric Current (DB4) - Lightning Storm (DU) (h/t @Mandolore1123 )

This variation offers:
  • Safety in the form of AMP float~3 which has variable frame data depending on where you land
  • Access to all of Raiden's zoning tools (Lightning strikeDF2, electric bolt BF1, electric current DB4, float~1)
  • Mobility with float and electric fly (AKA superman/fly)
  • Summon lightning DB2 anti-air and armor break
  • Fly cancels to make space
-This variation would likely have less damage and mobility than Thunder Wave, but would give Raiden multiple ways to try and keep the opponent guessing after strings, and give Raiden plenty of wakeup pressure options.

5. Storm Cell (DB2) - Quick Charge (DB3) - Lightning Rod (DB4)

-Same TW combos
-Quick charge affords a way to deal with chip, offers a good punish tool
-Lightning Rod offers setus

6. Storm Cell (DB2) - Quick Charge (DB3) - Super Bolt (BF3)

-Potential safety/wakeup pressure with Super Bolt, maybe some corner combos
-Quick Charge can help deal with chip

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
One thing to note, I saw on YouTube that apparently Lightning Storm has a bit of a bug when the opponent is in the corner. It looks like after doing the AMP Raiden immeadiately goes into the cancel and is unable to follow up with the Overhead. I'm guessing it's a spacing issue with the opponent not being pushed back as far due to being in the corner, and Raiden getting close enough to the opponent where it triggers the end of the float animation.

Hopefully they can find a way to "fix" this, although it might just be a spacing issue.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
One thing to note, I saw on YouTube that apparently Lightning Storm has a bit of a bug when the opponent is in the corner. It looks like after doing the AMP Raiden immeadiately goes into the cancel and is unable to follow up with the Overhead. I'm guessing it's a spacing issue with the opponent not being pushed back as far due to being in the corner, and Raiden getting close enough to the opponent where it triggers the end of the float animation.

Hopefully they can find a way to "fix" this, although it might just be a spacing issue.

Have never experienced this myself :eek: Hopefully this will be fixed in the coming patch

Unless patch is very big and Raiden gets tons of changes,Raijin/TW will remain his best variations. My personal preference would be Storm Cell/Electric Burst/Quick Charge. I am too used to SC and its a pretty good move regardless,combining it with other 2 is nice. I am more stoked for the fact that B14 is +1 and that system changes slightly benefit Raiden (if they are properly executed).

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I might just start throwing out some combinations, since we'll probably have a good idea which moves can be combined with other moves. Then I'll leave some general thoughts and initial reactions, and if anyone finds any cool tech, combos, or good strategy feel free to tag me and I'll do my best to update.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Good News: It looks like Lightning Storm works in the corner just fine, and they added a "close" version of the Overhead using B3 instead of 3.

Bad News: Super Bolt is a mid, but whiffs at closer ranges on ducking opponents. (Edit: might only be a Jacqui issue. Also still connects on her if she's in the corner)

I'm sure the Patch Notes will be out soon and tell us more. D1 has been adjusted, because I can now jail D1 into S1.

Last edited:

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Just playing through before getting back to work:

Other than the change noted above Lighting Rod seems similar. Still stays out the same amount of time.

The Projectile on Lightning Storm is still super unsafe unless you're at a really far distance.

Overall the changes to his moves seem fairly minor. We'll know more when we get the notes.

Darth Mao

Your Tech is Mine! #buffRaiden
Good News: It looks like Lightning Storm works in the corner just fine, and they added a "close" version of the Overhead using B3 instead of 3.

Bad News: Super Bolt is a mid, but whiffs at closer ranges on ducking opponents.

I'm sure the Patch Notes will be out soon and tell us more. D1 has been adjusted, because I can now jail D1 into S1.
Wait, b3 now is an overhead?

Yo anyone care to share details about Raiden? I am not on PC and it shouldnt be hard to figure out. I see that d1 jailing is fixed,I know about B14,Super Bolt and Lightning Rod. Stance appears to be terrible. Besides this is there anything else? If not I think this is the single shittiest bait of a patch ever lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What does stance give you compared to TW/Raijin or something with L Rod? With the exception of being a different move? What can it do better than these?
You can do something like B12-DU-Amp-Overhead, or F4-DU-Amp-Overhead. There's a small window where the opponent can jab out of it, but if they're too slow they'll get clipped by the Amp, and the Overhead can combo off the Amp. The overhead is safe as well. So you're getting mostly safe chip off of pretty much any string or normal. If the opponent starts jabbing out of the Float Stance, Raiden can start mixing in Storm Cell and catch them for a full combo, just to give them something else to think about.

Basically I see Lighting Strike as a way to add safety to strings and pokes, chip damage, safe wakeup pressure, and even potentially a way to deal with low projectiles using the projectile from the stance. Plus you could combine it with either Lightning Rod or Rolling Thunder for potential DOT or setups. For example, you throw out the rolling thunder cloud, then hit them with a string and they need to sit there and block, all the while taking chip and DOT.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Yeah, who knows how things actually play out, or if people find some option selects or what. I'm bummed more wasn't done, but I'm still overall pretty happy with the ability to have customs and explore these kinds of things.

I am kinda disappointed not much more was done. I was expecting some legit smoothing out of a character. Touching all moves,revamping some of them,giving Raiden universal special-cancelable launcher and also executing changes properly. I already see here that Super Bolt is hitting mid but whiffing on ducking characters. It seems like NRS are unable to perform procedure of actually doing their job and I am kinda offended by how bad this shit is. I am not gonna lie,I truly expected more but again I am reminded who is making these changes.

Mandolore1123

Just playing through before getting back to work:

Other than the change noted above Lighting Rod seems similar. Still stays out the same amount of time.

The Projectile on Lightning Storm is still super unsafe unless you're at a really far distance.

Overall the changes to his moves seem fairly minor. We'll know more when we get the notes.
Disappointing really. I thought they’d at least prolong the duration and make it so you can’t jab him out of the float on startup

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

So after labbing and playing against some people with Raiden's customs. I think I'll still stick to my choice of Lightning storm (AKA float)//Quick charge (QC)//Electric current (AKA low staff).
This variation offers:
  • Safety in the form of AMP float~3 which has variable frame data depending on where you land
  • Access to all of Raiden's zoning tools (Lightning strikeDF2, electric bolt BF1, electric current DB4, float~1)
  • Mobility with float and electric fly (AKA superman/fly)
  • Summon lightning DB2 anti-air and armour break
  • Fly cancels to make space
To my ability (or lack thereof) I don't think that you will be able to OS float AMP and grab ender of B12 (if someone can do it please tell me), so even though float is full interruptible if they press a button after B12 you can do the grab ender to stuff it. I think this is a good general purpose build with a little bit of everything. What are all your thoughts?

@Marlow @Darth Mao

I can imagine this will lose out to the really hard core zoners since when when Raiden is in the air many moves can hit him out of it. Not to mention anything but the amplify off the float is very unsafe and many in the cast can full combo punish the diagonal projectile (Scorpion, Geras, Cetrion, Jacqui, Johnny, Jade, Liu Kang, etc), but that's just one aspect of the matchup, and Raiden does have other tools that help him deal with zoning slightly better.